Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How has technology changed your...... >

How has technology changed your......

How has technology changed your......

Old 02-27-2016, 12:04 PM

Default How has technology changed your......

sewing or quilting? On the blog received from Nancy Zeiman today, this question was asked. My first thought was that I know so little about new technologies that I haven't changed that much, but on reading some of the thoughts there, I realize I have truly learned a few things over the last few years. My first was that I made my first quilt using templates and scissors. Then I was hooked, so I bought a rotary cutter and a cutting mat. Oh, and there were the rulers which seem to be reproducing in my sewing room. Then I learned to "google" for things about quilting and one day, stumbled on the Quilting Board. What a discovery that was!! Along the way I had to learn how to navigate on this machine called the computer. My children and board members have often guided me to do more and more. And there is still much, much more for me to learn. If only I could learn to store all of these patterns that I have been printing out and placing in binders!! Watching tutorials has become one of my forms of entertainment. I've even taken a couple of Craftsy classes. My daughter gifted me with a Kindle on which I have read lots of quilting series and mysteries. I know some of you have the really sophisticated machines and "toys" but I am so content with what I have so far. Well, it's back to the sewing room to tackle one of these UFOs or piles of stash. What can I say? How have you grown?

Last edited by GailG; 02-27-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:12 PM

Oops! Forgot to give the link: http://www.nancyzeiman.com/blog/quil...wing-quilting/
I hope this works.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GailG View Post
Oops! Forgot to give the link: http://www.nancyzeiman.com/blog/quil...wing-quilting/
I hope this works.
i get an invalid page when clicking this. perhaps one has to be signed up to read the page?
Old 02-27-2016, 12:23 PM

Thank you QuiltnNan. I'm sorry about this. I had the same problem and I'm signed up. When the link came up on the QB, the whole thing didn't print. Don't know if that makes a difference. I tried editing and it wouldn't post. As I said, there are a lot of things (A LOT) that I don't know. Even though, this is a good question for us to think about. Some of you are so much more advanced and are so valuable to those of us who are still learning.

Oh, my face is so RED. I just noticed that her name is spelled Zieman. Wonder if that makes a difference...
http://www.nancyzieman.com/blog/quil...wing-quilting/
My last try.

Last edited by GailG; 02-27-2016 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:30 PM
Power Poster

funny you should mention templates... i was clearing out a drawer the other day and found my original templates from 1973 made from milk cartons. modern rulers/templates sure make life easier!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]543605[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20160227-templates-1973.jpg  
Old 02-27-2016, 12:35 PM
Power Poster

I began quilting before there were cutting mats, rulers and rotary cutters. That was one huge giant step for quilting.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:43 PM

Wow! QuiltnNan! Those were so much better than the cardboard template I made! Yes, we have come a long way. I first started using a rotary cutter and mat in 1998. Have only cut myself twice -- once pretty bad slice. First one was a slight one from picking up the cutter on the blade end....really dumb move.

BTW, the last link (with her name spelled correctly) worked.
Old 02-27-2016, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I began quilting before there were cutting mats, rulers and rotary cutters.
Me too. I particularly remember a quilt that I made that first required cutting hundreds of 2" squares with a pair of scissors.....Have I mentioned lately how much I love my 60mm rotary cutter and my 6" x 24" ruler???

Rob
Old 02-27-2016, 04:46 PM
Power Poster

Technology makes quilting more fun. EQ7, printing, die cut machines, instant access to about any quilt picture you want online, two day shipping to get anything you want for quilting, Pinterest, and quilt how to on video 24/7. Quilting the old fashioned way doesn't sound so fun.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:24 PM

Technology has enriched my life by enabling me to connect with fellow quilters all over the world. I have a whole new set of friends, some of whom I've met in person and become quite close to. I could not imagine what my life would be like without these fiber sisters.