Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has your vision of quilts changed? >

Has your vision of quilts changed?

Has your vision of quilts changed?

Old 02-13-2024, 03:25 AM

My vision is definitely changing....
I learned to quilt in 2009 with Kaye and Eleanor on YouTube and Alex on The Quilt Show.
I loved all and every quilting pattern and technique.....and the many UFO's and PHD's can attest to how hard I tried to learn and also to make them all.
But those same UFO's et al, defined my "talents" ... I can't handle too small scraps due to nerve damage in my hands, so all those intricate and beautiful patterns with thousands of small pieces are beyond my abilities.
I have now settled into sewing "giant" quilts with huge blocks....the bonus is that I fly through my stash!😁🤩🤩🤩
Old 02-13-2024, 03:52 AM

Default Simpler is Better for me now, too!

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
Several years in, I am thinking simple is better. I just make quilts for beds and couch throws so I am looking for something that can be washed in a machine and thrown in the dryer and feels soft and cuddly..
I agree with sewingpup that over the years, I go for the simpler patterns now. As a new quilter in 2009, I would make quilt patterns where 1 block took a whole month with lots of piecing and so many fabrics to complete it. The size quilts have also changed for me. I started with making queen size quilts. Now I like throw size and baby size quilts. I am looking forward to trying my first 3 yard quilt pattern this year, which are throw sized. Also, since I learned to free-motion quilt over the years, I choose patterns that have more open space so I can have fun with quilting designs.

Last edited by copycat; 02-13-2024 at 03:54 AM.
Old 02-13-2024, 05:07 AM

I'm not sure that my vision has changed. I haven't made any traditional quilts. Mine are usually an experiment from an idea.( I wonder if...) I have, however, discovered scrappy quilts. Now I save my scraps, but still having trouble with storage/organization of them. I must admit that I did not save them in the past.
Old 02-13-2024, 05:41 AM

Interesting question! Still love all quilts, truly enjoy working with scraps (the more, the merrier!) not particularly fond of making "modern" designs, love traditional scrap quilts. It's taken me forty years to to define that much of a vision.
Old 02-14-2024, 07:55 AM

Oh yes, my tastes have changed. In my beginning days, I liked traditional repeating patterns. Quick and easy was perfect. Most of the time now I have a tendency to go for more complicated patterns. I also used to enjoy putting the fabrics together. I realized just a few days ago. Precuts are my choice. I enjoy the complete line of fabrics.
Old 02-14-2024, 07:59 AM

When I started quilting a big part of my "belief system" was that quilts should be for "using up" fabric and so I have ended up with a couple of examples of why just putting anything (whether it's fabric content or colour or other variables) into a quilt isn't always a great idea. Although it might still be functional (and one is currently in the back seat of my car as a dog blanket), it's certainly not something one would want to have to look at for long!

I have since made a quilt or two from a single collection or just a couple of fabrics and from this I have learned that I still prefer more variety in my quilts. I think I would say I fall solidly into the "controlled scrappy" camp. There has to be some element that ties everything together - mostly it's a colour palette but sometimes it's going to be a repeated block or a single fabric that shows up regularly as a background or featured in a block.

My blocks today are also a bit more advanced - I did a lot of squares to begin with - 9P, trip around the world, etc. Now I do triangles, too! LOL! Such progress!
Old 02-14-2024, 10:34 AM

When I started quilting, anything and everything entranced me. I wished I could get a sense of myself as a quilter. Eventually, this did happen. While I still enjoy looking at all kinds of quilts, I'm no longer drawn to working with modern fabrics or patterns. It's the complex, busy reproduction fabrics that fascinate me, and that I want to make quilts with. The smaller the pieces, the more pleasure I find in working with them (within reason -- I'm perfectly happy with a 6" block, and don't yet feel drawn to make 4" blocks). Since I have trouble lifting a heavy quilt, I gravitate to lap and nap size, which work fine on a bed for supplemental warmth.
Old 02-15-2024, 04:55 PM

My style of quilting hasn’t changed that much — still won’t deal with small pieces - but my taste in fabric has. I’ve gone through phases — started using mostly flower prints. Anyone remember the collection of flowers of the year? I think it was a northcott line — different flower release every month and I bought everyone of them! Just found some of the carnations. Then I moved onto to batiks…then 30s….Kaffe fabrics. Too many phases to remember at this point. My choice of patterns changed with the fabrics I liked.
Old 02-16-2024, 04:51 AM

I'm evolving backward, lol. I started off loving tiny bits and lots of stars. Made several Bonnie Hunter quilts, and learned a lot along the way. Warm, cozy, muted colors were my favorite.

Now, I like simpler patterns - bigger pieces, less points - and my palette has changed to brighter, happier colors.
Old 02-17-2024, 05:31 AM

I started out liking traditional patterns and Civil War and 1930's fabrics. And I still do lean that way. What has changed is me. I have moved beyond simple blocks to enjoying the challenge of more detailed blocks. I now can see the secondary patterns and have lost most of the intimidation factors of some of the intricate traditional patterns. I love to look at the "modern" style quilts but I don't enjoy making them myself. Much like any creative endeavor, we all have our likes, dislikes, yearnings and styles. Isn't that wonderful! It feeds our eyes and our hearts.

What a good starting question to get us all thinking. Thanks, Judy.