Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
hand tying a quilt?? >

hand tying a quilt??

hand tying a quilt??

Old 04-19-2010, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by CraftsByRobin
I love this discussion as I was thinking of hand tying a couple of quilts I'm working on. Anyone got pictures of where they have hand tied?
I have a couple pictures, but not a clue how to post them. I do pretty well in the sewing room, but dd's tell me I should stay away from the computer!! My pictures are in Picasa. Anyone know how I would do it??
Old 04-19-2010, 08:06 AM

Check out a previous post on Turkey Tracks. I love the wa this comes out and have done it on a couple of baby quilts and a table runner. It looks beautiful, with no exposed knots.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:28 AM

I have hand-tied several quilts. I think it gives the quilt a more rustic appearance, but it holds the batting well as long as you put the ties close enough together. Check the packaging on your batting to see how close they need to be. I'm working on a flannel scrap quilt just now that I plan to hand tie. I have always used embroidery thread rather than yarn. I don't like the look of yarn.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by lfw045
Tied quilts last just as long as hand quilted ones. They wash up just as nicely and if tied correctly and tight, as they should be, baby quilts are fine with being tied also.
I agree. Before I learned to "quilt", I hand tied all quilts I made. some with yarn, some with embroidery floss. I like the floss better, it does hold up to years of washings. I like the look, and don't think it should ever be forgotten. we should all do some now and then, so they are around for many generations.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:06 AM

I never really thouhgt about making a tied quilt - I need to look into this and try one. Plenty of interesting comments on tied quilts vs quilted. I'm a hand quilter.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:24 AM

I've been a hand quilter for 20 years, now I'm a long arm quilter toooooo (lucky meeee). Before that I tied my quilts, and some of the quilts for my Guild's Community donations are still tied.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:29 AM

I'll bet that if you hand quilt that Trip quilt you will lovelovelove it! My hand quilting group has finished some mighty homely-looking quilts over the years and it is amazing how they "pretty up" once finished!
Old 04-19-2010, 12:53 PM

I have tied a couple of quilts with yarn and it was hard to get threw material , batting and backing but I got it threw. i always thought that the other thread was to thin.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:08 PM

My Great Grandmother who came to the U.S from Norway tied all her quilts with yarn ties, my little brother would take one of those yarn ties pull it up between his first and middle finger and brush it across his nose as he sucked his thumb. I think tied quilts, especially flannel backed ones are very comforting.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:23 PM

I have some whole cloth(vintage sheet)tied quilts from my grandmother from 40 years ago that have been USED and are still holding up. She used embroidery thread to tie about every 4" and they have only recently showed any sign of wear on the edges. I have no idea what she used for batting, I suspect a department store blanket. They have a lovely drape after many washings.