Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: has anyone tried scalloped borders

I was amazed at how "simple" they were. Time consuming - yes, difficult - no. I owe some pics to some people who provided instructions both on this board - just completed the quilt this week. The main things I learned: get a scalloped tool (Quilt in a Day or Terry Clothier (I used Terry Clothier); watch a video you can find on YouTube about scalloped edges (Quilt in a Day tool); stitch the scalloped edges down at the very edge before cutting; use the exact same color thread as the binding (the inside scallop shows the stitch in the point); pull tight going into the point and push fabric slightly into the feed dogs on the outside curve. All of the reports I heard were to use a narrow binding - 1 5/8" to start with. I found this way too narrow and went to 2". I had no problem with this, nor did I have trouble with the seam falling directly in the crevice. I assembled all of my binding together thinking if a seam was going to fall in the crevice, I'd just cut and unstitch and make a seam in another place. First time I came near the crevice it hit dead on. I went past it a bit, then turned it and all was good - kept going with no worries about where the seam fell. Don't watch posts (no time for that - want to be sewing along!), so if you want any more info you'll have to PM. Have fun and good luck.

Binding a scallopped edge is the hard part. Make sure you cut the binding out on the bias and take your time sewing it on. I bought one of those scallopped edge templates, then chickened out and did a wavy border. I like the result, so one of these days I'll be braver!

Blog Entries
    Have you though of a piano borader with the scraps from the quilt?

Blog Entries
    I did scallops on a double wedding ring. It wasn't too bad.

MiMom ... you have a beautiful modern sampler there! While it would be nice to try the scallops, IMHO the work you'd do, just wouldn't have a chance to show on this quilt.

My thoughts would be to frame it up simply with a dark border. There's enough happening in the centre that you don't want to have your eyes drawn to the border, rather to all the different blocks in the sampler.

Let us know what your LQS friends suggest when they see it IRL.
    LQS = Longarm Quilt Society? or?

While we're talking scalloped borders, I'll ask about this.

Has anyone done a pieced straight/scalloped border. Think pianokey-bargello-scalloped. Here's a link to a pic.

http://www.thequiltshow.com/os/bom/14/bom_14_05.jpg

I don't have the pattern, and if anyone knows where I can find it, please let me know. Ironically I'd already started baskets and was thinking of scallops .... then saw this!

Would do baskets on bed top. Lots of background bordering then this piano key scallop ........ if I can figure out how! Thanks!!

I did a scalloped border recently on a Double Wedding Ring Quilt (see DWR-WIP post). I handled the inside corners with a miter. Other than that putting on the bias binding wasn't too complicated.

IMHO, however the pictured quilt would look better with straight borders.

Yes, I have done them on two quilts, they are simple with the Scallop and Vine Ruler. As real feeling of accomplishment when the project is finished, and such a soft beautiful look. Try it, you might like it!!!

Blog Entries
    beautfiul quilt

Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!
    I think a 2nd straight border about 2.5 inches finished (deep reds from your quilt colors), then a dark (to match your color scheme) for the scallop would look great!

I draw right on the good side of the fabric with chalk :)
    I basically put a fat straight border on. Then I mark corners with a dinnerplate or my special scallop ruler to a "fullness" that I feel looks good.

Then I find the dead center of all 4 sides, and mark it with a stripe of scotch tape, then I visually (with special humpy scallop ruler) see about how they'll meet going from corner to center mark... choose a size and go for it.

I boo-boo'd one quilt, and got a point in the center when doing soft scallops (like a hilly road)... but I ended up liking it, it made an interesting focal point on the drop sides when I dressed the bed :)

Blog Entries
    I think a scalloped border would look great on this quilt and using a darker fabric that is already in the quilt is a good idea. Love your quilt, it's beautiful.

lbc
    My sister-in-law just made a quilt that she appliqued scallops on a regular border and it turned out really nice.

I did a scalloped border and thought it was easier than trying to miter the corners! I have since gotten better on the miters, but stll love to do the scallops.

Here' a picture of my quilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your quilt is absolutely beautiful, wish i could help you with the scallops haven't done them myself

Here is the picture of an antique quilt I have that was done in 1936. Although it is not a typical scalloped edge, I think it is beautiful.

Entire quilt
    Name:  Attachment-178991.jpe
Views: 113
Size:  72.5 KB

scalloped edge
    Name:  Attachment-179046.jpe
Views: 168
Size:  47.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by twinkie
    Here is the picture of an antique quilt I have that was done in 1936. Although it is not a typical scalloped edge, I think it is beautiful.
    What an adorable quilt. Must have been for a very good little girl :lol:

JAS

Quote Originally Posted by mimom
    if so would you do them again and do you have any advise or tricks that you learned. I cant seem to figure out what to do with this quilts borders so why not try scallops most everything else in this was something new to try.
    Your quilt is lovely and I do agree a scallped border would look lovely...I have done a double wedding ring and the border was in scallops but not sure you would want that large of size...I thought what have I got myself into , but they really look better than a straight edge would had...I cut my binding on the bias and had no problem at all..also a prairie points for a border would look very nice... JAS

if so would you do them again and do you have any advise or tricks that you learned. I cant seem to figure out what to do with this quilts borders so why not try scallops most everything else in this was something new to try.
    Do you mean little scallops or big scallops?

Little scallops are just lots of circles, jar top pattern, two pieces right sides together, draw the circles, sew all around the lines. cut roughly out leaving a seam edge. cut exactly in half, turn, and sew them to the quilt edges like you do prarie points.

Big scallops are a border, cut using plates or platters as patterns. Got to use bias binding though, and pleat the inside bends neatly and blindstitch them closed.

Hope this gives you some ideas?

Do you mean little scallops or big scallops?

Little scallops are just lots of circles, jar top pattern, two pieces right sides together, draw the circles, sew all around the lines. cut roughly out leaving a seam edge. cut exactly in half, turn, and sew them to the quilt edges like you do prarie points.

Big scallops are a border, cut using plates or platters as patterns. Got to use bias binding though, and pleat the inside bends neatly and blindstitch them closed.

Hope this gives you some ideas?

OH dear, sent two! What am I doing wrong? sorry!

OH dear, sent two! What am I doing wrong? sorry!

There is way that I did a long time ago and it is a facing. The jest of it is to make a facing the same size as your front quilt border. You would mark the scallops on the facing fabric, lay on quilt TOP. Stitch on the marked scallop lines--trim with pinking scissors-turn facing to back of quilt and then you hand stitch the straight edge of the facing fabric to your quilt.

This method will give your a clean edge and you could quilt 1/4" from the outside edge of the scallops if desired. That will give you the look of a binding.

If you give this a try on a sample quilt sandwich you can get how it would look. It gives the quilt an elegant look, I did this on a Christmas wall hanging and really like the look of it.

Do a Google search for 'facing a quilt' and you will find information there.

Blog Entries
    A dark gold scalloped border would look great! What a beautiful quilt. Love it.

Blog Entries
    No matter what border you do, this is a beautiful quilt. I love the appliqued flowers, especially the iris.... I want to do that one for sure! I hope it turns out just like you want it. Good luck and happy stitching.

I would suggest putting a wide, chocolate brown border on the outside of your quilt, separated by a smaller, inner frame. This will give you a smooth surface to scallop and bind.Recently, Eddie, one of our members, posted the method he uses for scallops and there are a number of tutes.Try Sewing With Nancy and Missouri Star Quilt Company on You Tube. Most people use dinner plates to get the curves. I also have a scallop and prairie point rule as I like gadgets.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast