Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever wanted to give up quilting?

Blog Entries
    The other day I was at my mom's and she said that she was going to massively downsize. She seems to have lost interest in quilting. This has been going on for quite awhile and she decided to get rid of most of her fabic, and she has tons. Has this ever happened to anyone and then you got interested again?

I went thru a phase during my 40s when I didn't touch the sewing machine, not even mending. And recently I've had a creative block but am slowing getting out of it.

I stopped quilting for awhile but I was in college, then I got married, and getting used to getting married. Then I had no room. Now that I'm expecting I'm getting back into quilting.

Blog Entries
    Yeah kinda sorta. I don't know if it's because summer is here or what but I have no interest in it right now. I've had a hard time forcing myself to even go into my sewing room when it is rainy or blah out & even last winter. I think my anti depressants need changed & maybe I would feel like myself again.

Blog Entries
    Yes. Usually when I was working, I never thought about it & put it all away. Now I have it all out again. I've also decided not to buy more stash in case I get tired of it again.

I stopped quilting about 10 or so years ago.

Picked it back up a couple of months ago.

I do what I want to do. Always.

Blog Entries
    It comes and goes with me. I may not sew for a few months and then I'll walk in my sewing room and love quilting again. I like to crochet and I do that when the mood strikes. I enrolled in an art class and now I'm doing a watercolor that has my full interest. That may last a month or a year. I just go with my wishes.

I've been making quilts for over 30 years and have often gone into a "no quilting" phase. Sometimes I just run out of the creative juices but that doesn't generally last too long. I hadn't made a quilt in almost a year, then made 6 in about 6 weeks. Once I get going, I remember how much I love sitting at the sewing machine. Right now I'm making bucket hats for all the gals in my water aerobics class (great way to use scraps).

I have downsized my stash cause so much of the older fabrics no longer fit my style sense. Luckily I have many quilting friends and they are always eager to help me downsize. It helps to get rid of that "Wonder" fabric (wonder why I ever bought it).

When I was working I had no time to sew and didn't until recently start back.

Blog Entries
    I quit for about 15 years (but never gave up any tools or stash), but now that I'm retired I am really excited about quilting again. And bought myself a new sewing machine (quilters type) for my birthday last year. Even set up a quilting/sewing room when we moved.

Blog Entries
    When I see all the fabrics and books in my sewing room I would like to get rid of everything and only buy when I am in the mood to do quilting. I have way too much now, too overwhelming.

I know many people who get into quilting, make the quilts they want to, mostly for themselves and family, and then stop.

Quote Originally Posted by jmabby
    When I see all the fabrics and books in my sewing room I would like to get rid of everything and only buy when I am in the mood to do quilting. I have way too much now, too overwhelming.
    Agree Agree Agree Agree. I want all new fabric!!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    yep...every other week or so....wish I could just walk away from it all...

NOOOOOOOO!!!!

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    I want to quit everytime I have to rip out a seam! Sometimes it takes me a while to get back to it! Does that count?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreaming
    The other day I was at my mom's and she said that she was going to massively downsize. She seems to have lost interest in quilting. This has been going on for quite awhile and she decided to get rid of most of her fabic, and she has tons. Has this ever happened to anyone and then you got interested again?
    How old is your Mom, is she going through menopause, feelings and moods do strange things at this time! Ask me how I know!! :lol: Could she be depressed? One of the signs of depression is loss of interest in things. I have found that my interests wax and wane....maybe she should just hang in there for awhile.

Quilting comes and goes with me. I get burned out from designing and get busy with other things that keep me from quilting. Like "Do I search through fabrics online or do I spend my night with a video game?" I pick projects beyond what I think is my general skill level because I don't like the simple designs within my general skill level and then get frustrated with it.

But truly give up on it? Thought about it once. At the time I had only made three quilts and later had a huge falling out with each quilt recipiant (not all three at the same time). Honestly thought my quilting was cursed. But I talked about it on the board and people told me not to give up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreaming
    Sorry double post! I do want to add "everytime I try to do FMQ!"

I don't think I'll ever give up quilting entirely. My MIL is 85 years old and I try to get her back interested in it. Her heart just isn't in sewing any more which is sad because she makes beautiful items. I hope I don't stop quilting and sewing....

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    yep...every other week or so....wish I could just walk away from it all...
    please don't take this the wrong way, but why can't you walk away if you are tired of it?

Blog Entries
    I have just been in hospital, after coming home I couldn't rake up any interest or energy to quilt, thank goodness it has come back this week. I couldn't imagine life without sewing
    Dale
    New Zealand

Blog Entries
    I have recently hit a "snag" in my quilting. I have no desire to sew anything. So during this time, I am going through all of my fabrics; folding them nice and neat, cutting off odd ball sections, cutting all of the scraps into various blocks and the need to get back to creating a quilt was popping up all day today. So hopefully it will not take much longer and I will be back at the sewing machine.

Quote Originally Posted by jmabby
    I have had that feeling myself at times and know a couple of quilters who have actually done it. My problem is that I really LIKE what I have in my stash and the most recent stuff doesn't do much for me LOL :-D

I went through a slight depression about 6 years age. I lost interest and then I knew something wasn't right with me. I got a prescription of wellbutrin from my doctor and took it for 9 months and worked with a counsellor. I finally came around and all my favorite interests came back -- crochet, crafts, sewing and quilting. I never want to be "there" again. I am happy again. My patient husband was a great supporter. So, yes, depression can be a cause of your mom's loss of interest.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast