Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hand quilting

k3n
    Blog Entries
    I do both dependng on the project...

Blog Entries
    I do some hand quilting. Not every quilt though. I like to hand quilt some nights when there's a show or a movie that DH and I want to watch on Netflix.

cjr
    I machine piece and machine quilt. However I am handquitling a quilt now that has sentimental vintage fabric in it. I am following pattern of blocks since this is a geometric design. I am enjoying doing this but will continue to machine quilt as it is so much faster.

I also hand quilt. I have done 3 bed size quilts and currently working on my 4th. But I am as slow as molassis in February! On average it takes me about 3 years to handquilt a bed size quilt. Granted I can go up to a month without picking it up, especially in the summer when it is too darn hot to sit under the quilt. I use a lap hoop. Because it takes me so long to handquilt I have also taken up LA quilting. Here are some pictures of some of my handquilting.

lone star
    Name:  Attachment-165464.jpe
Views: 18
Size:  75.7 KB

close up of cat quilting using fabric as design
    Name:  Attachment-165465.jpe
Views: 11
Size:  56.8 KB

current quilt tiger quilting
    Name:  Attachment-165466.jpe
Views: 14
Size:  123.4 KB

I do hand quilting. In fact, this week I pulled out a project that has been around awhile! (Started in 1985) It is a hand pieced and hand quilted sampler quilt I started in a class. It was a quilt as you go project where you quilt each block then put the rows together and eventually the entire top. It is further along than I remembered which made me glad and got me stoked about working on it.

I like the small frame and tend to quilt as I watch television with my DH. Maybe this is the time to get it finished and on a bed!

Blog Entries
    I'm a newby and have only been quilting for a little over a year .
    I've only hand quilted until today. I'm trying my first applique and baby quilt for unwed mothers who keep their babies. I agree there is something special about hand quilting, I've been watching and a lot of quilters still hand quilt. I will still hand quilt for those I have special feelings for and that I know will appreciate all of the time and work it takes to hand quilt. If you watch this board many quilters have found that their quilts given with such love have not been received with the same feelings they were given, very disappointing and hurtfully if you see all of your work in the dirt or doghouse, has happened to people on this board
    Mamia

Blog Entries
    I would love to, but even after carpal tunnel surgery over a year ago my hand won't let me sew anything by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    Here are some pictures of some of my handquilting.
    Beautiful - love the batik kitties. :)

I do some of the quilts I make. I think of my granny when I do it or see a handquilted quilt. She made so many through the years and I never go one of them.

community benefactor Parrothead's Avatar
    I hand quilt. Was the way I learned. I find it relaxing and can do it while watching baseball and other TV in my comfy chair.

I also hand quilt. I have done 3 bed size quilts and currently working on my 4th. But I am as slow as molassis in February! On average it takes me about 3 years to handquilt a bed size quilt. Granted I can go up to a month without picking it up, especially in the summer when it is too darn hot to sit under the quilt. I use a lap hoop. Because it takes me so long to handquilt I have also taken up LA quilting. Here are some pictures of some of my handquilting.
    These are awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by TN Donna
    I do some of the quilts I make. I think of my granny when I do it or see a handquilted quilt. She made so many through the years and I never go one of them.
    My Grandma hand quilted all of hers too and I never got one. I was fortunate enough to get some old feed/flour sack fabrics from her before she passed away. I am planning on making wall hangings or small lap quilts for my brother and sisters from them.

community benefactor Parrothead's Avatar
    Your quilting is awesome, I love it. I use a big oval hoop on a stand but sometimes just bring the quilt into my lap.

Blog Entries
    I hand quilt, very relaxing & my frame is set up in the livingroom, that way I can spend time with DH & watch (listen ) to the tv.
    I have done 3 queen, 9 twin & 3 double. I enjoyed them all.
    I do machine piece.

I love hand quilting. I either do that or crochet when I'm relaxing in the evening, watching tv with hubby

Oh yeah, there are lots of us...I just enjoy the slow process, however the lady from I think Germany, I cannot hold a light to her....I have done 12 -15 quilts so far started 3 yrs or so. My Mom quilted and tried her best to teach me while I was working, somethings stuck, but had no idea when I started would just consume my thoughts...I start looking for the next idea when I just start one...memepeggy

I prefer to hand quilt but can only do that in winter as it's just too hot in summer here. I find it very relaxing to hand quilt.

I hand quilt. I'm currently working on a king size quilt as you go quilt. It will probably take me years to finish it but I love it.

I just finished hand quilting a quilt for a friend. She had embroidered the blocks and set them together. I love to do those as I don't have to mark them. I hate marking. I would quilt for someone who would do my marking for me. I have taken several lessons for machine quilting, but I just can't make it look like the pros do. I can't stitch in the ditch as I can't stay in the ditch, even with a stitch-in-the-ditch food.

Hinterland....

I was wondering if you could explain a little more about the netting? Once you trace the pattern on to the netting what are you marking on the quilt with? Also....I have always used a hoop when I hand quilt, how difficult is it to not have the quilt pulled smooth and tight and just hold it ? Is there any trick to it? I tried it once, but only for about 5 seconds and then quit and went back to the hoop..

Any suggestions would be appreciated...Laura

I do all my quilting without a hoop. I just can't get the hang of using a hoop. I have no problem quilting without a hoop, I just make sure the quilt is basted real good. Then I curl up on the couch and spread the quilt around me and start quilting.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I hand quilt all my quilts. I love doing it and it seems more personal. motorhome quilter

Blog Entries
    I hand quilt and prefer it over machine quilting. I find it very relaxing.

I only do hand quilting. I would like to do some machine quilting but I do not like the look of machine quilting. I know, I'm old fashioned. It does take a lot of time but it is very relaxing to me. Give it a try and see what you think. :-D

I hand piece and hand quilt. For me it is not how many quilts I can get done it is the pleasure of doing something with my hands that usually produces something I like. When I sew at the machine I hurt my back and want to hurry up and it just isn't as much fun as sitting in my big chair and watching something stupid on TV and sewing away. I also like to think of hand quilting and hand piecing as getting more bang for my buck. I tell myself I can spend more money on material because it will take me longer to make the quilt therefore I will get more for my money. Ha! I have a little plastic frame that I use. I put my feet up on a little stool and I can lean back and sew without it hurting my back or my neck or anything else. It is lovely!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast