Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Handi Quilter - Thoughts?? >

Handi Quilter - Thoughts??

Handi Quilter - Thoughts??

Old 03-09-2010, 12:18 PM

Don't get me wrong with this post....I am NOT running out tomorrow to buy one of these. But being new at this wanted feedback and other options.

I really like that they have the groovy boards. And I liked that I could get a HQ 16 and use it right away, and THEN upgrade to the computerized part of it.

Does anyone have thoughts or other options I should consider. I just want to be sure I'm not missing alternatives and though I would come to the experts to be informed.

~Mike
Old 03-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Power Poster

They always looked cool to me. I ended up going with the Grace Pinni frame. It was priced right and I love it. I can use my Juki til I can get a long arm.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:35 PM

i have an hq16 and will be adding the computer sometime
i could of spent less on another brand of even more what sold me was haveing a representative i liked and trusted
Old 03-09-2010, 12:43 PM

For several weeks I spent time looking at long arm machine info. (just for fun, because it's not in my budget). If I could buy one at all, I'd get the Handi Quilter Avante. The only ones that I studied that I might possibly like better are more pricey and sophisticated and way more machine than I need.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:50 PM

I would recommend that you take a class and get your drivers liscence on the hq 16 before making any decisions. I have mine and do like the hq 16, but am concidering purchasing a voyager. I have tried it as well and like the way it quilts and the price is half of the hq 16. I would shop around and try out your options before deciding to purchase.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:01 PM

Thanks, and I agree 100%.

Like I said I'm not running out and buying one, but wanted to get opinions about what people liked, or other options to consider. :)

~Mike
Old 03-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Power Poster

I have the HQ 16 and really like it, I have some groovy boards as well to go with it, some days I would like something a bit bigger, but for what I use it for it is great.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:36 PM

I have HQ16 and absolutely love it. You should be able to get a pretty sweet deal on the 16 now that two larger machines have come out.

If you go to www.mqresource.com, in the forums, under MARKETPLACE one of the gals has a pretty sweet deal on an HQ16 set up because she is getting the largest HQ.

These are VERY low maintenance machines. I've had mine for 3 years now, use it DAILY, and have not had it in for service yet.

Good luck with your decision, BUT, if you look at other models, be sure to ask about maintenance on the machines. You'll be quite shocked.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Power Poster

i have had my HQ-16 for about 5 years now, and have been pretty happy with it...only issue i've had was distance, my problem, not their's. I am starting to feel like it would be nice to think about changing up to something else but it was a good machine to learn on and i have put out some pretty nice quilts :thumbup:
i do think though if you are in an area where there are an assortment of machines to try out you should try out as many different brands as possible before making a purchase. i am happy with my machine, but really wish i had looked around a bit more. i have seen some with some cool features. mine does have a stitch regulator and the lazer stylis for doing pantigraphs. i guess an important part of the decision is location of a dealer, for tech and maintenance support...i live in michigan and the handi-quilter company is in utah; the closest shop here is over 300 miles away. the company has been very good about helping me 'long-distance' with tech support and with mechanical issues.
good luck, i do believe it is worth the money as a beginner long-arm quilter to learn and practice on.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by crashnquilt
I have HQ16 and absolutely love it. You should be able to get a pretty sweet deal on the 16 now that two larger machines have come out.

If you go to www.mqresource.com, in the forums, under MARKETPLACE one of the gals has a pretty sweet deal on an HQ16 set up because she is getting the largest HQ.

These are VERY low maintenance machines. I've had mine for 3 years now, use it DAILY, and have not had it in for service yet.

Good luck with your decision, BUT, if you look at other models, be sure to ask about maintenance on the machines. You'll be quite shocked.
Hmmm I went here and signed up and got to the forums but didn't see a marketplace? I'll keep looking...