Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Harbor Freight blades....Have They Changed?

I bought 5 packages last fall. I opened one Saturday. The blades were stuck together, looked liked the lubrication had dried out. Cleaned them up and lubed them and tried to cut fabric with each one. They wouldn't cut hot butter, let alone fabric. I may try to open the other packs just to see, but may just toss them in the trash. No more for me!

I put a new HF blade on my cutter about 3 weeks ago and it's still just as sharp. So far no problems with mine. I guess like everything else there is some bad and some good!

Has anyone tried to contact the company and return the darn blades? If they are sold to cut carpets and won't cut fabric there is a HUGE problem! My SIL bought me a few packs and they have worked well BUT, you can be sure if one does not work - it is going back (
    The quilt you see, is a part of me.
    In your hand is the sum of my parts
    My mind, my body and a piece of my heart.
    Wrap in it, lay on it, cry, and dream.
    It's made to help you know what love means.

I didn't know HF CARRIED rotary blades! hmmm...got one right around the corner! Goin in! lol
    Being skinny isn't easy, so I gave up and opted for being sexy instead. (aunty acid)

Gladstone, Oregon by way of Washington(the state)
    I've not had any problems with mine. I do know that "any" blade will skip if the mat isn't cleaned of burs and lint regualrly. Just a parting thought, try some foil in layers and run the blade along it in the handle a few times then try it on some waste fabric. Perhaps they just need a little honing?
    Lack of planning on your part does NOT nessessitate an emergency on my part.
    Faith :-D

HF blades didn't cut cleanly for me. Tried 2. Both would cut, then skip, then cut...back to Olfa for me.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Same here! I just tried them and I was so stoked to find cheap rotary blades. But they just chewed up my fabric. Switched to a fresh Olfa blade and it was like cutting butter. I guess I got what I paid for! Luckily I didn't wait until I was completely out of Olfa blades before testing them...nothing worse than a lovely pile of freshly pressed fabric and no decent blades!

try www.lpsharp.com I like the fact that they recycle.

I had one blade from HF that was not sharp at all. The next one I used was OK. I still have several more that are unopened. I will try them, but if there are more like that one dull blade, I will stick to Olfa and Martelli. I really like the Martelli best of all brands I have used.

I have not had any issues with them and bought some in the fall and some about a month ago and they are still working great. I have 3 cutters set up for different purposes, fleece/batting, cotton, and decorators. All work great.

Dee
    I guess I will stay with the name brands. I bought HF blades, but haven't used them yet.

I paid over $11.00 yesterday for ONE 45 rotary blade at Michaels. I could not believe the price increase. I went online and ordered 3 pks from HF. Lowes and Home Depot don't sell them in this area. Thought I would give it a try. I also purchased a Pinking Rotary Blade, don't know how that one is going to work. Anyway, with all the pros and cons about this thread, I thought I would give HF a try.

Blog Entries
    They are sold as "carpet cutting" blades. Used to be so happy with them!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen S View Post
    I didn't know HF CARRIED rotary blades! hmmm...got one right around the corner! Goin in! lol
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Blog Entries
    I do too! Are they actually as good as the originals? Great price!

Quote Originally Posted by Msbaby View Post
    try www.lpsharp.com I like the fact that they recycle.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Blog Entries
    I just received my second shipment of 10 pkgs HF carpet blades. No problems so far. I haven't used all of them - keep giving them away to friends.
    TwandasMom

I also had great luck with the blades until the last batch I bought. They would not cut at all! I tried 2 packs and both were the same. I also had one package where the blade stuck to the plastic and I could not get it off. I went back to a name brand blade.
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

Jim
    I've used HF blades for over 2 yrs and have never gotten a bad one yet...I've bought them many times and given many away to fellow quilters at quilt guild..no one has ever said there was a problem with them yet...as the saying goes..."to each thier own"
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort :lol:

Did anyone contact HF aout the quality? As someone pointed out they have to be pretty sharp to cut carpet. They could go back their supplier to see if it is a bad lot.

I'm sticking with Olfa. I buy the 5 pack @ Joann's when they are on sale or have a coupon - which is almost all of the time! They are about $18 for a 5-pack (the 45 mm size) that way.

I would agree with Joanns BUT - my local one never has the 5 packs - only the single which is horribly expensive, even with a coupon and becasue you need a $50 order on line to not pay shipping, it isn't worth it. I have had good luck with Harbor Freight so far and if the blades don't cut right they will simply go back.

Quote Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
    I'm sticking with Olfa. I buy the 5 pack @ Joann's when they are on sale or have a coupon - which is almost all of the time! They are about $18 for a 5-pack (the 45 mm size) that way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2