Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever added Crochet onto a quilt.. sounds crazy I know...

I would not try to layer it onto fabric because of different rates of shrinkage. Instead I think I would use it as a tablecloth either on the bare wooden table or over solid coloured cloth. It is very beautiful.

Under no circumstance would I sew this gorgeous piece to anything. Make a colored piece to put under it, maybe with a ruffle at the bottom to make it the right size, like a bedskirt, and then just lay it on top. My mother did this when the piece she was crocheting got too heavy and she didn't want to make it the size of the bed, and it was beautiful. This is absolutely gorgeous and an heirloom, and your priority should be to not do harm to it.

I agree that attempting to attach this to fabric and quilt it might get you in deeper than you want. As a table covering for special family occasions would be the best and highest use in my opinion. Lots of people would be able to see and admire it at one time, and your mother would be so honored!
    Dayle

It would be a beautiful tablecloth. I have 2 my mother made.

I remember those curtain stretchers, too. Rows of little nail-like points in a long rectangle. What women went through to have a pretty home!

The piece that you have is priceless. I love the pattern that was used and would love to have a copy of it. I would like to make a table topper using that pattern. I would pay for the copy and postage. Please contact me if possible. .
    Last edited by jcrafty1s; 06-28-2012 at 05:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilt-Till-U-Wilt View Post
    It would be a beautiful tablecloth. I have 2 my mother made.
    How lucky you are! I'd love to have one. I'm sure my paternal grandmother left many she made herself--she was a wonderful seamstress and needleworker--but I didn't get any of her personal things. I crochet and have made lots of things--afghans, hats, gloves, purses--in yarn. But crochet thread defeats me somehow so I know I"ll never make my own tablecloth......never mind bedspread! ;-)

So agree! I wouldn't alter it in any way or sew anything to it. I think beautiful wood looks wonderful under a crocheted tablecloth but a jewel or pastel color under it is nice, too....just not permanently attached. Of course, it is yours, so you're free to do whatever you want and decide to do! ;-)

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    OH my goodness BEAUTIFUL Crochet work .. and very nicely put together .. Go back to a class and learn crochet.. one day I am going to take up tatting, as I know crochet (well some of it !LOL .. thank goodness for books !!)
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

I am not going to be of much help. I have, however, seen crochet used in quilts. I was wandering around the web and saw crocheted pieces used much like what is being discussed here. Unfortunately, where has blown my mind. It had to have something to do with contemporary quilting and quilters because that is what attracts me. I'm going to go back into my internet history and see if I can find any leads. In the meantime, please consider doing a wide search on the words crochet and quilting juxtaposed.

Please let me join with the quilters above and encourage you in your project. We'll all enjoy applauding.

Pat

What beautiful crochet work to be cherished. Whatever you decide (tablecloth sounds great to me) to do, it is a wonderful gift of handiwork. I have doilies from my aunt who now has arthritis so bad that she can no longer continue crocheting. Love them.

That is such beautiful work your mother did! I wouldn't even think about trying to apply it to fabric. Just not sure how it would turn out, but, like others have said, would use it as a table cloth, with a colored cloth under it. A color that would co-ordinate with your decor maybe?. Or, as a coverlet for a bed, also with pretty color under. I had 2 table cloths that my grandmother made, and have given them to my 2 daughters. They treasure them. Yours is truly a work of art.

I think you CAN!! why not try! I'm going to make a 'Doilie' Quilt ! I have collected ALL the Doilies and Starched them and just like you have put with fabrics under so that it will show. some of my doilies are very colorful and I will have to sew them down by hand.
    May Your Life Be Full of Charity and Love.

Perhaps you could get a few ideas from Cindy Needham's site. She uses old embroideries and crochets in many of her quilts.
    http://www.cindyneedham.com/

This is beautiful! I haven't crocheted in years - my grandmother taught me on pillow case edgings.
    Quilting makes me happy!..

Blog Entries
    that is gerogeous. yes, I agree crochet is becoming a lost art in a lot of families. I too think it would be beautiful with a cream color under neath, with a cream swril added to the material to make it bigger for a queen. But using it as a table cloth or even a throw is great too.

Thank you all for such thoughtful replies. I have discussed all the ideas with my sister-in-law. She and I both agree.. we're going to keep it as is and try it out on a table first, then we'll either find someone who can finish the edges or simply leave it the way it is. My biggest concern is the stretching.. you've all made good points, the crochet stretches much differently than fabric.

My sister-in-law knew my mother was making it for her but thought after all this time it was lost forever.. so she's just thrilled that she'll finally have the gift that my mother wanted her to have. She just had her first grand daughter and is looking forward to handing it down some day...

jcrafty1s, I'm sorry, there is no pattern. I'm not even sure if she ever used one.. : ) She passed away approx 30 years ago and I was just a child so I'm not certain where all that has gone. I've got closer photos of it if you'd like me to send you those?

Thank you ladies!

I agree with quiltE. I have several crocheyt bedspreads and I always put a pastal sheet under them because I like the look. A nice store bought crochet lace around the underlay might set it off enough

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful. Your the artist, it will come. please show finished product.

I crochet all the time and think this is totally workable. The tablecloth is beautiful. If you were to use a contrasting background color so as to bring out the design, it would be beautifful. You could then do a coordinating fabric or fabrics in perhaps a pinwheel or just do a whole cloth background fabric. I am sure it would be beautiful. Good Luck

beautiful. I'd keep in very simple . maybe work in the stars that seem to show on what you did so far. would love to see what you do with it

Blog Entries
    That is beautiful. Such a shame that it's been in a box all that time. As Tartan says what about using it as a table cloth (or even an over cloth.) I'm so glad you've taken it out because your mother must have spent hours doing this.

What a beautiful peiece you have. I have a beautiful lace crocheted table cloth. made by a dear friend, that fits my large dining table, which I enjoy because I can change the look for any season by changing the color of the material I put under it. Same could be done with that on a table or bed.

I made a quilt for my son and DIL where I used crocheted doileys appliqued to some of the blocks. I was trying to create snowflakes. Looked pretty good to me. I think it can really be beautiful worked into a quilt.

Beautiful !! In the past I have draped my Crochet tablecloth over our old Piano to show it off.. and it has been always noticed and admired . just sharing .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast