Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hand quilting thread

Hand quilting thread

I am new to hand quilting and was wondering what type of thread I should use. Please advise. Thanks mary r

I use gutermann hand-quilting thread and really like it.

I use a variety...Guterman; coats & clark; americana (found at JoAnn's for $1/spool). As long as they are labeled hand-quilting I'm not too picky. Color is more important to me. The Americana brand at JoAnns does have a tendency to be a bit heavier and I have difficulty using it with the #12 Roxanne needles. It's usually ok with the #11's. I also like to use Thread Heaven to condition the thread vs. beeswax.

dd
    I also use any variety of quilting thread as NJ Quilter stated but I don't use any conditioner on my quilting thread. A lot of it is glazed so not sure the conditioner does anything. Just one less step. I was told to look for glazed thread to hand quilt with but I have used machine quilting thread too, just because it was the right color and I already had it. I also use a larger needle, #9 I think. Easier for my short, fat fingers to handle.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Blog Entries
    I use a variety of threads. But, all must be labeled "hand quilting". Coats and Clarks is what I use most.
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook at Leesa's Fabrics

I use YLI glazed cotton hand quilting thread. Love it! It easily pulls through fabric without having to add any kind of extra coating to it and, for me at least, never tangles up. It's a 40wt, 3 ply, 100% cotton thread, made in America and it comes in 26 colors.
    http://www.roserushbrooke.com/yli-quilting-1000.html
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

YLI, Aurifil, and Precensia all make wonderful hand quilting threads. But if these are not available to you, use any 40 wt. that is. To confuse matters, there's also #9 Perle Cotton that works nicely for the Big Stitch. The Big Stitch is a running stitch that is 1/4 inch on top and 1/8th inch on back (according to Billy Lauder in her book on Big Stitch).

I also hand quilt and I use YLI. It seems to be less prone to tangling and if it does, it's easy to get the tangle out. I order it from Keepsake Quilting (I think) or is to Connecting Threads? It's been a while since I've ordered any since I usually order more than one spool.

Power Poster
    I currently like Guterman's hand quilting thread.

I prefer Gutterman's thread. I love to hand quilt and always have a quilt on the frame. Gutterman is a strong thread and it does not shred or get fiber bunches on it.

Blog Entries
    My favorites are YLI and Presencia... I'm fairly new to hand quilting, but these two have performed wonderfully. Thanks for asking this... I'm keeping up with the answers of the more experienced hand quilters!
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."