Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: this ? has been discussed before, but, I would like opinons and place to buy

Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    I love the sandpaper dots. They work great!
    I think the dots work better than the "slippage film" Having use of 1 arm, cutting fabric has been a problem to overcome. I use the sandpaper dots AND a weight to hold the ruler. I cut the cord off an old iron (the older ones were heavier) and put it atop the ruler.

Banned
    I use the rougher side of velcro dots and they work like a dream. No slipping and they tend to be cheaper than some of the other alternatives I've seen at my LQS.

The sandpaper dots just didn'twork for me. Just left a residue when they came off. My best trick is to just walk my hand up the ruler as I cut.

Blog Entries
    I glued a few one-inch squares of the plastic waffle-type shelf covering on my ruler. It works well for me. Cheap too.

Blog Entries
    I bought sandpaper dots at the hardware store and love them.

I have used both the sandpaper dots and the clear plastic ones and i just didn't like them--made the ruler wobbly, and would grab onto the fabric when i was tryto move the ruler a little bit- now i have discovered Invisagrip and totally love it! Everyone in my bee uses it, also.

I made my own sand-paper dots, at the local HD or L's they sell sticky back sand paper for there sanders--I chose a low grit. I used stripes first to see if they would work...great next used dots (from a single hole punch) The dots dont take up so much room as the lines, but lines hold the fabric better... and at 2bucks a sheet, u can make as many as u need, just dont let the man see u do it... it drives them nuts, when u tamper with there stuff. (heehehehe)
    tall2

I use the Rule Steady which is much easier on my left wrist. It really "does what it says on the tin" It's made in Australia but available both in UK and USA.

Blog Entries
    I have the sandpaper dots, they work really well!

Blog Entries
    I have used the sandpaper dots, but on my larger rulers (6 1/2 x 24) which I use to cut long strips/borders, it still slips! I guess I don't have enough on-but there were so many other suggestions here, I think I will buy Invisigrip at Joann's with a coupon. Don't know why I never thought of looking for someting else! The dots are fine on the smaller rulers. I have had them on for years and none have fallen off.

I have Invisigrip and I like it. I did two 6 x 24 rulers plus some of my smaller ones, and I still have some left over.

I like the sandpaper dots. Seem to work good for me, but that's all I've ever tried.

Banned

me too; but I also use the plastic dots when I don't want the fabric view obstructed; the plastic ones are not flat like the sandpaper, however.
    And I dislike the plastic sheet stuff (Invisgrip I think) - doesn't work for me

I LIKE THE ROUND,PLASTIC OR RUBBER TYPE. THEY DO NOT SLIP. THE SAND PAPER DO NOT WORK FOR ME.

sandpaper...buy at Joann's

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hobo2000
    I apply the clear Cling Glad wrap on all of my rulers. On the small templates and rulers I use static cling you can get at any sign shop. You can see clearly and it doesn't raise the ruler off the fabric in places.
    Brilliant! :thumbup:

ditto

I got the plastic sheets that friction stick to the back of your ruler. I think that stuff is the best of all. It has made my cutting way more accurate.

I've just been walking my hand up the ruler as I cut but that puts alot of pressure on your hand. I'm making a resolution here and now to get one of these aides to put on my rulers. Sounds like it's about a tie between sandpaper dots and Invisigrip on what works best. :lol:

A dab of rubber cement will work in a pinch, but I prefer the sandpaper ones.

I use plastic. buy four inches of the "bolt" at JoAnns. Cheap and works like a dream

Blog Entries
    I have some smaller plastic templates and I just got out my handy-dandy glue gun and put a little dot of glue on each corner. It doesn't take much and........it works for me. Be sure to get it smooth. If you don't get it the way you like it the first time it picks off and you try it again.

I use the static tape. You can't see it, but you can take it off and put it on anything. Its great on rulers and on the big squares too.

The sandpaper dots are great!

Steady Betty strips on JoAnns.com, last time I looked they were on sale for $1.79! Lots of strips and you use only a 1/4 inch pc on each ruler corner.:)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast