Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
hand quilting w/o quilting frames? >

hand quilting w/o quilting frames?

hand quilting w/o quilting frames?

Old 04-21-2011, 07:25 PM

Hello,
I have hand quilted before but with my Grandma's quilting frames. I am just completing a quilt that I would love to hand quilt but I don't have any frames.

Can I hand quilt without those big things and if so how?
Is it possible to pin it good and just start?
Thank you for your suggestions!
Old 04-21-2011, 07:31 PM

I have done 2 quilts this way. I do pin them really well and then I just use my pvc quilting frame. I do not know if they are still available but I would think they would be. I think I actually enjoy using it more than a quilting frame because I can turn it whichever way I want, have it tilted at any angle that is comfortable and if it is winter, the quilt on my lap is warm. When I am done with a section, I lay the quilt out on the carpet and then frame another section and away I go. :-) I would think somewhere there is a quilting hoop made for quilts to do on your lap.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:33 PM
Power Poster

I hand baste my quilts and then quilt them in a hoop. Mine is about 16 inches (I think).
I've never used a frame.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:06 PM

I don't use a frame when I handquilt. I use a 14" hoop.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:09 PM

If you have room for a frame you can make one easily and inexpensively. You will need 4 pieces of 1x3 boards long enough to accomidate your quilt size and 4 c-clamps. also a package of thumb tacks. Use the thumb tacks to fasten the quilt sandwich to the boards and clamp the corners together. You can set the corners on the backs of chairs to support it. As you finish the edge where you are working just undo the two clamps on that end, roll it back and re-clamp.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Kat Sews
If you have room for a frame you can make one easily and inexpensively. You will need 4 pieces of 1x3 boards long enough to accomidate your quilt size and 4 c-clamps. also a package of thumb tacks. Use the thumb tacks to fasten the quilt sandwich to the boards and clamp the corners together. You can set the corners on the backs of chairs to support it. As you finish the edge where you are working just undo the two clamps on that end, roll it back and re-clamp.
My Mother did this with a few differences. She stapled 2" wide felt down each board & used embroidery floss to sew the quilt to the frame. She also put pulleys in her ceiling & tied cords to the ends of the boards. She pulls it down to quilt & up to watch TV or have company over.

I, however use a 12' hoop. First I spray baste then, just to make sure, I'll do some thread basting,(not as close as I would've if I hadn't sprayed it.) I can take this anywhere I want to.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:10 AM

Hi Tana,
welcome on the board!
Yes, you can quilt without a frame. I quilt in a hoop on a floor stand and sometimes in a 16" lap hoop and it works just fine. I prefer thread basting because I don't like the pins, they are always in my way and the quilting thread tangles around them. Many quilters also quilt without a hoop and they are happy with it!
You can use the Search-function here on the board and you will find many threads about this topic.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:31 AM

I hand quilt with no frame and no hoop. Just put the quilt on my lap and quilt away...
Old 04-22-2011, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
I hand quilt with no frame and no hoop. Just put the quilt on my lap and quilt away...
Same here just pin a lot.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:51 AM

I don't use a hoop or frame either. I lower my ironing board to lap level and rest a lot of the weight of the quilt on it. Then I just drape the quilt over my lap and quilt. And yes, I pin a lot, too.