Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone ever made a whole quilt as a log cabin? >

Has anyone ever made a whole quilt as a log cabin?

Has anyone ever made a whole quilt as a log cabin?

Old 07-11-2011, 05:24 PM

Dear Lue,
Sorry you are laid up. Think about this idea.Take scraps or colors that you used in the log cabin block and maybe coordinating colors. Strip them. Run the pieced colors on the sides. You could use maybe 2 1/2 inches and a larger, maybe 4 inches for instance. Making long strips of multi colored pieces and sewing the more narrow on one side and the wider on the other. Or alternating them. That would give you added colors without specific patterns.

I saw this idea in an American Quilter Magazine. It's called Dimensional Scrap Quilt by Nancy Zieman. It's a neat quilt and you might be able to use some of the ideas of the quilt with yours.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:27 PM

Gale,

I like your idea. I think that would make a beautiful quilt!
Old 07-11-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by raedar63
These are fun. Here is one a board member here made.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-65254-1.htm
This is really a neat quilt, and the only change that Eddie made, from the traditional starting square, is to start with a rectangle, and that way, you get the rectangle finished quilt. I would go for it. What a neat thing.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:21 PM

I have started out with a small rectangle and just kept adding strips until it was quilt size. I love doing scrappy quilts this way but it does take time.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:02 AM

Interesting topic...awaiting the feedback.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:31 AM
Power Poster

Sorry about your leg. Its no fun being laid up but it gives you lots of time to think of things like this. I love your idea and am going to steal it. I am trying to use up some of my stash-so i can get more- and I need covers for my living room chairs. This idea my just be what I need. Thank You.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by lue
Has anyone ever made a whole quilt as a log cabin? I love the log cabin pattern though I've made only one and didn't know about chaining to construct it. Oh well...next time. But my question is whether any of you has ever made a log cabin quilt that started with the center square and just continued adding strips until the whole quilt was made. If so, is there anything I should know before I embark on such a project? If not, what do you think? Can it be done?

I fell yesterday and broke my leg so I'm laid up on the sofa in a boot with a walker at my side!@#$% so I may just have too much thinking time on my hands.
Have you ever read instructions when sewing long strips together? They always tell you to change directions. I'm betting that trying to sew a quilt like that would scew it pretty bad. You are going round & round in the same direction forever, plus you will lose all the wonderful combo's you get with your light & dark side combo's of smaller blocks. You will have a light & dark hst basically.
You can do what you want, but it seems a better use of fabric with blocks.
Whatever you decide, enjoy.
Judi
Old 07-12-2011, 03:56 AM

the back of my lamb quilt I used my Quilt Wizard software to at least have an idea of what size strips would give me coverage of the back of the quilt, and would take into consideration the size of the prints. Mine was small enough that just the last pieces had to be patched together and I used a border/binding technique, tried to get the pattern to match up.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-225243.jpe  
Old 07-12-2011, 04:38 AM

SOUNDS LIKE A FUN QUILT.
Sorry to hear about your leg. When I broke my ankle I would sit in my wheelchair with my leg propped up and was just able to fit it under a card table with my sewing machine on. That way I was able to have something to show for all that sitting around.I did have to learn how to run the pressure foot with my left foot.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:23 PM
Power Poster

Happy Moving!

Or you could do one giant log cabin, and when you get your width to where you want it, just continue on with strips on the top/bottom to get your rectangular shape and increase your length.

What size of strips are you thinking of using?

hhmmmmmm.......... maybe do it all in Hawaiian prints? :)