Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone bought a Moda scrap bag? >

Has anyone bought a Moda scrap bag?

Has anyone bought a Moda scrap bag?

Old 12-10-2013, 09:36 AM

Default Has anyone bought a Moda scrap bag?

One of the online shops advertises Moda scrap bags for about ten dollars. Has anyone bought one and do you think it was worth the price? What were the fabrics like?
Old 12-10-2013, 09:59 AM
Power Poster

I've seen these at Hancock's of Paduach. 2 1/2" and up to 6" width, varying lengths of the open packages I saw. Great for anyone that does paper piecing or applique. They were all Moda fabrics.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:10 PM

I have purchased a few. They are what is left after cutting the pre cuts. Sometimes the strips are wider than 2 1/2" and I have actually gotten almost all the fabrics in the same collection. I have also gotten a bag that contained parts of 2 separate collections and didn't go together at all. I have trimmed the oversize strips down to 2 1/2" and used them just like I would anywhere else I would use a 2 1/2" strip.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:49 PM

I bought two-they seem to have a lot of selvages which is fine with me. They are quite a bit wider than a jelly roll. I haven't used them yet but I'm excited to.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:27 AM

I have bought two and they are mostly wider than 2.5 inch but not full width of fabric. I will use them the same as I would jelly roll strips I think.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:40 AM

I've had good luck with Keepsake scrapbags. Bought one that was homespun plaids for a jacket I made, lots of nice pieces.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:05 AM

I just bought two grab bags from the Fat Quarter Store they were 93.00 for the two with a coupon and including shipping. I was blow away by the quality and sizes of the pieces. I think I received between 40 and 44 yards of fabric in different sizes and only 1 piece was not going to fit into my scrappy plans and having said that I could use it in a string quilt. There was Christmas, and enough muted semi-Civil war toned fabric to make at least 3 queen size quilt. I would highly recommend the Fat Quarter Shops grab bags - look for online coupons
Old 12-11-2013, 02:14 PM

I did buy a couple and thought they were pretty, however, I find they are hard to use, the widths vary, and most of the strips are not wide enough to use a jelly roll pattern. It's hard to find a pattern that will work for them. I did make a baby quilt with one of them though. Will not buy again
Old 12-11-2013, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

can someone show the fabs they rec'd? sounds like something good for the beginners who need scraps
Old 12-11-2013, 02:36 PM

I'll try to get pics later. Mine are still in our old house. I think I might make one of those scrappy strip quilts with it. Where you cut the foundation from muslin or paper and then sew strips to it and press and the next strip, etc. Some even have selvages showing (the scrappy strip quilts, that is).