Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone used Superior's Vanish Extra thread in a longarm? >

Has anyone used Superior's Vanish Extra thread in a longarm?

Has anyone used Superior's Vanish Extra thread in a longarm?

Old 05-11-2017, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

Default Has anyone used Superior's Vanish Extra thread in a longarm?

I'm planning to use it to baste a quilt. Want to try stabilizing the quilt on the longarm before I do the actual quilting. Also plan to use it to baste a quilt I intend to hand quilt.

What I am wondering about is using it as both the top thread and bobbin thread. I see on the Superior website that they recommend using Vanish Lite in the bobbin. While I'm sure that more of it will fit on the bobbin than the heavier weight water-soluble thread, I hate to spend so much money if I don't have to.

My machine is a Voyager 17. I'm hoping I can get the tensions loose enough to not break the thread.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:37 AM

I don't know, but am hoping when you figure it out, you'll let us know!
Old 05-11-2017, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

I haven't tried this yet but I did buy a cone. My plan was to use it for trapunto so I was intending to only use it in the top and regular thread in the bobbin. By the time I get done with the backfill the bobbin thread would pretty much not go anywhere anyways.

I would go ahead and try it in both. I see no reason it wouldn't work.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:52 AM
Power Poster

Thanks. The cone should get here next week. I will try it out in both top and bobbin and post here about how it works for me.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:33 PM

I have used it to baste and secure quilts before I longarm whatever design I am going to quilt. Once I have basted in several places both across and down the quilt, I roll the quilt and continue basting leaving the approximately the last row unbasted. I then can roll the basted quilt (back, quilt top and the batting) sandwich back onto the the top bar (on my frame it is the backing bar).

I put the vanish thread on the top and in the bobbin. Don't have to worry to much about the tension.
The beauty is that it is disappears when you wash the quilt, Love it!!
Old 05-13-2017, 03:04 AM

So would this be true for the invisible nylon type threads? That would be a great way to do some "thread painting" without constantly changing the color. Also, when you're not really proficient at it and want it to not show really.
Still struggling with that gosh darn iris quilt.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post

What I am wondering about is using it as both the top thread and bobbin thread. I see on the Superior website that they recommend using Vanish Lite in the bobbin. While I'm sure that more of it will fit on the bobbin than the heavier weight water-soluble thread, I hate to spend so much money if I don't have to.
Do you need to use the Vanish thread in the bottom also? After the top thread is washed away wouldn't the bottom threads come right out of the stitching? ( I'm not sure but just pondering your question).

In two recent sewing classes our instructors said to wind nylon or stretchy threads "slowly" on bobbin winders for the best results.

I have used pre-wound embroidery bobbins as bottom thread on some projects also. It's a finer thread and works well. That might help. Good luck!
Old 05-13-2017, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by sval View Post
So would this be true for the invisible nylon type threads? That would be a great way to do some "thread painting" without constantly changing the color. Also, when you're not really proficient at it and want it to not show really.
Still struggling with that gosh darn iris quilt.
For thread painting you want the threads to show and add a layer of dimension to the project so invisible thread isn't the right product. (IMHO). Of course, you can use it if that is the look you want so it really depends on your preference.

Have your seen this quilt with thread painting? See how the colors enhance the design?

http://4and6designs.com/full-bloom/
Old 05-13-2017, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
For thread painting you want the threads to show and add a layer of dimension to the project so invisible thread isn't the right product. (IMHO). Of course, you can use it if that is the look you want so it really depends on your preference.

Have your seen this quilt with thread painting? See how the colors enhance the design?

http://4and6designs.com/full-bloom/
That is beautiful. I just don't think I"m capable of doing that.