hand quilting vs machine quilting >

hand quilting vs machine quilting

hand quilting vs machine quilting

Old 01-31-2012, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by gus View Post
If I had to hand quilt I wouldn't be quilting
me too!!!!
Old 01-31-2012, 05:30 PM

I hand quilted a queen size quilt that my SIL pieced for me--It's beautiful. That said, it took me over a year to quilt it and I will never hand quilt another one. I don't have a LA, do all my quilting on my Janome 6600. I also want that almost instant gratification of getting the quilt completed quickly.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:31 PM

Some of hand quilt, some of us machine quilt, others send them out to be hand or machine quilted. Each to their own and there really isn't any clear answer as to which is better. It is a matter of preference. I can always tell if it is machine quilted. I do prefer hand quilted.....but that is my preference. For some reason, machine quilted just seems "assembly line" to me, but then again that is just my take on it and I don't mean that to be derrogatory in any manner toward anyone.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:40 PM

Handquilting is someting you have to really want to do because it is so time consuming. I have hand quilted 2 queen sized quilts. I like to handquilt at least one quilt a year over the Winter. However, I also enjoy machine quilting just as much or better because it is so much faster.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:44 PM

NO ! No Way would I hand quilt a queen size quilt. I would either quilt it on my sewing machine or send it out. There are women who hand quilt a queen for about $300 or more. Let your husband either start quilting, send it out for someone else to hand quilt it or you do it your way. I'm not too good about having my DH decide my work load.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:50 PM

I used to hand quilt, but my wrists & thumbs won't let me anymore. I think that machine quilting can be as beautiful as hand. So my vote is for machine quilting, unless, as others have mentioned, you make it a joint effort with your dh.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:18 PM
Power Poster

Has your DH seen any quilts that were machine quilted by professionals? Does he realize how beautiful they can be? Does he realize that they are just as much heirloom-worthy as hand quilted items? Perhaps you could take him to one of the big quilt shows. I fully appreciate hand quilting, but if it's not what you want to do then you should be able to convince him to either learn to hand quilt or let you send the quilt out to the LAQ.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:38 PM
Power Poster

I use to hand quilt and the last one took me 2 yrs to finish, fingers got mighty sore. I bought a sewing machine with a bigger throat and learned how to machine quilt and have not looked back. At 66 yrs old I just want to make quilts and use up some of my fabrics.
I tell my Husband of 50yrs. if he wants to do something he can do it, I don't let him pick out things for me to do. Just the way I am.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:13 PM
Banned

There is a larger issue here and one which probably can't be solved with getting the opinions of other quilters. There is an emotional issue going on. Is he wanting it hand quilted or for YOU to hand quilt it. It appears he definitely wants it hand quilted because emotionally he believes that is the ony authentic way to do it.
The suggestion to find someone else to hand quilt it is a good one if he would agree to that. On the other hand he built a frame for you.....am glad I am not in this position. I'm not sure what I would do.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:21 PM
Power Poster

I do enjoy hand quilting but I am slow at it. A queen size would take me about a year. If he doesn't mind seeing it sitting there on the frame, I would do a block a week. It is the same as the saying, "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time." I love having several projects going at one time so I would quilt a block and then move on to other things the rest of the week. I guess I have a short attention span and I get bored if I work at something too long. That being said, do what feels "right" for you. Quilting is supposed to be our joy not drudgery.