Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight Blades

I tried the Harbor Freight blades and they are great! I didn't have any trouble with them yet. I just bought them a month or so ago, but have used 3 of them already.
    I have been a busy busy girl! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Karol View Post
    I tried. Honestly. Thought I could save some money, listened to the QB about how some were happy with them.......
    I ordered 10 packages online, more or less 20$, gave some to friends to enjoy....
    There were two problems. They don't roll in either a Fiskar handle or an Olfa cutter. The blade does not turn.
    I guess the second problem is somewhat obvious; they do not cut fabric.
    I will be quite reluctant to try such suggestions from the board in the future.
    Karol
    Karol, sorry you had trouble with your blades. I see you are a new member so I think it's a little too early for you to judge all the suggestions on this board just because you didn't like one suggestion. There are thousands of quilters here with all levels of experience and we're here to learn from each other and to support each other. Perhaps this isn't the best quilting board for you and you'd be happier at another spot. Just Google "quilting" and millions will come up.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    We are all from different backgrounds and have different favorites as far as blades for the cutters. So whatever your preference use it ! I love the HF blades haven't had a problem (knock on wood!).
    I am a self taught quilter/sewer(meaning for years I have read books, experimented-sometimes with good results, sometimes with bad results-), but I love the tips here. They have helped me immensely!! I want to thank everyone on the Board (and especially Patrice) for all their tips here and putting this board online !! Thank you !!!
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    How do you order these blades

Blog Entries
    I just put a new blade from Harbor and I had tighten the screw to tight and the blade woulbn't turn,try to loosen the screw alittle, see if that helps. Other than that no problem here.

I have used these blades for a couple of years and love them. I had one that wasn't cutting right but for the price they are one is a few cents. Like many people said,they do stick together so you should check to see if you put two in. Hope the board tips have helped you. You should not put down all tips. Some tips work for us some don't!!

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've been using them in a Olfa cutter and a Fiskars and haven't had any problems at all. I just was over there last weekend and bought some more. Sorry to hear you had problems but you shouldn't discount everything said on QB just because you got a bad batch, I'm just sayin.
    Quilting is an addiction that you can be proud of and enjoy.
    Elna TSP,Kenmore,Singer Futura,Singer Red Eye x2,Singer 66,White Rotary Treadles x2, Montgomery Wards, Janome 10000,Singer 201-2 1947,Juki serger, Black 1947 Featherweight. Singer 301a 1951, Parlor Cabinet Treadle w/ White. Many many more.
    Debbie

When I first tried the HF blades I couldn't get them to work either. All it would do was shred the fabric my sister in law had the same problem. I didn't give up and then I noticed that the blade wasn't turning. So then I loosened the tightening screw a bit and they work just fine. The only problem I have with the blades now is safely getting them out of the package. I hate the packaging
    Kathy Stewart from IA
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kath_stirut

Blog Entries
    They work in my Olfa and cut just as well as the pricey ones.

Blog Entries
    I agree with -Quilter day-by-day, I have used the HF blades and got a bad blade also but the rest of the packs I have tried were great. There is so many good tips here I just love this site.
    Don't give up on the board !

Quote Originally Posted by donnalynett View Post
    I buy them 20 at a time and have not had any problem with any of them. Mine have held up just as long as the top brand names and I will continue to happily use them and spend my savings on more fabric.
    I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perfect timing. I am literally on my way to HF to buy the blades. Will try a package to see how they work. For those whose fabric won't cut cleanly, are your cutting only a single layer of fabric or multiple layers? I never cut more than one layer at a time. Yes, I know this is more time consuming, but I feel I have better control of my cuts when I only do one layer at a time, so this is what I do. This is totally my preference, not right nor wrong...to each his own, as they say. Will let you know how I like the HF blades. I only wish they made them in the 28mm size as this is my preferred rotary cutter size. Oh well, we can't have everything in life, can we? Have a wonderful day and keep on quilting! :-)
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

