Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Has your LQS stopped cutting fat quarters?

What is a lenear quarter? Connecting threads has FQ & lenear quarters. What is the difference?

Thanks!!

My LQS will cut me a one inch strip if I want. They told me they will cut any size I want. That's good business as far as I'm concerned. They are willing to work with me. Large places that are on the internet usually have a minimum cut. I like to order a yard no matter how much I need.

You need to come on over to Knights Quilt Shop in cape neddick Maine. We are one of the top quilt shops in the country and all of Canada. We will cut fat Quarters of everything but sale fabric.

Hope to see ;you soon

Deb

Quote Originally Posted by sleepykid
    You need to come on over to Knights Quilt Shop in cape neddick Maine. We are one of the top quilt shops in the country and all of Canada. We will cut fat Quarters of everything but sale fabric.

Hope to see ;you soon

Deb
    We stopped there on our tour of New England. It is REALLY nice!

I haven't had trouble with that...but I admit I usually buy a 1/2 yard and figure I'll use the rest of it if I don't find out already cut. I find the quilt stores often charge a bit more for the fat quarter..

You live in a beautiful area. I did the usual leaf peeper trail to New England one year and was thrilled with the quilt shops as well as the gorgeous scenery.

My LQS has FQ Friday once a month and all FQs are $1.50. And, they will cut any you want. Even better, 9/2 was my birthday and their policy is that for one week before and one week after, you get % equal to half of your age. They even allow it on FQs. So, since I am 61 (only time it pays to be older), I get 30.5% off the FQs so yesterday they only cost me about $1.05 each. It was a fun day.

Power Poster
    We don't have a problem here.

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Gal
    What is a lenear quarter? Connecting threads has FQ & lenear quarters. What is the difference?

Thanks!!
    A regular fat quarter is 18 X 22, I think. A lenear quarter is 1/4 a yard or 9"
    If I'm wrong, someone correct me!

I love this quilting board and all the information..... This isn't about quilting but have tried other ways to find the recipe....Maybe someone here can help me...I am looking for the recipe from the EXPRESS REDI SET GO cookbook......The recipe is for Cathy's Almost Instant Pizza Dough....The page in my recipe book is missing.... Would appreciate anyone who can help....Thanks

Last time I ordered a quarter yard, the cutter in the LQS asked if I'd prefer a "long quarter" or a fat quarter. No trouble at all, she said.

Quote Originally Posted by garysgal
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana Gal

Thanks!!
    A regular fat quarter is 18 X 22, I think. A lenear quarter is 1/4 a yard or 9"
    If I'm wrong, someone correct me!
    I meant to say it would be 9" X 45'' (or the width of the fabric)

We have one in the area (haven't visited ALL the shop int he StL metro area) that precuts only 1/2yds (didn't ask if she'd cut a FQ). While on vacation a week ago I visited 4 shops in northern WI (Green Bay region) and 1 of them did not have FQs, only 1/2 yds, and 2 of the other 3 only had small selection of FQs.

I like doing the FQ patterns like Yellow Brick Road, wickedly easy, etc.. If I like a fabric I often buy a 1/2 yd for about $4.50 rather than a FQ for $2.75 or $3.

I don't like fat quarters. It is more practical and economical to buy 20cm strips so I would not be too worried about it.

Quote Originally Posted by katherine p
    I love this quilting board and all the information..... This isn't about quilting but have tried other ways to find the recipe....Maybe someone here can help me...I am looking for the recipe from the EXPRESS REDI SET GO cookbook......The recipe is for Cathy's Almost Instant Pizza Dough....The page in my recipe book is missing.... Would appreciate anyone who can help....Thanks
    I found it at Amazon.com. I located an old Bisquick papeerback cookback that 'd used into oblivion. Hope this is the one! http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...book&x=15&y=24

Quote Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
    I have never asked if they cut fat quarters but they have a whole wall of fat quarters with almost every fabric in the shop so they probably do.

I don't like buying them there though because they are 3.00 a fat quarter and that comes to 12.00 a yard when most of the fabric in that shop is 9.99-10.99 a yard.
    But if I need something and only a little I have picked up maybe 2 fat quarters from them.

I love connecting threads because they cut in fat quarters that way I don't have to order a quarter yard
    I never like buying fat quarters because as you say you are paying more for Fat Quarters I prefer to buy 1/2 or 1 meter pieces. I am in Australia and the fabric is dearer and I am a pensioner so cannot afford to pay higher prices.

My LQS will cut whatever I want. They are GREAT! We were all talking as one was cutting the other day and she actually cut my 2.5" strips for my thangles (I needed 3 strips)!! I laughed and said, "Can I just bring back my other material and have you cut the rest of my strips?" They have cut just a 2.5" strip for me.

The shop near me has lots of fat quarters of the latest always cut. They are more expensive but I buy to get more variety of new fabrics. They give you one if you buy twelve, so you pay for eleven.

My LQS has lots of fat quarters and they will cut down to 10cm strips if I need them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2