Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has your taste in fabric changed over the years? >

Has your taste in fabric changed over the years?

Has your taste in fabric changed over the years?

Old 07-02-2011, 05:08 AM

I have only been collecting fabric for a couple years now. I was buying 1930's like crazy and now I want retro and farm fabrics. LOL! I will probably keep most everything because like fashion, it will come back in "style" and I will want it again. LOL!!!
Old 07-02-2011, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by CAJAMK
I have been collecting fabric for years and I have found it has changed. I used to love calicos & country types of fabric. Now I find myself liking solids, batiks, etc.
I still plan to keep some of the older stuff but get rid of alot. How about you?
I did the exact same thing. When I first started quilting, I thought everyone made quilts with calico. Boy did I have a lot to learn. My friend ended up wiith all the calico. When I called her to come get it I told her she had to take everything including the tote it was in. She thought she went to heaven.. :)
Old 07-02-2011, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

You just described me also. The only fabrics I have that I never get tired of are Jinny Beyer. I have some from the 90's
that I still use. But I've completely changed over the years. It's so much fun!! :)
Old 07-02-2011, 07:24 AM

My taste seems to change with the seasons. LOL I have gone through many phases. Purples are always a favorite but looking at my stash, I also apparently like pinks and greens. My latest fad has certainly been paisleys. Wow, I can't get enough.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:05 AM

Its not so much my taste that has changed but rather what kind of fabrics I buy now. The fabrics I have now I would have found attractive when I started quilting, but would probably have not bought because I would be afraid to use them. I started off using a lot of true solids.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:14 AM
Power Poster

I too find myself liking batiks and brights. So I save the "old" fabrics or ones I am not into and make charity quilts. There is always a need, and all kinds of fabrics will work! :)
Old 07-02-2011, 10:09 AM

[quote=feline fanatic]Most definitely. Like the others, when I first started I loved calico's and country colors. Now batiks take center stage in my stash and I am in an Asian phase now.
----------------------------------------------
Me too. In fact, I'm getting tired of my clothing styles, and found a book with some simple patterns indirectly from the 1960/70s designer Charles Blackburn, with no darts or gathers. Easy styles that fall from the shoulders like the 1930s styles did. Since my own figure has changed over the years, these might be just the thing for me.

And the inevitable left over scraps will be lovely in doll quilts and crazy quilts and wall hangings.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:11 AM

Years? LOL
more like daily/weekly...
i often refer to the "what was i thinking?" phrase......
Old 07-02-2011, 02:59 PM

Have they ever? I find myself buying 30's prints and feedsack prints like crazy. And only 12 yrs ago I was cleaning those actual fabrics from my parents house (they died 4 mos apart) and trying to find someone to take it.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Most definitely. Like the others, when I first started I loved calico's and country colors. Now batiks take center stage in my stash and I am in an Asian phase now. I still have some of my old calicos but I got rid of a lot. I kept a few that I thought would look good in scrappy quilts or that I had enough coordinating fabric to go with for a project.
My thoughts exactly.