Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone been to Obie's in Pa? >

Has anyone been to Obie's in Pa?

Has anyone been to Obie's in Pa?

Old 07-10-2015, 08:48 PM

Default Has anyone been to Obie's in Pa?

Has anyone been to Obie's in Goodville, Pa. Someone just sent me some pics and it is stuffed full of goodies. I was wondering if you can find what you are looking for in there and the prices of fabrics.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:29 PM

I've been a couple of times. If you can't find what you are looking for you can ask. The owners seem to know what they have. Prices are good compared to what I pay in NJ quilt stores. It is an adventure. If you are claustrophobic you probably should avoid but otherwise you should experience it at least once. And there are several other fabric/quilt stores nearby so if you are traveling a distance it will be worth it.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:26 AM

What bjchad said! The lady that was working there when I was in there did seem to know exactly what was where. Prices, I thought, were comparable to the rest of the area there which is generally much better than the LQS that most of us shop. I found the store to be quite dingy and the building seemed rather rickety. You can't just 'browse' the way you can in most quilt shops - too much fabric just absolutely stuffed in there.

They DO have lots of licensed fleece fabric as well if you are in the market for any of that.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:51 AM
ro
Banned

small and dingy place. older fabrics not new. don't like that the fabric is stacked from the bottom up. how can you see the fabric. and what you want is always on the bottom. not the place for me!
Old 07-11-2015, 05:59 AM

I'm with Ro. Glad I went once just to say I was there but the fabric was stacked so high and closely that I really couldn't see much. And even if I found something I liked, I wouldn't have been able to get it out from under 30 bolts of fabric. I don't like clutter so it was not a place that I could comfortably stay at for long.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:18 AM
Power Poster

I don't mind stack fabrics. I have found some gems years past in the flat fold stacks at M&L Fabrics in Anaheim CA. It is like panning for GOLD!
Old 07-11-2015, 12:05 PM
Administrator

obie's carries a lot of "old" fabrics that can be hard to find elsewhere.
i wouldn't dare try to pull out a bolt. if i saw something i wanted, i'd let the sales assistant get it for me.
they know the inventory, and they've been pulling those bolts for years.
i might be tempted to film it, though, because nobody would believe it could be done if they couldn't see it. LOL
Old 07-11-2015, 01:29 PM

I'd never heard of it, but DD lives in PA, so the title of the thread intrigued me; of course I had to look it up!

Oh my goodness. For those not familiar, here's a blog post, with several pictures, from April of this year: http://dishsisters.com/2015/04/03/ob...f-your-dreams/

Now I'm trying to figure out how I'll work a trip to see it for myself into a visit to PA!
Old 07-11-2015, 01:48 PM

I go often, and tell people to never go in carrying a pocketbook, no room between aisles. If your looking for novelty fabric she has a lot. It's definitely worth a trip there, quite unique. I've found many bolts of fabric priced under 5.00 but you have to really search. Another good thing to know - don't bring kids with you, there is just too much for them to get into and there is always the possibility of stacks of bolts falling. I swear the only that holds up the outside walls are the bolts of fabric. When you leave there, go right and just a little ways up on the left is another place that sits in a building way back, it's, I believe, called Goodville Fabrics - constantly changing their cotton fabrics and lots of other types of fabric in the back area. Worth checking out also.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:40 PM

OMB - the pictures are incredible!!!