Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone bought a Sue Garman pattern before? >

Has anyone bought a Sue Garman pattern before?

Has anyone bought a Sue Garman pattern before?

Old 09-02-2012, 07:20 PM

Was the pattern photo-copied from an original to be blurry? I purchased a pattern some months ago and I believe the pattern was a re-print. A lot of the patterns are printed on 8 1/2 x 11 copy paper and you just don't know if it is someone profiting off from an original pattern they purchased. I recently ordered Over the River and Through the Woods. It is printed on paper that could be very thin copy paper. White paper folded and printed on both sides. I ordered 2 purse patterns from 2 different companies and designers. Both were very poor quality prints on thin copy paper. I was disappointed with trying to figure them out. I was told by the sender that is how they get them.
Go into a quilt shop and check out their pattern wall. The majority are in clear 'bags' with copy paper patterns. I don't know much about patterns, but it could be to keep the costs down. Contact the person/company you purchased it from and let them know your thoughts. If you have problems figuring out the pattern, I bet you could get a personal response from Sue herself by going on her website.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:00 PM

I have purchased several of her patterns and they have always been of high quality.

Avon
Old 08-07-2013, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by MTS View Post
I'm really surprised.

Sue does the BOM quilts for TheQuiltShow and they are beyond gorgeous. http://www.thequiltshow.com/os/bom2.php

As a member, I get to download the instructions free, and while I've never made one, they seem very well written and detailed.

Maybe because I'm printing .pdf's.

Is that a new pattern or an older one?
Hi, I have been trying to find this pattern - if you want to sell it, I'd be interested. You can contact me through this board or my email - [email protected] thanks!
Old 08-07-2013, 11:38 AM
Power Poster

I've done a number of Sue Garman patterns- it sounds as if the ebay seller made copies (very against the copyright laws!) and are selling reproduced patterns.. Sue's patterns are always clear, concise, good quality patterns.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:27 PM

Could the eBay seller have made an illegal copy?
Old 08-07-2013, 01:21 PM
Power Poster

yep, people on Ebay copy and sell all the time. frustrating.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:27 PM

I have the Friends of Baltimore pattern purchased from the quilt shop that sells it and it is on good quality paper--not blurry. I strongly suspect you purchased a photocopy of the original on ebay. A friend of mine just purchased an ebay copy and I will see what the quality of hers is--someone may be out there illegally duplicating, then selling this pattern and should be caught. Do not give feedback yet until you contact the seller, or if you do, be honest about your disappointment. This is not typical of Sue Garman patterns purchased through a legitimate seller. Buyer beware I guess! I imagine the pattern is copyrighted and this is copyright violation if it happened. Perhaps think about contact Sue Garman--the pattern designer should be making the money, not an opportunist illegally.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:36 AM

Hi Micha,

I have done a few Sur Garmin designs and they are always well printed. are you sure that this a real Sue Garmin or a "knock-off" - fake. on ebay you are never sure.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:49 AM

I was looking for the Sue Garman pattern "Afternoon Delight" and ran across this thread. Thanks for all the info on Pirate copies and Sue's wonderful patterns. It will help make my decision.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:33 AM

If the pattern is "blurry" even if the seller says that it is an original then still give her negitive feedback. or at least neutral. this may be that is the only way of stopping copying of patterns. This would be especially true if seller will not exchange or returrn this pattern. Also you can contact the designer and inform her that you think someone is copying and selling her patterns on ebay. It isreally sad that you can not trust sellers on ebay. Buyer beware!!!!