Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Handles for totes/purses >

Handles for totes/purses

Handles for totes/purses

Old 09-22-2014, 03:25 AM
Evy

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
You need some sort of closure, a zipper, snap, flap etc, otherwise the bag may gape open. other than that, no problem. You can make the bag & just pin the handles on & see how it does.
RainyBC: It's not you. something happened when they upgraded a week or so ago. Some pictures are being duplicated.
Thanks everyone, RainyBC in particular. That's exactly how I want to do mine. I do plan to put the tab/button closure on the bag like the one featured on the tumbler quilt in Jenny Doan's tute. I have the tumbler bag with one strap, side seam to side seam, and it works very well.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:06 AM

Cute bag. I too like the cross shoulder bags and have used a snap closure. Next time I am going to try the snap top. I hope it will turn out as well as RainyBC's.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:16 AM

I make my bags with a zipper to close the top and use 1 strap, going from side to side. Works for me.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:29 AM

Sometimes when I make bags I will sew a handle on each side but make them longer so I can put them over my shoulder and hang under my arm. If it is a bag the size of the picture measure in about 4" from each end and about 6" apart or find the center and go about 3" on each side of center. Works for me.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:45 PM
Power Poster

I recently made 4 Bow Tucks bags with a longer strap, I just didn't cut them in half. I sewed one at each end of the bag - my DIL was very happy with hers, so her Mom ordered 2 from me with the longer handle and requested a zippered top instead of a button closure, which I did. However, I now wish that I had seen the zipper closure made by Nancy Zieman on Sewing with Nancy, as her instructions were much clearer than the ones I watched as tutorials on You Tube. I guess it lost something in the translation. I put my straps an inch from the side seam on front and back, but I wish now I had just fastened the straps just on the ends; however my DIL loves hers and uses it all the time. I generally use the shorter strap bags, however, I was hoping to reduce the stress on my shoulder, which continues to bother me after torn rotator cuff surgery, it may take some getting used to, we'll see. There's no reason not to make a longer strap for any baby you make even if it's not in the original pattern, like BowTucks; which is a bag I have made dozens of times and they sell well at craft fairs.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:06 PM

I have used handles from used purses that I find at thrift shop, and I liked the results.