Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hate My Quilt >

Hate My Quilt

Hate My Quilt

Old 07-01-2011, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Glassquilt
You can do it. Set the kitchen timer and walk away when it goes off. Then you can do something enjoyable (like cleaning the kitty litter box) You'll be done before you know it.

Just think. You won't have to live with it when it's done.
Something enjoyable like cleaning the kitty litter box??? LMAO!! I never heard it put quite like that. Love it. And,to think I believed by term for it was good --- to me, they're 'treasure boxes', and I go on a quest for buried treasure a few times a week!! Thanks for the laugh!!!
Old 07-01-2011, 04:18 AM

Keep telling yourself its for MY BROTHER, and he will love it. LOL Like the others have said ,just work on it a few minutes a day, and you will get it finished. Be sure to put on the label " Made with a LOT of LOVE"
Old 07-01-2011, 04:23 AM
Power Poster

Been there. Keep going it might grow on you.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:36 AM

That is exactly why I don't participate in challenges or block of the month etc. I hate spending time on something I don't enjoy.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:46 AM

I just finished a verry large quilt for daughter
and it took me forever!!! I was soooo bored with
it, but, to get it done I told myself that I could
not start any new quilts until this one is done.
That seemed to work for me.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:20 AM

I just finished a quilt requested by my grandson. It had a lot of camoflage (sp?) fabric in it. Really a dull quilt and as I was sewing I kept praying that there are no more wars by the time he is 18, he is 12 now, as he would sign up as soon as he turned 18. Well, he was so delighted and I got the biggest hug and the most beautiful smile. But, whenever I see that quilt at his house I still hate it.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by stephaniequeen
I just started a new quilt...which I wasn't crazy about to begin with...it is for a man. I usually make quilts for children, however my DB hinted I should make something more masculine so off I went to the fabric store and bought plaids and darker fabric. He picked out the pattern and so I started piecing. I've only made 4 blocks and already I am feeling discouraged. I know I have to finish it for the sake of my DB, but I dread every minute I work on it. Has this happened to anyone (dreading the quilt your working on) and do you have any words of encouragement?? :-( :-( :-(
Could you possible use more sashing and bigger boarders to get finished quicker?

As you said, focusing on your brother rather than the quilt may be the way to go.
Think of it as a learning experience.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:32 AM
nab

I think that is why I do not want to make quilts for people who have the need or want to pick out their own fabric. My quilting time is too valuable to spend making something I do not want to make or like. I will take suggestions from family, but if they are too picky, they do not get one. As a matter of fact, I have never asked any of them what they want. If they want one of my quilts they take what I make. None of them are made with a price attached. I only make what I want to give away. I have found that if I make things to sell, it becomes a job and I already have a job. I do quilting for pleasure.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:53 AM

I once traded fabric with 23 other ladies. We each supplied 2 of 2 different pieces a certain size and then exchanged them at a luncheon. Shortly after, we met for a weekend quilting retreat and started making a quilt, all using the same pattern. I had brown fabric with turqoise polka dots, orange fabric, blue, burgundy, etc. etc. Amazingly, none of the fabrics duplicated. I hated the quilt the whole time I was putting it together, but was determined to finish it. Today, it is one of my very favorite quilts. Keep at it. If you're giving it away, you won't have to look at it long and you, too, may fall in love with it in the end.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:53 AM

Look upon it as a challenge to your skills. And remember how happy your DB will be when he receives it. I made a t-shirt quilt for someone two years ago and hated every minute of it. It was DULL! I worked hard to make it interesting and the person who received it was amazed, as well as happy. It went way beyond her expectation. It was worth the aggrevation to make her happy, but I live in fear she'll ask me to make another t-shirt quilt for her other child!