I love Harbor Freight blades. Use them all the time in my Olfa cutter. I have had a couple of bad ones but at the price I can afford a bad one once in a while.
    Lorraine

Blog Entries
    the ones I tried worked just as well. But if you tighten the screw nut on the rotary cutter too tight it won't matter what blades you use or where you bought them, they will not turn, and therefore will not cut. Been there, done that!
    To make lots of quilts, is to have lots of scraps, and I do, and I do.
    BarbaraSue

Quote Originally Posted by NCannie View Post
    I'm new here. Can you tell me which Harbor Freight blades you guys are talking about using. Sounds like something I'd like to try.
    The blades are advertized as carpet cutters, they fit 45. You can order on line, or, if your near a store look in the paint dept. They sell 2/1.99 when I last checked. Sometimes they have a sale
    I never believe in the word can't,unless you've tried

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsister63 View Post
    I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Me too, using them over a year now.
    TwandasMom

I have a friend who uses the HF blades all the time and it quite happy with them in her Fiskar cutters.

I agree with you. My SIL gave me a couple packs her hubby picked up and they are just not the quality of blades made for cutting fabric. As for the rolling problem make sure you don't over tighten the setting screws on your cutters. And that goes for using the HB blades or the high quality blades. The blades should always roll nicely when very little pressure is applied. I always make sure my blades spin easily when changing them. We are so ingrained with the idea that a screw needs to be tight to be set right and that is NOT the case with these rotary cutters.

Don't get discouraged with the suggestions you see here. Some have been very good and I have benefited a great deal by some of them but we all need to use some common sense, don't throw out the baby with the bath water.

One more thought. I return my used blades to LP Sharp along with a check and they send me brand new blades in exchange http://lpsharp.com/3.html. The prices are excellent ($3 or new Olfa for example) and the added benefit is that I am able to recycle the old blades instead of throwing them away.
    Last edited by Delilah; 04-06-2012 at 08:46 AM.
    OCD in the OC

I buy generic blades from SouthStar Supply company. 10 - 45mm blades cost 19.95 - not as cheap as Harbor Freight but I started buying them years ago before I heard of Harbor Freight. They come in a small hard sided cas - lke the multi-pack Olfa or Fiskars. They fit both my Fiskars and my Olfa rotary cutters.

They do stick together and there have been times when I inadvertently put 2 in at once. Then I wondered why my cuts were ragged. Of course it was because of the double blades. Now when I change blades I take out what I think is one and lay it down on a flat surface and attempt to slide it apart from any others. These also come in a 28 mm blade.
    Last edited by lakekids; 04-06-2012 at 08:45 AM.

Patience! Try again! Don't throw the baby out with the bath water!

Blog Entries
    I am with you! I purchased 20 blades from Harbor Freight and only 1 was any good. I contacted them and they sent replacements to me and only 4 blades were good. I loosened the nut and I know when I have one or two in my cutter. I am glad for those who use and like them. I have settled for blades from my LQS. Now we are all happy.

Blog Entries
    I didn't have the best luck with the HF blades I bought, but since I have more than one cutter, I use HF in one and use that for cutting batting, fusible fleece, etc-everything except good fabric-I even cut the plastic board I put in the bottom of my purses/totes. Using them for these purposes works fine and saves my good blades for fabric. I have gotten so much help and good suggestions from this board, and even if one doesn't work for me, I would never blame the board or its members for it.

I would love to try these blades. I currently buy generic blades from my sewing center, but would love to compare. Would you please tell me what Harbor Frieght's product is called in their catalog? TY so much.

Blog Entries
    I didn't have good luck with the HF blades either. Then later I read that one of our readers got a package that were dull. Wondering if that could have been my problem. Unfortunately I havn't bought any since then. Instead I bought the True Blade sharpener. Not satisfied with that either. I buy up on blades when they are on sale.
    We would worry less about what others think of us if we realized how seldom they do.

Possibly the type of cutter used makes the difference.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast