Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone done General's Wife BOM? >

Has anyone done General's Wife BOM?

Has anyone done General's Wife BOM?

Old 04-29-2011, 10:08 AM

I am a pretty new quilter. This BOM says it is for beginner's and I was wondering if it is a good price and if the directions are good. What are your thoughts on BOM kits?

http://www.fatquartershop.com/store/...89&Parent_Ids=
Old 04-29-2011, 10:21 AM

This is very cute. I think you would be able to successfully create this and enjoy doing it. Keep us posted on your progress (smile). Welcome to the board from Iowa.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

All of the blocks look pretty easy for a beginner, the center block would be the only one I am curious about. If it is fusible applique it will be easy, needle turned a little more difficult :D:D:D
Old 04-29-2011, 10:39 AM
MTS
Banned

$377. Plus backing. Is my math right?

I don't do BOtM patterns, but, assuming $30 for the pattern (as there are plenty of king size quilt patterns or even books out there for that amount), that leaves enough $$$$$ for 30+ yards of fabric, even at today's higher prices.

And quite frankly, while it is not a difficult pattern, that's a lot of moola for instructions to do 12 stars made mostly of HST/QST.

JMHO.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:40 AM

I think that looks like a wonderful BOM to start with. It will teach you all kinds of new skills and you'll enjoy it. Stretch a little....just do it!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 04-29-2011, 10:56 AM
Banned

The pattern itself looks doable for a confident beginner. But I have to agree, the price is pretty steep. You'll spend over $377, and that doesn't include backing fabric or batting. But if it's you're first foray into quilting and you feel more comfortable with the fabrics being supplied for you, then this is certainly a good way to go if money isn't an issue.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress! :-D :-D
Old 04-29-2011, 11:10 AM

Agreed! BOMs can be expensive. Much more cost-effective to buy the pattern and pick your own fabrics.

Originally Posted by SuzanneG
The pattern itself looks doable for a confident beginner. But I have to agree, the price is pretty steep. You'll spend over $377, and that doesn't include backing fabric or batting. But if it's you're first foray into quilting and you feel more comfortable with the fabrics being supplied for you, then this is certainly a good way to go if money isn't an issue.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress! :-D :-D
:thumbup:
Old 04-29-2011, 11:50 AM

Okay. I think you are right I can stretch my skills by choosing my own patterns and not pay 377 for just the front of the quilt. I will pass. I am not afraid of putting colors together. I get more afraid of the quilting and binding! Thank you for your thoughts and advice!