Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has any1 tried any of the Martelli Products? >

Has any1 tried any of the Martelli Products?

Has any1 tried any of the Martelli Products?

Old 05-20-2012, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I have the zip gun that applies the clips to hold the binding. It works fine and the clips are reusable and stay on the quilt tight. The mats and cutters are excellent. That said, now..
Martelli was banned from the Paduah quilt show. I talked to other vendors about this and no one had any good to say about the Martelli vendors. I was told how they hire young guys to woo and flatter the quilters into buying and then they joke about it behind the scenes how they could sell anything to them. The vendors close to their booth complained about the rudness. They were at the Paducah mall vending the next time and employing the same tactics of luring ladies in and sweet talking them. I sit and watched them for almost an hour and really realized what was going on after hearing about it. I will not buy their products as long as the company allows such unseemly sales tactics.
Oh my. That was not my experience at a big quilt show. There was a woman in the booth and she encouraged me to use the ergonomic cutter. It worked fine, but I don't have any issues in my hands, arms or wrists, so wasn't necessary.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:17 PM

I have the Stitch in ditch binding foot and I love it. I have only used it twice and am quickly getting more accurate with it. I am actually getting my binding finished now!! (I hate doing binding so the quilts often sit and wait for months before I bind. This tool will help me finish them quickly!)
Old 05-20-2012, 04:52 PM
Power Poster

The 2nd product is: the Zip Bind System. Has anyone tried (or currently own) one? Does it work? Do you like it? Would you recommend it to quilting friends??

This product was a total waste of money for me.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:57 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I have the zip bind system. I paid quite a bit for it and used it for one quilt. I wanted to machine bind my binding. Well, it turned out to be a real pain in the you know where. Too much work. Too many parts. Took me so much longer to do the binding with the system. So it's just sitting in a drawer. Waste of money, IMHO.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:04 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Oh, I also have the stitch in the ditch foot and it worked. So, I liked it. I wanted to machine bind my binding and with this foot (if it's the one you are asking about), I stitched right in the ditch so when I turned my quilt over, the thread was right up against the binding. Looked nice. I didn't mean to bad mouth the zip bind system, but it took me a long time to figure out how the system worked. I had to reread the instructions many times until I finally figured it out. And the clips you put on your quilt were hard to put on and hard to take off. They have different sizes. Now you can just buy those red clips to hold your binding on and those work better for me, IMHO. I'd give you my zip bind system.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:21 AM

I saw them at the 2013 Houston quilt show. I have the stitch in the ditch foot and was wondering how anyone else liked it, it almost seems a little too gadgety for me, and I find it almost just as easy to sew to one side of the quilt with the machine, and tack down the other side by hand. I hate that I paid about $30 for something to just sit around and not be used, but that's what I've found has happened. I guess we all have tools that one person swears by while another person wouldn't touch it.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:11 PM

I purchased the cutter ( the ergonomic one) , I did not care much for it , but my Mom loves it. I also have the binding tool- the Zip binding... I'm not a fan... wish I could get my $$ back... as it was not a cheap purchase.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:34 PM

I, too, sat and watched the young men hustle and sweet talk the ladies. I was hustled a few years ago into purchasing the rotary cutter, the binding attachment and the curve foot. TRASH. I actually keep the binding crap on my shelf, to constantly remind me how I was easily taken by a scam artist. The curved foot broke about 15 minutes into the first use. I can put together a curved seam better than that junk. The quilt binder made the most horrible looking binding, looked cheap and very unprofessional, almost like just sewing on store-bought bias tape. The quilt police should arrest them for selling garbage. For those of you who like their product, good for you. Me...not at all.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:30 PM

I love, love all the products I have from Martelli...the rotary cutter, templates, binding tool and especially the cutting matt and table. I bought these items in June 2013 at the Columbus Ohio quilt show. The sales person was very helpful and after the sale I learned she lived in the same city and state as me. I have RA and avoid cutting as much as possible but the non-slip rulers and templates make it a non issue and they allow for perfect accuracy something that was a struggle for me. There are many you-tube videos if you have questions and would recommend these products to anyone but especially for anyone that have issues with their hands or wrist. Yes they are expensive but well worth it to me.... as it puts the joy back into quilting without the pain.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:47 PM

Can you use the Bind Tool without the Binding Foot???