Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Handiquilter 16 / Qnique 15/16” >

Handiquilter 16 / Qnique 15/16”

Handiquilter 16 / Qnique 15/16”

Old 03-25-2021, 03:01 PM

Default Handiquilter 16 / Qnique 15/16”

I’m looking to buy a 15 or 16” used or refurb Qnique or HQ 16. From what I’m seeing, there’s really no good comparisons on YouTube or anywhere. All I can find is product videos from Angela Walters and Leah Day. Don’t get me wrong, they’re both great, but it would be nice to see some non-biased reviews. I don’t have any dealers nearby to go and compare. If anyone on this board has had experience with both machines, can you let me know or if you shopped for both and selected one over the other, which one did you buy or like more? I’ve been on each Facebook group and they’re very loyal. Maybe I can get to a show one day.

Is the stitch regulator an absolute must in your opinion?

Old 03-25-2021, 03:46 PM

Personally, I would go with HQ.
I just bought a Grace frame and they were not great to deal with. (At least the dealer I used.) When I e-mailed to express my concerns, Grace head office didn't even respond.

Watson
Old 03-25-2021, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
Personally, I would go with HQ.
I just bought a Grace frame and they were not great to deal with. (At least the dealer I used.) When I e-mailed to express my concerns, Grace head office didn't even respond.

Watson
Which frame do you have? I have the QZone and I know the HQ16 can go on it but not with stitch regulator. So I started looking at the Qnique because it’s made for that frame.

Old 03-25-2021, 04:33 PM
mkc

Grace expects you to get all support from the dealer you purchased from.

HQ will provide direct support if needed.

Follow the FB pages for both and you will see a lot of issues with Grace machines where folks have had to send their machines back for replacement (they couldn't be repaired, they had to be replaced). They don't sound as serviceable. I considered both, but there were way too many issues with reliability and durability (and serviceability) of the grace machines. People buying the TOL 21 Pro machines only to have the internal linkage fail catastrophically and un-repairably.

Watch the videos from the headquarters of both and you will see Grace is basically a front office to a warehouse that receives fully assembled units from the far east. HQ actually assembles a lot of things in-house and tests every machine at the end of the line.

Get hands on with both machines and you will find HQ is less plastic, much better fit and finish. Better motors. More robust frames. Fantastic owner education videos.

Last edited by mkc; 03-25-2021 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-25-2021, 11:20 PM

I understand your concern re: having to use the foot pedal. My husband designed a speed control using a bike brake handle so that you can control the speed from the handles. If you do decide on the HQ, I can send you the PDF on how to do it.

Watson

Old 03-26-2021, 05:17 AM

I bought a used HQ16, and not having any other to compare with by my own experience, I think I'd still go with the HQ if I had it all to do over. After reading many comments about the Grace products and lack of customer service, I am glad that's what I started with. We have an HQ vendor nearby who can service the machine and answers all my stupid questions patiently.
Old 03-26-2021, 05:56 AM

Maybe when this country opens up completely, there can be quilt shows, expos or whatever they are called. That is where they usually have different quilting models that you can try. Nothing like trying a product before buying. Good luck and enjoy whatever you decide on.
Old 03-27-2021, 07:07 PM

So i have had the Qnique 15R since 2018. Just traded it in and got the HQ Amara 20, with the Pro Stitcher software.. Machine was delivered yesterday! Already know that i will love it.
The Qnique was a smoother glider on its carriage. It was easy to learn and operate. Plus, i liked the look of it!!!

The HQ seems heavier and just not as smooth. Maybe that means that the HQ is heavy duty? I feel like i will have better control with the HQ.

The Qnique was a great machine. And a fraction of the cost. (Software didn't help the price out!).. The area that you can quilt on a 15” is not that big. And i went from an 8’ frame to a 10’

When i bought the Q it was all the machine i knew i would ever need . I have been happy with it for almost 3 years. And i was never unhappy with it. And not actively looking for something new. Just had an opportunity to upgrade and i went for it.
Things change!

added: Have bought both machines from same dealer. Have never had any issues with the machine (Qnique) or the frame but am confident that the dealer would have made it right had anything happened.

Last edited by Fizzle; 03-27-2021 at 07:15 PM.