Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
has anyone made a quilt for the color blind? >

has anyone made a quilt for the color blind?

has anyone made a quilt for the color blind?

Old 10-03-2010, 10:11 AM
Banned

Will you tell us what you have done about this situation.
Did you take him to the quilt shop.
Inquiring minds want to know.
BTW I don't believe crayons will work unless they are the primary and secondary colors. Any other is just confusing.
When I was in the first grade and that was a time when the teacher colored a sample printed off the "Hectograph" (remember that?) I colored the bunny pink because I knew bunnies in color books were pink. I didn't know the "sample" was colored gray. I don't remember if my color box had a gray crayon or not. That was many many years ago and I still remember the class laughing at my art work. So get him to the store.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:21 AM

2 of my sons are very red/green color blind. Uncle Sam is the only one that seems to have a problem with it but that's another story. Your friend probably won't have a problem with any color you pick out. Just remember he won't see the color the same way you do. Some colors may appear more of what we consider gray or brown but remember he's used to seeing his world that way so just do it with love & anything will be fine.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:24 AM

I think taking him to the LQS is a great idea. Then ask him to separate the fabrics according to value and contrast. That might be very helpful.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mooly
I'm a beginning quilter. Just learning to make pot holders. However, I have been an artist and interested in color all my life.

And, I came across this amazing color site the other day:

http://colorschemedesigner.com/#

Go to the top of the page and click on 'vision simulation.' This shows how various colors appear to people with different types of color blindness.

I have never seen this information anywhere before. I hope it helps with the quilt.

Mooly
I've spent a few fascinating hours playing with this site myself. A similar site that might help you get an idea is:
http://www.iamcal.com/toys/colors/
Old 10-04-2010, 07:19 AM

Annya:
So glad you liked my quilts. I also enjoy watching the shows. Just wish they had more of them, lol.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:52 PM

If he can see contrast - go with that if you don't want to ask him. Take a black and white copy of a pattern to see what he sees. Stick to drastic contrast. Maybe you will get brave and present him with the copy or take him with you to the store and allow him to pick out the fabrics. Make sure you write down which fabric will replace the color of fabric for the pattern pictured. It is no fun getting a project home, washing the fabric, then trying to figure out what goes where!
What a wonderful idea. I am sure he will be thrilled. Good luck.
Lilhawk
Old 10-05-2010, 01:40 PM

I haven't had a chance to read all the responses, but had to logon so I could comment. My nephew is also color-blind, and with him, it isn't just colors appear grey, but that some colors appear as stripes do on TV (you know, where they zigzag each time someone moves). So, it may be best to really find out what exactly happens when he sees certain colors or patterns. Good luck, be sure to post!
Old 10-05-2010, 06:46 PM

I was just remembering a woman I knew who was color blind. She lived in a brown cabin and bought only brown things. She said that way she knew everything would match.

One possiblity for you would be to ask your quilt recipient to send you photos of the interior of his house. That way you will know what colors look good to him and that the quilt will match his house.

Fascinating subject. Not one that I have considered before this question came up.

Mooly
Old 10-13-2010, 12:32 PM

Depends on what kind of colorblindness he has. If it's blue/ green then he has trouble distinguising them. You could use both of them with maybe some purples and yellows. Maybe something in primary colors? Let us know what you choose!