Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone ever... >

Has anyone ever...

Has anyone ever...

Old 08-28-2014, 02:17 AM

I bought a high end machine with all the hoops and feet.It never worked properly and I got no support . I no longer had the money to buy a similar machine so traded the lot in for a lower machine which had most of the features that I wanted. It is a different brand and I have been very happy with it. I'll buy a separate embroidery machine eventually.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:56 AM

I have. I traded a Bernina 820 which was a pain in the neck for a 550. The dealer made me an even trade and even trade for the insert for my table.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:31 AM

I have bought up and down both. Depends on what you want to sew and how many features you feel you really need for your projects. I inherited my mom's Singer treadle but passed it on to my daughter. I have several Singer featherweights, an old tailor's machine in a little "suitcase", a couple of no name portables, an upholstery machine, a Pfaff portable and two Babylock portables. I really like the features on the newer machines so use them mostly. The features I like best are the needle threader (vision problems), and the thread cutter, plus a variety of buttonholes. The Pfaff has a built in walking foot that is truly wonderful. Decide what you want/need and go from there.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:07 AM

Thank you for having this conversation. Peaceandjoy, I have been having fits of your problem, the "Gee it might be nice to have one of those-itis." I just don't seem to be able to make the jump.

My problem is that for marketing and cash flow reasons the manufacturers do not support their older machines beyond bits and pieces like feet. There are a lot of people who sew but there is a smaller group who is capable of paying thousands of dollars for a machine with all kinds of bells and whistles. And there is a smaller group within that original group who can buy the ongoing embroidery patterns, etc. And an even smaller group within the second group who will buy and use them.

And then there is the problem of having the complicated, computerized machines serviced. Or having someone at the company OR local level knowledgable about their innards talk to you about a problem or a "how to best do" something. And the most concerning for me is finding a local service person who can do more than I can (which is a thorough cleaning and dusting). (Yes, I have gone to all but one of the local dealers [another story] and was told they did not have anyonewho serviced/repaired the old machines.) I have contacted the manufacturer and was not even gifted with the courtesy of a response. I went out of town, discussed the service needs of a machine I already own and was told they would not do the fix because it was too much work. No one had even started to talk about cost! Gracious!!!

I may submit to the above mentioned "-itis" but not just yet. And absolutely not locally. If there is a fix for the difficulties above, please let me know and I will probably be in the front of the "sell it to me now" line somewhere.

Getting off soap box now,

Pat
Old 08-28-2014, 06:09 AM

Its whatever works for you. I use a Viking Designer 1, 14 years old but its the only one I have to use as I use my other embroidery machine just for embroidery. If I had my way I'd take back my Elna SU62 I had back in the 70's. Sold it when I got the Viking in 2000. Been kicking myself ever since. The Elna never saw the inside of a repair shop and I abused it terribly but she kept on stitching. Think one of the little knobs finally split but I glued it back together. Still wish I had her.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:59 AM

I haven't actually traded down, but I use my 1939 Singer 201 for most of my sewing even though I have a nearly new Singer XL-400 sewing/embroidery machine. The XL-400 is used mostly for embroidery, or special stitches unavailable on my vintage machines. I have on occasion thought I wanted a brand-spanking-new machine with all the bells and whistles, but finances prohibit acting on it. I am so used to my vintage machines, I probably wouldn't enjoy having to learn to use a more complicated machine.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

Maybe you are finding you don't need all the bells and whistles that your machine has? There is certainly nothing wrong with selling it and getting a simpler machine.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:46 PM

I have the newest and greatest Bernina an 880 but if I didn't enjoy sewing on it and the embroidery module I would certainly "trade down". My DH sells and services vintage Singer featherweight 221 machines. And when I go to a class where I don't need the Bernina I will always take a featherweight. They are light and still sew a beautiful straight seam. I even bought a walking foot for it!
Old 08-28-2014, 05:30 PM

Singer has really great support even for their very old machines. I had a friend of the family offer to trade me her 10-year old Viking for my 40-year old Singer Genie. More functions means more things that can break and hers was just costing her too much money. Not sure what she ever did with that, but I'm happy I've kept my machine. Metal parts & a good straight stitch will carry you a long ways in the quilting world. Sure, there are days where I wish I could do embroidery or one of those fancy stitches that thread artists are always showing off at quilt shows, but most days I'm happy FMQ'ing away on my old little machine. It's super portable, does what I need it to do & I have yet to have an issue finding good parts or service for it.