Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone ever made a whole quilt as a log cabin? >

Has anyone ever made a whole quilt as a log cabin?

Has anyone ever made a whole quilt as a log cabin?

Old 07-11-2011, 06:28 AM

I'm going to follow this thread I love the idea. How long would you start the center rectangle?
Old 07-11-2011, 06:28 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your leg, I hope you heal quickly. I recently went thru hip surgery and its taking a long time to heal
Old 07-11-2011, 06:30 AM

Sorry..haven't made a log cabin yet..on my "to do" list. Best wishes for speedy recovery on broken leg. I fell 6 yrs ago and broke my hip in 3 places. Couldn't put weight on it for 5 mos...so...I can totally sympathize with what you are going through!! Hugs!! :)
Old 07-11-2011, 06:33 AM
cjr

I have done a table topper this wAy. If you are making a large quilt, start with a larger center block.
I have also done lap quilts this way. I've use strips in different sizes, like a 2" and 5". makes up quickly and looks good.
Goood luck staying still. Let your mind continue to wonder.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:40 AM

so sorry to hear about your leg. I have started my 1st log cabin. Sorry I can't be of much help but, what you plan sounds like it will be beautiful. Post pictures when your done!
Old 07-11-2011, 07:07 AM

I made a throw size log cabin. It does get tedious while piecing but really loved the end result. My niece and her husband loved it! :thumbup:
Old 07-11-2011, 07:49 AM

Hi. I made one for my mother. Started with a 4 inch square and just kept building. It turned out great. She loved it. Check out quiltdad's blog. He made a beautiful one.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:40 AM

This quilt is basically a log cabin construction. I used wide strips of minkee and very narrow strips of a striped fabric that had all the colors the mommy-to-be liked. She says it is her favorite baby quilt!

Originally Posted by lue
Has anyone ever made a whole quilt as a log cabin? I love the log cabin pattern though I've made only one and didn't know about chaining to construct it. Oh well...next time. But my question is whether any of you has ever made a log cabin quilt that started with the center square and just continued adding strips until the whole quilt was made. If so, is there anything I should know before I embark on such a project? If not, what do you think? Can it be done?

I fell yesterday and broke my leg so I'm laid up on the sofa in a boot with a walker at my side!@#$% so I may just have too much thinking time on my hands.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-224928.jpe  
Old 07-11-2011, 09:49 AM

I have seen this done as a 'rectangular' quilt in a book I have somewhere. Instead of a square in the middle it was longer than wide so that the quilt did not turn out to be a square. It's actually quite lovely. My advise would be go for it but I would think you might want your logs to be a wee bit larger than 2.5" wide.

I've also seen it done as placemats (again using rectangle). This time I think the strips were cut at 1.5".

So sorry about your leg ... do you have any 'hand work' to keep you occupied?
Old 07-11-2011, 09:52 AM

Hope your leg heals well. I say the same thing about walkers. Spent a year on one and disliked every minute. I like your idea of a one square log cabin quilt. Might think about trying one myself one of these days. I have 4 of the regular ones. Three kingsize, one double bed and one twin bed size. Used the chain sewing method on all and they were made real fast. Had to! It was a month before Christmas and I wanted to make all 3 of my children one for Christmas. Okay one month was enough time to make 2 of the king size and the twin size but then I had to go in for surgery. I did it all three in a two week period of time. Those were my first experience with making a quilt. Picked it back up a couple of years ago again and this time I have not stopped.