Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone ever made a quilt from infant onesies? >

Has anyone ever made a quilt from infant onesies?

Has anyone ever made a quilt from infant onesies?

Old 06-27-2017, 02:34 PM

Default Has anyone ever made a quilt from infant onesies?

I have been asked to make a quilt using onesies. I've googled some patterns and most look like they are cut into squares. I'd prefer to use the entire onesie. Well, at least the front. Do you have any suggestions, pattern sources or photos of quilts you've made? I'd love any suggestions you might have to offer. Thank you
Old 06-27-2017, 02:40 PM

Google "baby memory quilt". Also look on pinterest. There are lots of examples.

bkay
Old 06-27-2017, 03:02 PM

I don't have a picture. But I made a quilt with bears. They were wearing overalls made from the onesies. Since they are knit fabrics I didn't need to worry about frayed edges. I just used a blanket stitch to sew them over the bears.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:09 PM

I once saw a onesie quilt that looked like a clothesline with the onesies hanging on the line. Sorry I don't remember where I saw it.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:19 PM

a friend made one, she sewed the onesie onto a square and then quilted it. Came out beautifully but with the onesies and other little socks and things it weighs too much for a blanket!
Old 06-27-2017, 04:26 PM
Power Poster

Yes, I have. I used both cut out squares, other types of baby clothes and sometimes sewed the whole or part of it on top. I cut away the back to make it lighter. Onesies I do iron on light weight interfacing to help stabilize.

Second picture from the top.
Newbie here. Some one asked to see some more quilts I made.

Cut out the onesies front, iron it onto lightweight interfacing, sew it onto a backing fabric or fabric square. No need to make separate squares unless you want to. I just fold the edges under a little and sew around the edge, then I cut away the fabric from the back. You can also not cut it away but after sometime it might get a bit heavy.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 06-27-2017 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:23 PM
Power Poster

i've used an entire onsie, and stretch terry romper. if using the whole onsie, stabilize the front to the back and then use stabilizer on the back.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by patski View Post
a friend made one, she sewed the onesie onto a square and then quilted it. Came out beautifully but with the onesies and other little socks and things it weighs too much for a blanket!
I machine quilted one for a friend and it did weigh a ton. Really cute though.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:53 AM

Thank you everyone. A special thank you to Annaquilts, toverly and cjsews for your ideas and suggestions. I now have a plan that fits with my style and how to attach the onesies. I will suggest my perception of a quilt using your ideas to the person who requested the quilt. If's she likes it, I will do it. Toverly, I have a pattern with the clothesline! I never even thought of this. It will easily adapt to using onesies.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:27 AM

My first thought is to fuse the front to a cotton square and then applique it. For the quilting, I would like to maintain the look of the onesy, so I might echo stitch inside the edge, in someway highlight whatever design is on the front of the onesy(if applicable) and then do the same type of stitching to each one on the legs and arms (maybe a bit of a diamond or a flower). This would tie them together and hold them but not overwhelm the onesy. Then, quilt whatever you prefer in the background, sashing and borders. Please make sure and post your project.