Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
hand quilting vs machine quilting >

hand quilting vs machine quilting

hand quilting vs machine quilting

Old 02-02-2012, 04:50 AM

If you don't want to do it, I suggest you don't do it. Surely your husband is not a big bully who will make you do it? My suggestion would be to do what you are happy to do.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:52 AM

Ask who is making the quilt--ask if he would like to assist and it will take a long time-
Old 02-02-2012, 05:40 AM

I think he is trying to recapture a memory of his mother. I would do it jointly because that would also create a memory.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:18 AM

I hand quilted a 106x106 log cabin for a friend for her wedding gift and it took me about 4 months but it was so beautiful when it was done and right now I am hand quilting a 80x85 mystery quilt for her sister as a wedding gift. I LOVE to hand quilt and find it relaxing but it does take a lot of time. My goal is to learn to machine quilt but everytime I try it looks terrible and I get discouraged and go back to hand quilting.

I'm positive the quilt will look beautiful no matter which way you decide to do it
Old 02-02-2012, 06:19 AM

If I ASKED him to make the cherry frame, I would put this quilt on it. It may take years to finish, might even be part of my estate when I die, unfinished, but it would show him that I appreciated it.
Then, I would show him the responses from people like me, who do not hand quilt.
I guess I did, once. I finished a maple leaf quilt that my husband's grandmother left, but I used the 'big stitch' all I could commit to.

If I did NOT ask him to make it, and he did so out of the kindness of his heart, then, I don't know. That's a tough one. Maybe put it in the frame and show him online that men are quilting now too.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:33 AM

I do not hand quilt because of some arthritis issues in my hands but having said that, I still would not hand quilt. Talk about a daunting task!!!! I sympathize that his mother has alzheimers but that's her & things have changed.
He doesn't drive a car from the 1920's does he? He needs to get with the program & get with modern times. I absolutely am envious of hand quilting but it is not for me & a quilt that size would be overwhelming to say the least.
Hopefully, he will understand or do like the others have suggested & teach him how to thread a needle & let him have a go at it. Good luck.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by gus View Post
If I had to hand quilt I wouldn't be quilting
i agree. i don't have the time or patience for hand quilting.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:41 AM

Quilting is supposed to be fun, but when it comes to be an obligation then it becomes a drudgery and even an imposition. When my husband asked me to make him a quilt, I agreed only with the condition that it be quilted by a professional. The fee was well worth it - he has a lovely quilt which he proudly shows to everyone. Besides, if you don't feel comfortable quilting it by hand why punish yourself?
Old 02-02-2012, 12:21 PM

I love to hand quilt and did handquilt a queen size. It can be done. However.............I now machine quilt most things because as a friend said, "there's too many quilts in my head to hand quilt every one of them". I do understand where he's coming from. I used to think it was a mortal sin to machine quilt and switching was a lot like changing my religion. I decided it was better for my grandchildren to have all those completed quilts rather than my only having finished one or two.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:32 PM

Quilting by hand or by machine simply produces a different look but the end result is the same - to show off the beauty of the top and to keep the layers from shifting. Buy your husband a book on the history of quilting, then do whichever you are most comfortable with. The point is to finish it, not turn it into a UFO!