Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has your stash grown? >

Has your stash grown?

Has your stash grown?

Old 02-22-2016, 09:31 PM
Power Poster

The stash always gets bigger. I sells fabrics in my Etsy shop, so I have to keep buying new things. I do use some of that in my charity quilting, too.

I make loads of quilts, but one reason my stash does not reduce is that people keep giving me scraps and mostly strips to use in charity quilting. I love scrappy quilts, so I tend to make from those scrap strips and not touch my yardage. I need a few extra arms to get some of the older stash worked through!

As for organization, I will go through it all and get it organized and then just proceed to mess it up again. Bringing in new stuff always messes up the organization... but I can't resist!

This is a fun thread, Louise.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:39 PM

I have decided I need to get rid of most of my fabric, patterns, and tools. I will never be able to use 1% of what I have in the time I have left on this earth. I don't feel as though I'm getting much better at any phase of the process. I think I will try to have a quilter's garage sale this spring.

Leslie
Old 02-23-2016, 06:14 AM

Mine stays about the same - at least in volume. I have a shelf unit that contains most of my fabric - except a few small drawers of large backing cuts. I do not like to feel overwhelmed with "stuff", so tend to keep it under control.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:38 AM

Mine has grown and is so out of control that I really don't know what I have stashed away. I am in the process of downsizing and have gifted quite a bit of fabric to a couple of friends who want to give quilting a go. I am trying not to buy any new but I am weak.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:51 AM

My stash has grown only by the scraps and fabrics I got from the gals I quilt with. I did set up a sewing room in a very small bedroom. My fabric is in clear plastic tubs. A lot of fabric I bought I bought coordinating fabrics together. I have some blenders. I need to sort the blenders out and then by color. I decided to leave the coordinated fabrics together. Even though the room is small, I am hoping to be able to set up an ironing board and cutting table. Right now I iron downstairs in my Mom's quilting room and cut there too. My machine is on a six foot folding table and a cutting mat is on the other half of the table for quick cuts. I long for sewing furniture, sturdy furniture, that machine can sit in flush with the top of the table. Ahhh, dreams.....someday.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:58 AM

I thought when I retired from my full time job 2 years ago, my days of buying whatever caught my eye was over. I put myself on a tiny sewing budget. I decided to use what I had and make scrap quilts. Then a friend and I started going to estate sales, she was looking for vintage machines. We have been blessed to find quite a few sales with huge amounts of fabric. Late last fall we went to a local sale of a craft store owner. From what we were told, when she closed her store, she brought all the inventory home. There wasn't a room in the house that didn't have something craft related in it. We went to the sale the first day and bought a few things and then went back the final day when things were marked down to 50% off. I did go off my budget, but for $100, I figured I ended up with at least $2000 worth of fabric. So I have to say my stash exploded and except for backings, I won't need anything for years.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

As my oldest son has collected comic books for 42 years, I also use comic boards as they are acid free. They also make Comic Book Boxes that fit the boards (with about a 1/2" clearance on each side) and are about 2' 4" long. I find that by putting like colors or solids in a box it works out well for me.

Originally Posted by Quilty-Louise View Post
WOW looking back at my OLD posts and came across this thread
that I started back in 2011.

Fabric Stash

Now my question in 2016 is has your stash grown, reduced, or
stayed the same?

Is it more organized than it was back than? or a bigger mess?
How many quilts have you made with what is in your stash?

To answer my own questions:
My stash has grown out of control in the last 5 years. To the
point that I am trying to downsize the amount I have. My bin
count is at about 55-65 bins that are 58qt size, not counting
all the other misc. sizes. Oh and than there is all the fabric I
have folded onto bolts.

The ONLY fabric I do not plan to downsize the amounts of are
my white tone on tone, and a few others that I have selected
for special projects.

It is LESS organized right now, but I AM in the process of trying
to fix that problem with the aid of my new shelves, and comic
boards.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:32 AM

I don't think I was quilting back in 2011 - and when I started, I set a "goal" to have about 10 years' worth of fabric when I retire. I'm about half way there and still 10 years from retirement. Been thinking that I probably have enough at this point, so need to switch to maintaining instead of acquiring. Probably 3/4 of my stash is from garage/estate or clearance sales.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

I do better when I can see the fabric, so I don't store it in plastic tubs. I have smaller cuts wound on comic book boards and stacked like books on a bookshelf. I have larger pieces (bigger than 1 yard) ruler folded and stacked like bolts without the center cardboard (or flat-fold bolts). They all need to be in a bookshelf or somewhere I can see them. Plastic tubs are too much 'out of sight, out of mind' for me.

I do have my little scrap cuts in stacked drawers, clearly marked as to what they are: 2" strips, 2.5" squares, etc. I end up working with those the most-- more than my yardages.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:48 AM

I made several scraps baby quilts, but my scraps heap is still out of control, I threw away all scraps less than 2 inches. I am working on my Baltimore quilt, I am planning to give away a few of my panels or a lot. I am NOT buying any fabric "just because" anymore, only what's needed.