Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone made this pattern?

Has anyone made this pattern?

The pattern is called All stacked Up. The fabric is Kaffe Fassett Spring 2017 collective. I bought the kit from Hancock`s. It will be the most challenging quilt I've ever attempted. The cutting and layout alone are more than I've ever done, and all those half square triangles. So far I've read through the pattern 3 times and labeled all the fabric. I'm a bit intimidated but excited to make this.
    Name:  20180917_181905_resized.jpg
Views: 2450
Size:  368.4 KB
    Last edited by midwife; 09-17-2018 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Forgot picture

I have not made this but I went and took a peek at it here. http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/PRE-...4-by-72-Inches

While it looks intimidating the block itself is simple and the quilt is made up of the same block (done in color sets of three) simply flipped for the color placement. The key is keeping your fabrics organized to make the layered pattern formed by three identical blocks with one from the adjacent grouping (a different color set). A design wall or a place for you to lay out all the blocks will make it super easy for you. You can totally do this.

If HST intimidate you, you may wish to look into a thangles or other similar paper product. Or this will be the perfect opportunity for you to try out different ways of making HST and see what way you like best and gain a boat load of confidence in making HST and working with them.

It looks fun and challenging to keep the fabrics, pieces, and blocks organized.

Look at Step 8 where there are multiple blocks. Those could be chained pieced.

You may want to create a legend so you know each fabric and designated letter.

Best wishes! It's going to be gorgeous in those fabrics.

Blog Entries
    Oh thank you. I got it printed. another one to make.

feline fanatic is right. It looks more complicated than it is. The blocks are a kind of log cabin construction, simple. The challenge will be not getting the layout confused, for sure, also matching all the seams on those narrow logs.

Love this pattern. I looked closely at it, and it is easier to construct than it appears. You can even draft the block as a paper pieced pattern, which is probably what I will do.

Love the fabrics, too. Will put this quilt on my to-do list as well. Thanks for posting the link.

Please let us know how you do with this quilt. Would love to see the completed quilt.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

I did one similar to this that was free from Moda called Stacked Squares. It was easy (so easy I made two) but you will definitely need a design wall or equivalent. It does kind of remind you of a log cabin cut into fours, but you can leave some blocks as fussy cuts(panel blocks) as I did on one. These blocks are the size of the four blocks together. Can't seem to add pic.
    Jan

I printed that pattern off. What about the background fabric (the light color in each block)? I didn't see yardage for that. Does anyone know how much it takes?

Name:  Stacked Squares.jpg
Views: 2353
Size:  1.75 MBName:  Eesha.jpg
Views: 2337
Size:  1.85 MBOK I got them uploaded, but I lost some of it in resizing but you get the idea.
    Jan

I love both of the patterns. I have to make a horse quilt for a granddaughter and Stacked Squares or All Stacked up could be the pattern. Why do I find it so hard to make a decision about choosing a pattern??? I've been looking for over a year.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

No, but I like it! Have fun!
    I don't dance with wolves; I quilt with dogs!
    Cathy

I printed the pattern. It looks easier than I thought it would be. The layout will be what you need to be carful with. Label, label, label. Bucket list for sure! Love it. Thanks for sharing.
    SEW MUCH FUN!

What an exciting project! As others have said, the block itself is simple and it will be the layout where you'll have challenges. Definitely a design wall and you'll do just fine. Can't wait to see your progress.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Looks very involved, just would need to be so organized!

Quote Originally Posted by osewme View Post
    I printed that pattern off. What about the background fabric (the light color in each block)? I didn't see yardage for that. Does anyone know how much it takes?
    On the last page of cutting instructions it says - From Fabric AAA cut 6 - 5 inch X WOF then subcut into 48 5 inch squares for background.

All Stacked Up

My group decided to make this pattern. I said, “no way”!!! After I saw everyone else coming in with a completed quilt, I decided to make it. It was not hard at all!! The part that was intimidating for me was the cutting directions that showed the huge list of fabrics. After I had paired up the contrasting fabrics that would make the same block, it was smooth sailing. I have kept this quilt for myself. It is all “dots” and solids. I love it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ooooh what a neat pattern! It's fun how the blocks overlap. Good luck. I would surely get confused somewhere along the way
    Lori

Thank you all for your tips and encouragement. Jaiade those are great quilts. Ellen your colors are amazing. It really makes those squares pop.

Quote Originally Posted by midwife View Post
    Thank you all for your tips and encouragement. Jaiade those are great quilts. Ellen your colors are amazing. It really makes those squares pop.
    The trick is to pick a LOT of contrast between the 2 fabrics that has been paired for each block. I pulled out my dots and solids, then I paired these together until I had 26 different sets.

I then made the 3 units for each block. Notice there is only 1 block you need 4 units for. 3 blocks you only need 1 unit for and 4 blocks you only need 2 units for. :-)

I forgot to say, don’t sew the rows together until ALL blocks are made. This is so you can move the blocks around for better placement with other colors. The reason I say this.... (I was too excited with my progress that I did not want to wait until they were all made!)....I had to unsew a few of my blocks and a whole row because of the placement of the row under it that did not match up. Just sharing an experience well learned on this quilt. :-0
    Last edited by Ellen 1; 09-18-2018 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Forgot something.....

Love this pattern and am going to try it too. Hope to see your finished quilt.

Blog Entries
    Wow, what a gorgeous pattern! Much luck and I hope it's fun!
    *this space for rent*

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    I have not made this but I went and took a peek at it here. http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/PRE-...4-by-72-Inches

While it looks intimidating the block itself is simple and the quilt is made up of the same block (done in color sets of three) simply flipped for the color placement. The key is keeping your fabrics organized to make the layered pattern formed by three identical blocks with one from the adjacent grouping (a different color set). A design wall or a place for you to lay out all the blocks will make it super easy for you. You can totally do this.

If HST intimidate you, you may wish to look into a thangles or other similar paper product. Or this will be the perfect opportunity for you to try out different ways of making HST and see what way you like best and gain a boat load of confidence in making HST and working with them.
    Love your response, enthusiasm and encouragement! Sometimes we all need that little boost of enthusiasm to recharge our batteries!. Thanks

I love this pattern! I want to make it.

Great pattern I have added it to my one day list.

Blog Entries
    Wow, that is gorgeous. It's gonna take some skill with all those seams to match. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast