Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has your vision of quilts changed? >

Has your vision of quilts changed?

Has your vision of quilts changed?

Old 02-17-2024, 06:26 AM

I guess I am still from the old school. I started by cutting up fabric my mother had as she did a lot of sewing. Now that is all changed with different rulers, rotary cutters, etc. I used lots of patterns but also as I made so many blocks, I became comfortable with making up my own patterns from the different blocks I learned. Kind of like cooking - once you have made different dishes, you become more comfortable with creating new dishes.
Old 02-18-2024, 05:22 AM

I just had to find a pic of one of my first quilts. Literally, I cut squares and stitched them back together! Now, I don't want a quick pattern, but rather more complicated patterns. And, I avoid triangles, but love curves! And, I have always been picky about my fabric stash. Many of my quilt ideas are driven by the fabric. That is why I avoid fabric sharing-type activities.
Attached Thumbnails before-pic.jpg  

Last edited by aashley333; 02-18-2024 at 05:25 AM.
Old 02-18-2024, 04:32 PM

Ashley .. it did get you started and what a fun fabric to choose I noticed you did flip fish direction Great job
Judy in Phx AZ
Old 02-19-2024, 07:22 AM

Definitely evolving...I started out very traditional and have graduated to more art quilts than bed quilts.

Watson
Old 02-19-2024, 07:59 AM

I learned to quilt so I could apply it to wearable art in the 90s. Now I've dropped wearable art and make art quilts, a change I'm happy with!
Old 02-20-2024, 12:44 PM

My love of traditional blocks has stayed with me through my life as hand quilting has done too. I've had periods where I've was making modern or geometric designs but have always circled back to the traditional patterns. I'm not sure if I love quilting more than I like having beautiful fabrics to use and quilt just so I can buy more fabric to feed my soul. It is no longer "I love this," I don't like that" in my vocabulary. It's more "I'd like to own this fabric," or "I wouldn't use that fabric yet." I think quilting is a very personal endeavor and our personalities are displayed in what we choose to make. As I've gotten older, I don't pay attention to the "rules." It is more fun to just do what I want!