Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone made something and not know if you like it? >

Has anyone made something and not know if you like it?

Has anyone made something and not know if you like it?

Old 06-24-2017, 07:49 AM

And that is why so many of us have a stash of quick gifts - that box to go thru for the fast housewarming, thank you or just because gift. We may not care for it, but someone else will be delighted to get a handmade item from you!
Old 06-24-2017, 07:54 AM

I have mentioned before that I have a couple pizza boxes (not used) that I keep sample blocks in. These are either new patterns or new color combos or whatever that I was playing with. (The cardboard box is good because of any moisture the blocks may have from being worked on.) I will often go to these boxes and find a block to put on the outside of a tote bag as a gift (or container for a gift)or line one, fold in half and make it into a wine bag. This is better and cheaper than gift wrap and the person feels they are getting an extra present. It also lets me feel less guilty about trying out lots of new pattern designs , color combos or oddball fabrics.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Oh yeah. I have a quilt (top) I've dubbed "the ugly quilt". It started with a layer cake in a fabric line I really liked, but I picked a bleh solid to go with it. The solid matches some of the layer cake fabric perfectly but it was just the wrong choice and now that it's all put together I don't like it at all. Some day I'll finish it into a quilt and start showing it to people - someone will love it. It's not truly terrible, just not to my taste, at all. It's grown on me a little bit, but not enough to make me want to finish it for myself.

Found a picture of it.
I like your ugly quilt.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

or married someone and not sure you like him/her afterwards?

(Sorry - that was off topic - but I was unable to resist)
Old 06-24-2017, 11:02 AM

Yes, it has happened with me also. Sometimes when I work on something a long time, I want to cut it up into little it up into tiny pieces and never see it again! I think we tend to expect too much of ourselves in too short a time.
Or, that is my observation of my quilting experience.
Mariah
Old 06-24-2017, 11:51 AM
Power Poster

Good heaven's ... Yes! But, it usually is something I am making for someone else and made to their taste. But, there are a few finishes that I had to put away after completing them just because I was sick of them by the time I finished it. Then, when I get it back out, I think, Hey what was the problem? I like it.

Mostly the regrets I have are over artsy fabric. I wonder what I was thinking when I bought it. I never can find anything to go with it or just the right pattern to showcase it right, so it taunts me from the closet. Know what I mean? I have a stack of these buggers.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:30 PM

I like it too but then I do like grays.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:28 PM

I kind of like that quilt, but think I might put some sort of applique or motif in the large gray areas so that it doesn't "grab" so much attention. I have several of partly finished quilts that I have "gone off the boil to finish" (big wrist slap here)
Old 06-24-2017, 03:33 PM
Power Poster

I love your quilt and the fact your solid is grey goes with some of the yellow circled and grey fabric. I think if you bound it with that great looking bright blue it would make it all come together. [QUOTE=Sewnoma;7850027]Oh yeah. I have a quilt (top) I've dubbed "the ugly quilt". It started with a layer cake in a fabric line I really liked, but I picked a bleh solid to go with it. The solid matches some of the layer cake fabric perfectly but it was just the wrong choice and now that it's all put together I don't like it at all. Some day I'll finish it into a quilt and start showing it to people
Old 06-24-2017, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by klswift View Post
I have mentioned before that I have a couple pizza boxes (not used) that I keep sample blocks in. These are either new patterns or new color combos or whatever that I was playing with. (The cardboard box is good because of any moisture the blocks may have from being worked on.) I will often go to these boxes and find a block to put on the outside of a tote bag as a gift (or container for a gift)or line one, fold in half and make it into a wine bag. This is better and cheaper than gift wrap and the person feels they are getting an extra present. It also lets me feel less guilty about trying out lots of new pattern designs , color combos or oddball fabrics.
That's a great idea for all those extra quilt blocks!
I do that all the time, make something I begin to detest, sometimes so hard to finish but I do since 97% of my things are given away