Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone been to: Quilt Camp at Sea? >

Has anyone been to: Quilt Camp at Sea?

Has anyone been to: Quilt Camp at Sea?

Old 09-10-2011, 02:05 PM

I ran across this cruise website through Lisa Moore's Website and it just stirred a great desire to do it! http://www.quiltcampatsea.com/

I have only been on one cruise and it was not a quilting cruise, but I think this would be great fun...even though it is very expensive.

Has anyone been on a this cruise or any quilting cruise? What was it like and where did you go?
Old 09-10-2011, 04:49 PM

I went on the Round Bobbin cruise, it was great! We sailed through the carribean, I brought two non-quilting girlfriends so we could explore ports and just have some fun. I meet so many great quilters and people. The next round bobbin is off to Alaska, very tempting to do another! If you can't take a quilting buddy, don't hesitate to take a girlfriend, you'll have a great time!
Old 09-10-2011, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by tangledthread
I went on the Round Bobbin cruise, it was great! We sailed through the carribean, I brought two non-quilting girlfriends so we could explore ports and just have some fun. I meet so many great quilters and people. The next round bobbin is off to Alaska, very tempting to do another! If you can't take a quilting buddy, don't hesitate to take a girlfriend, you'll have a great time!
I assume the cruise has regular people (non quilters) also going where ever so husbands or friends would have something to do while I am off doing my thing? I am a little concerned about seasickness...I did get sick on my Alaska cruise. My husband won't go because he gets very sick. Have to think about this.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:33 PM

You bet, it is a ship with 2500 people only 200 are quilters. If you go down to the medic cabin the have free sea sickness tablets out in a basket, no worries there! Always lots to do for everyone!
Old 10-20-2011, 07:29 AM

I have been on three Quilt Camp At Sea cruises. They are the best!!!! Wonderful classes, great instructors and lots of door prizes. I and three of my best friends are doing the Hawaii cruise in Mar, 2012. It is already full, but the Mexican Rivera cruise still has some openings. We have met wonderful quilters and made lasting friendships thru these cruises. You can't go wrong.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:35 AM

Don't worry about being seasick, they now have bracelets that I understand are wonderful
Old 04-02-2012, 05:16 PM

jaydee - I recognize you from onboard the Quilt Camp at Sea cruise - weren't you working for them? I can't agree with what a great experience Quilt Camp at Sea is. They are fine as it goes, but every cruise is the same thing, different itinerary , different teacher. After having done 2, I looked for another company that offered a better variety of quilting as well as onboard fun. I have heard similar stories from others I met on Quilt Camp at Sea cruises, they were disappointed. Some who had been before said it used to be different, used to be fun, but they agreed that one likes a little adventure and fun, not just sittin in a classroom - like being at a workshop in the local quilt store. Sorry, to sound negative, but there are BETTER OPTIONS out there. Just my opinion.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:34 PM

At $1,700 per person, it will have to go to the wish list as that is the closest I'll get.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:02 AM

Default Quilt Cruises

Originally Posted by Treasureit View Post
I ran across this cruise website through Lisa Moore's Website and it just stirred a great desire to do it! http://www.quiltcampatsea.com/

I have only been on one cruise and it was not a quilting cruise, but I think this would be great fun...even though it is very expensive.

Has anyone been on a this cruise or any quilting cruise? What was it like and where did you go?
Hi yes, I have been on 2 quilt camp at sea cruises - and several other quilt cruises by different companies. I must say, they are not all the same, and before committing, I would check several out. I will not go on another quiltcampatsea.com cruise, not because it was horrible, just that the 2nd cruise was so similar to the first, the only difference was the itinerary. Sort of a 'same place, same thing'. I have used another company now for several cruises and it is all variety, all fun, and lots of fun.

I have been to Alaska with both withquilt camp and with another company, which is what sold me on the other company.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:47 PM

Default Quilt Camp at Sea

Hi all, I'm glad I found your thread. My name is Kathy Domkoski and I have taken over the running of Quilt Camp at Sea. I cruised with them a number of times and had a great time. Now that I am organizing them, I have a different view of how it all comes together, but the one thing that is the same is that we have wonderful quilters and excellent instructors. (you knew I would say that, right?)

The thing is, that you can never control people's experience. Some people love "Fun and Excitement".. but that means different things to different people. We try to set the stage where all the fun that you want is available to you. We sail with a wonderful cruise line, great instructors, guests that love the same thing you do... quilting! We set up trips to quilt shops, sometimes guest quilters at the quilt shops (Barbara Lavallee has come down to Juneau just to meet our group), we have arranges classes in port (on our Hawaii cruise, we had a full day class in port with Keri Duke and learned how to do Hawaiian appliqué. We set up drawings and contests, in 2013, we are going to start putting a quilt together for Quilts of Valor.

Before our Alaska cruise 6/22/13, I have arranged a shop-hop tour and I have spoken to Lisa Moore and some of us will be visiting her studio in Sitka. We don't have classes when we are in port and you can take as many or as few classes as you like. You aren't stuck in a class, but if you do take a class, you are in class rooms with big windows so you can see that you are on a cruise.

I am always looking for ways to add positive changes without sacrificing the things that our returning quilters love about us. If you have ideas, I am completely open to them... let me know what kind of things you would like to see, please!
-Kathy