Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Has your LQS stopped cutting fat quarters?

I live near Keepsake Quilting in Centre Harbor, NH. While I love visiting this quilting mecca at the drop of a hat, it really bugs me that they won't cut fat quarters any more. Is this a trend?

I have one store near me that won't cut less than 1/2 yard. They're mainly a sewing machine dealership, though. The 'real' LQS near me will cut fat quarters.

Everyone near me cuts them. Probably a time thingey

Blog Entries
    I have never asked if they cut fat quarters but they have a whole wall of fat quarters with almost every fabric in the shop so they probably do.

I dont like buying them there though cus they are 3.00 a fat quarter and that comes to 12.00 a yard when most of the fabric in that shop is 9.99-10.99 a yard.
    But if I need something and only a little I have picked up maybe 2 fat quarters from them.

I love connecting threads because they cut in fat quarters that way I dont have to order a quarter yard

I have one LQS that never ever had Fat Quarters,... a dissapointment. Another LQS will not cut on request a FQ. They only use ends of bolts for FQ.
    I'm not sure why this trend away from FQ is starting, since so many patterns are geared toward fat quarters. Plus I always end up increasing my purchase with a few FQ's.

the LQS here cuts FQs and fat 1/8's - along with a standard 1/4 yard or 1/8 a yard.

they are now starting to cut custom jelly rolls for people.

That's interesting, given that they sell fat quarters from their catalog.

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
    the LQS here cuts FQs and fat 1/8's - along with a standard 1/4 yard or 1/8 a yard.

they are now starting to cut custom jelly rolls for people.
    Same here.

The LQS near me has lots of fat quarters already cut for everything in the store and has them in little cubbies right above the bolts. If there are none left they will cut them for you unless they're busy having a big sale... then they will cut half yards or more because it's too time consuming to convert the inventory from yardage to FQs since they have a different price. They only have one cash register/computer so it would tie up everybody in line waiting to check out.

Thanks Janelle for your explanation of why custom cut FQ's may be a problem for the shop's inventory control. That makes a lot of sense.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Aren't we lucky to have knowledgeable folks to pop in with reasons & explanations! Way to go Jeanelle! (Thanks!)

My Lqs never cut fat quarters, she would cut anything from the bolt straight quarters,but never fat quarters already precut or make a fat. She said she doesn't have the room for them and it wastes alot from the bolt. She is only cutting yds, for vending at the quilt shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie S.
    I live near Keepsake Quilting in Centre Harbor, NH. While I love visiting this quilting mecca at the drop of a hat, it really bugs me that they won't cut fat quarters any more. Is this a trend?
    Do you mean they won't cut them "on demand" while you wait? I think that's probably quite normal, or at least it is for all the other shops in NH that I go to. KQ does sell them at the store so they obviously still cut them at their own time.

Blog Entries
    I've never asked for a custom cut fat quarter. I usually just get 1/2 yard. I love scrappy quilts and don't have a lot of small scraps so it gives me more fabric for future projects on my list.

Senior Member quilter on the eastern edge's Avatar
    My LQS will cut me a fat quarter if they don't already have one cut and in stock. The least amount they will cut is 0.10 of a metre (about 4 inches).

At my LQS I was told that they will cut down to a 2 and 1/2 in strip wof but thney dont cut fat quarters on demand

My LQS offers to cut fat quarters from any bolt of fabric.

I rarely buy FQ's at my LQS. They charge $A6 - $A8 EACH! I now but on line from the US.

Well, then I'd just ask for a third of a yard. The price will be very close to what you'd pay for a fat quarter there and you'll end up with a little more fabric, as well. I read once that Alex Anderson always buys 1/3 rather than a fat.
    I'd prefer for a fat quarter to be cut ahead of time rather than on the spot anyway since there might be more chance for a mistake when cutting. (Not to mention that if I were the cutter, I'd prefer not to be watched). But that's just me!
    A lot of times, fat quarters are cut from the end of the bolt not from 'fresh, new' bolts - depending on the shop's policy.
    lots2do

Don't know about a trend...I do know that buying FQs are much more expensive than cutting it yourself. Once I figured out (what a math genius I am, lol) the FQs are so much more expensive, I know buy at a minimum 1/2 yard.

Blog Entries
    My LQS actually makes fat quarters to sell and has baskets full of them in the store. She also will cut a quarter yard piece if I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by charmpacksplus
    The LQS near me has lots of fat quarters already cut for everything in the store and has them in little cubbies right above the bolts. If there are none left they will cut them for you unless they're busy having a big sale... then they will cut half yards or more because it's too time consuming to convert the inventory from yardage to FQs since they have a different price. They only have one cash register/computer so it would tie up everybody in line waiting to check out.
    Plus, they're left with a fat quarter that may or may not be sold, and that's money out of their pocket.

Some do, some don't. Some will only cut them the long way--what's that called? I can't remember, but it's an eighth of a yard of fabric and unless you're cutting strips, it's pretty useless. I just find one that will cut it the way I want. I really don't get why they won't cut them though, it works to their benefit. If they cut one, they've cut two and can sell the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by catrancher
    Some do, some don't. Some will only cut them the long way--what's that called? I can't remember, but it's an eighth of a yard of fabric and unless you're cutting strips, it's pretty useless. I just find one that will cut it the way I want. I really don't get why they won't cut them though, it works to their benefit. If they cut one, they've cut two and can sell the other one.
    Most of the quilt shops I've seen do a bundled fat quarter pack of fabrics that coordinate. If they have to have a stack of random fat quarters onhand, they could get stuck with them. How about when you only need a 5" square, or enough for an eyeball. Should they cut that, too?

All the shops around here will cut fats on demand but won't cut less than a quarter yard (no 1/8s etc).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast