Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Harbor Freight Blades >

Harbor Freight Blades

Harbor Freight Blades

Old 05-12-2011, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by goosepoint
Well guy's - I have been telling hubby about the fantastic deals at HF for the 45 mm rotary blades. Today he thought he would help me out and run to get a couple. Some 30 minutes later he comes out with a bag and grinning from ear to ear :lol: He was so sweet. They were on sale he said and he got me a few extras. When I opened the bag I counted 20 PACKS. ;-) He said he did not want me to run out. :thumbup: At $1.25 for a pack of 2 he had my best interest at heart. I think I will ask him to stop by the LQS and pick up a few thing for me :D . Got to love the man :thumbup:
You guys are so funny :D I have 3 different brands of 45mm cutters. 2 are so old I can't even find the name brand but if it tells you anything they came from a store called Piece Goods some 20 years ago. The Fiskers and the 2 older ones worked great with the blades. And no, the little holes did not match up but they pop in and are seated well plus the little button tighten up perfectly. They all worked smoothly. I cut 4 layers of cotton with very little pressure and they made clean cuts. He got them for $1.25 per pack and I figure the way I run over pins and the edges of my patterns they would last just as long as the more expensive brand name blades. 2 weeks ago I was "sawing" and using more pressure that I should have and ran over the end of my little finger. It wasn't cleanly cutting 3 layers of cotton but it went through my 'fake' nail and finger tip with ease :cry: . That thing took nearly 5 days to start healing so that it wouldn't keep opening up. So I have vowed to keep a good supply and not worry about trying to squeeze the last cutting edge out of a blade. The minute they quit cutting smoothly they are history. I know that they may not or are not working for everyone but for me they are doing the trick. :thumbup: Hopefully everyone can take advantage of these 'jewels'.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:49 PM

keep him !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 05-12-2011, 07:16 PM

Yes, to the quilt shop for him, tell him about the great deal they have on fabric!
Old 05-12-2011, 07:22 PM

:thumbup: Gret hubby. He is a keeper We shop there all the time.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:24 PM

He's a keeper! LOL!
Old 05-13-2011, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Kallen
Originally Posted by IdahoSandy
I brought a couple packs of those blades,but could not get them to cut smoothly and had to go back and finish with the sissors. Maybe I did not have the blade in right, so will try again.
IdahoSandy
I have had the same problem. I tried both blades in the package but they skipped in so many places. I was worried to open any more of my 15 packages! LOL in case I decided to return them. Those of you who are using them, do they work smoothly and perfectly for you--like the ones made for our rotary cutters?
I just started using my HF blades. I use the Olfa cutter. After cleaning the one blade with one drop of Dawn Dish Detergent and a good thorough rinse, I let the blade dry completely and then put it into the cutter. I then placed a blue dot on the outside of the blade facing me. I took a piece of scrap fabric and rolled the blade over the fabric and lessened the pressure until it appeared to roll smoothly. I then took a sandwiched piece with batting quilted in the middle and cut. It was smooth as butter. I only have a skipping problem when I notice I am not keeping the same pressure when I cut. I tend to use too much pressure and am trying to lighten up. However I gave the second blade from the package to my sister who also has an Olfa cutter and she could not get it to work at all. She cuts left handed while I cut with my right. I asked previously in a prior blog if the people having problems with the blades cut left or right handed but did not receive any response. I do plan on purchasing more when my remaining 9 packages are used up as we are getting a HF in our area this month so no more shipping costs. Love that store! :D
Old 05-13-2011, 03:48 AM

He's a keeper. I love it when the men in my life listen to me.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by coloradosky
Originally Posted by Kallen
Originally Posted by IdahoSandy
I brought a couple packs of those blades,but could not get them to cut smoothly and had to go back and finish with the sissors. Maybe I did not have the blade in right, so will try again.
IdahoSandy
I have had the same problem. I tried both blades in the package but they skipped in so many places. I was worried to open any more of my 15 packages! LOL in case I decided to return them. Those of you who are using them, do they work smoothly and perfectly for you--like the ones made for our rotary cutters?
I just started using my HF blades. I use the Olfa cutter. After cleaning the one blade with one drop of Dawn Dish Detergent and a good thorough rinse, I let the blade dry completely and then put it into the cutter. I then placed a blue dot on the outside of the blade facing me. I took a piece of scrap fabric and rolled the blade over the fabric and lessened the pressure until it appeared to roll smoothly. I then took a sandwiched piece with batting quilted in the middle and cut. It was smooth as butter. I only have a skipping problem when I notice I am not keeping the same pressure when I cut. I tend to use too much pressure and am trying to lighten up. However I gave the second blade from the package to my sister who also has an Olfa cutter and she could not get it to work at all. She cuts left handed while I cut with my right. I asked previously in a prior blog if the people having problems with the blades cut left or right handed but did not receive any response. I do plan on purchasing more when my remaining 9 packages are used up as we are getting a HF in our area this month so no more shipping costs. Love that store! :D
I'm right handed. I used mine in an Olfa cutter. I do have a Fiskar, so maybe I should try that.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:56 AM

YOU have taught him well. We quilters are proud. Happy cutting!
Old 05-13-2011, 12:13 PM

wow how sweet it that.