Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Be Happy you have a good stash. >

Be Happy you have a good stash.

Be Happy you have a good stash.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:29 AM
mac

My husband was just saying that I can't keep buying fabric without buying a new house to house it. Fabric being priced out of my financial grasp will make him very happy.

I'm predicting that since I mostly purchase fabric that is on sale, soon even the sale priced fabrics will be out my financial grasp, too.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by mac View Post
I'm predicting that since I mostly purchase fabric that is on sale, soon even the sale priced fabrics will be out my financial grasp, too.
I've been a thrifty quilter for a long time, for me that's part of the attraction. Sure... I'd love to be able to pay for a class and buy a couple hundred dollars worth of exactly the fabric I want at a time, but that's just not my reality.

I'm really lucky that I live in the relatively wealthy Seattle area and I have lots of time available to me. Most of the fabric I buy is through luck at the thrift stores, letting other people pay the high prices. The problem is that you have to be open to what is there and you have to go regularly, but I've bought every brand name possible (from Makower to Hoffman to South Seas), most in yardage, sometimes I take a risk on a bag of scraps and find treasures within. For me part of the thrill of design is that I only have a whatever size piece of what I want to use, so how to use it to its best effect.

My two recent best buys (both since August) is a hand pieced grandmother's flower garden top from the Goodwill, the hexes finish 3/4" a side. The thing is huge, really about king sized and I think just got too big for the original maker to handle. It was only $6.00. The other buy is a very nice crib sized top I got for $2.00 at St Vincent's. It was pieced in large pieces, not a style I would do using some Suzy's Zoo (by Hoffman) cute as heck duck fabric and some obviously high quality tone on tone light colors. Even though it's not my style, someone will love it and I can do a nice quilting job on it. The original maker had pinned it together with a much-too-thick double thick batting and a piece of flannel that did not go well with the top and was really too narrow as well as being an inch or two short. I am saving the batting for a different project as I will be quilting this down on a long arm. One of the ladies at my Tuesday small group makes premie blankets and part of their rules is to use flannel on the back, so she gladly grabbed the flannel -- all in all, 3 quilts is a pretty good deal for $2.00.

For those of us that like vintage fabric or don't really mind working with those peach and soft tones of the early 80s, or the posies of the late 60s/70s, estate sales are a great place to find fabric. Sadly, often the families toss out the scrap bags thinking no one would want them -- but if you see an ad and there is a sewing machine listed and a contact number, check if they also have fabric. I've often had bags given to me for the asking, true -- a lot of it was not quilting suitable but I would go through and throw out the trash and give the leftovers to the goodwill, or for awhile I had a lady friend that made rag rugs out of the doubleknit polyester.

I had collected several hundred yards of vintage fabrics that I always meant to sell via ebay, but I never did. My original ebay handle of "Fabstasher" got hacked and I closed it down, but I loved the name. If it was 36" wide I pretty much bought everything I could find for a couple of decades. I did find a local person who was glad to buy (at wholesale prices) my boxes of vintage as I reduced my stash. She now makes a tidy little profit on them selling them at quilt shows. I have to admit that I still can't resist the true vintage but I'm just not seeing much of it any more.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue View Post

Local shops have continued their trend of $7-$8 dollars a yard.

where are these shops?? here fabric runs 10-13 a yard. if you are lucky they have a clearance area that is 10 maybe 25% off
Old 09-21-2018, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Austinite View Post
where are these shops?? here fabric runs 10-13 a yard. if you are lucky they have a clearance area that is 10 maybe 25% off
I only know of one shop here that has fabric under $10 a yard. Some even $6 or $7, but you have to watch their fabrics, they're not always the best quality and I never buy their whites/creams because they are so thin. Other shops are considerably higher, but mostly have higher quality fabrics, too.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:25 AM

Don't count on that. Setting up a fabric manufacturing factory is expensive. Haven't done research, but I don't think much cotton is grown in the US now, so cotton fabric might have to be imported as well.

My over large stash looks good now.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:46 AM

You sound just like me, Iceblossom! I shop at thrift store and even men's 100's cotton shirts for fabric. We quilters don't need to worry about taxes!
Old 09-21-2018, 11:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Austinite View Post
I went to a blowout sale at an LQS this morning and they had many many bolts on tables that were $6/yd... very lovely and maybe only last year's lines.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
You are so right. I have been shopping my stash for the last 5 years -- fabric has gotten quite expensive without the tariff. I was blessed to buy fabric I liked when I had an income so now I have a bunch.
Me too. The only fabric I buy now is from garage sales, thrift stores, and estate sales. The challenge comes with using what I have, instead of just going to buy more. I have discovered that I never bought enough solid colors....
Old 09-21-2018, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I have a bunch of fabric and just bought some colors I had already used. Now I will have enough, just need to live another 2-3 years so I can use it all.
Dang, you need more stash. I will have to live at least 20 more years to use up all mine I think.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:21 PM

I was recently gifted 2 boxes of fabrics from the 80's. Lots of pinks, peachy tones and blues. It will be my challenge to fine ways to work these into quilts that people will love now and into the 20s.