Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone tried the new technique for cutting half-square triangles?

I find the time saved and the consistenccy of size is worth the money spent. However, I only use thangles when I have a whole lot of HST's to make. For only a few, I use the other method of sewing two squares together and then cutting them out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda
    Quote Originally Posted by auntmag
    Same here. I prefer thangles or triangles on a roll.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
    What others said, different strokes for different folks, but my eyes glazed over within the first minute on her explanation...
    I don't like to spend my money on thangles to make something I can make easily without them. I'd rather spend that money on fabrics.

This is the method I use if I only have a few to make for a small project.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
    Everyone keeps mentioning making HST's without marking on the fabric. What method (other than cutting each triangle individually) allows you to make HST's without marking a seam line?

I have the Tucker Trimmer template (by Deb Tucker) and I really like it. I have to cut all my squares, and mark my diagnol line to sew 1/4" on each side of, but I don't have to be super accurate with my cutting because you trim the square down afterwards matching up the seam line on your template. I really like that in that last step you get rid of the dogears at the same time you're cutting down to size. But with these templates that you showed a link to, there's no cutting all the squares out first. I like that. I probably can't justify having TWO different templates for the same thing, but if I didn't have the one I have already, I'd probably get these.

I follow the pattern and they turn out great. Not a big deal, if you can sew a straight line, or follow a line.

Blog Entries
    It's interesting. I use Triangles on a Roll and find them a bit easier than Thangles.

I use the gridded method. I have PDFs of several sizes and if needed for odd size I draft it. I stitch and cut right through the paper. The only cost is printer ink and paper or time if I have to draft.

Blog Entries
    I saw this technique, I think it was on TQS, where you lay two squares together, sew 1/4" around all four sides and then cut diagonally across twice = four half square triangles. OK so you have to work out how big to cut the squares for the required finished size, but that is all. Sew Simple and fast! I agree with feline fanatic that it is better to add 1" rather than 7/8", then square it up.

did she go to the quilt show in kokomo, indiana?

Quote Originally Posted by hobo2000
    Someone posted a method on the board putting 2 squares face to face and sewing 1/4" all the way around, cut on diagonal twice for 4 perfect hst's. I had so much fun playing with this idea, I ended up with a pinwheel quilt over the weekend.
    I don't know how to find it again but it was two weeks ago. None of these rulers work for long, I lose them or forget them.
    Was it this one? http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-48946-1.htm
    That was me. I have a quilt that I am in the process of finishing - this is SO easy - no drawing. Just sew, cut corner to corner, and put the 4 squares together in the pinwheel method. The only ruler you need is one to cut from corner to corner. And I learned to use a LOT of Best Press (or starch).
    Check out my blog - I just posted it there last night: http://Marthava.blogspot.com

Martha

Quote Originally Posted by Mumzbear
    My daughter bought a new template for making perfect half square triangles at a quilt show last week.
    HALF SQUARE TRIANGLE TEMPLATES: Introducing a new template technique for cutting faster, more accurate half square triangles.
    I watched the tutorial at

http://templatetechniques.com

I was very impressed as I always have a problem keeping them from stretching. I would like opinions from other quilters as to what they think of this method.
    I've used this method, but without the specila triangle template. I found that the edges on the bias was a problem. With 2 squares placed together and marked and sewn doen the diagonal, the bias is on the stitched seam which is not a problem.

I clicked on the link, but the sound cut out after the first minute or so. I've learned over the years that making the HST's a little larger than the true finished block size, and then cutting (sizing) them down, results in the most accurate HST's. It might take a few minutes more, but the size is perfect.

I just start with two squares (oversized), draw a line on the diagonal, and sew 1/4" from the line on both sides....cut on the drawn line, open, press, "cut to size" and voila!! They're done.

Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    a tool like this would never interest me.

1. a different template for each size HST? no thank you
    2. drawing lines? no thank you
    3. all those extra steps? no thank you
    4. ridiculously expensive? no thank you

different tools work best for different quilters.

for me, the EZ Quilting line of triangle rulers - most designed by Sharon Hultgren - are much less expensive, easier to use, fewer steps, and provide consistently accurate patches. each ruler can be used to make a variety of sizes in just a few simple steps.
    I agree!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarthaVA
    Someone posted a method on the board putting 2 squares face to face and sewing 1/4" all the way around, cut on diagonal twice for 4 perfect hst's. I had so much fun playing with this idea, I ended up with a pinwheel quilt over the weekend.
    I don't know how to find it again but it was two weeks ago. None of these rulers work for long, I lose them or forget them.
    That was me. I have a quilt that I am in the process of finishing - this is SO easy - no drawing. Just sew, cut corner to corner, and put the 4 squares together in the pinwheel method. The only ruler you need is one to cut from corner to corner. And I learned to use a LOT of Best Press (or starch).
    Check out my blog - I just posted it there last night: http://Marthava.blogspot.com

Martha
    Yes Martha. I have you to thank for posting this originally, I knew I had seen a demonstration somewhere, but as I watch several shows I got confused. Nothing confusing about this method though ..... I am converted, and Rhonda's method is also brilliant for using up scraps.

Blog Entries
    Bias edges on HSTs can be a big problem. I like new ways to make the same thing and every method has it's advantage either time saving, fabric saving, simply to do, money saving, or just plain fun.

Great tip, thank you!!

Too many steps for me. I'm not sure what this gets me since I already make hst that way. I just don't have her ruler. In my experience, a ruler that small slips around too much. I know she has it butted up against the thread, but only on one side.

thanks for sharing this, interesting new way to get the hst's

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SueDor
    Check out Rhonda's hst.
    That was my reply too. Isn't it nice that we have options?

Has anyone used an expensive software program called Triangulations to make HST? I use it all the time and love it. There is now a newer version that also makes QST. It allows you to print grids for many different sizes. And it is less than $30. BTW, I love the quilts folks show - so thanks for the eye candy.

I've been a fan of Thangles for quite sometime, and there is another product I've tried and liked if you're making lots of the same 1/2 sq triangles - called Ta Da Triangles. Both of these products work well for me.

Wow! I just posted about Thangles and TaDa Triangles, but I hadn't seen this method!!! How GREAT!!! I want to go home and try it out now! I am just finishing up a pinwheel quilt and this would have been a great method!!! THANKS for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by nantucketsue
    Quote Originally Posted by MarthaVA

Martha
    Yes Martha. I have you to thank for posting this originally, I knew I had seen a demonstration somewhere, but as I watch several shows I got confused. Nothing confusing about this method though ..... I am converted, and Rhonda's method is also brilliant for using up scraps.

OK, so now my mind is racing....I get easily excited! :) How do you figure out the size of your squares for different size 1/2 sq triangles?

I love, love, love Rhonda's methods for everything she does. Since I found her on this board, I think I have used her directions for almost everything.

Ditto, I always trim to accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    I've just always used the grid method only I do my grid 1" bigger than finished size instead of 7/8" and trim down while squaring them up. I also use the leaders and enders method for making them with the triangle bits I lop off from making flying geese blocks (which I make using a rectangle and a square) and trim those to various sizes.

This has always worked well for me and I don't mind marking the fabric because my grid marks for the squares are usually cut off in the trimming process and the lines drawn for my sewing 1/4" away are invisible in my seam allowance.

I use Thangles. They are so easy to use No thinking required and for me that is a big thing.

to make

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast