Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have to ask >

Have to ask

Have to ask

Old 09-23-2011, 04:08 AM

Hey Pataskala, I am in Marion and I found my 301 at a garage sale for $20.00. It was an estate sale. It came with the cabinet, the matching stool, and all the accessories. I found my 99 at a Flea Market in North Carolina for $44.00. You may have to clean them up a bit and they all need OIL/lubricant when you get them because they have probably been neglected for some time. But they are out there and when you see one, the light just glows around them and you hear music (just joking on that part). My husband is also getting really good at spotting them (rolls his eyes when I say, YES! we are taking it) and is really good at helping me with some of the re-wiring of a pedal or waxing the wood. I just love my older ones (I do have 2 modern ones) but for the piecing of the quilts, the older ones purr when they sew.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:09 AM

Other than the FWs, I've noticed in photos of old machines, from the 20s there abouts, they have wonderfully long harps.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:33 AM

Reliability!!!! :P :P :P
Good 'ole fashioned, straight and true sewing!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
If it needs a fix or tweak - you can almost ALWAYS do it yourself (no expensive trips to the repair shops :evil: :evil: :evil: ).

Plus, the sound of a vintage machine purring brings peace to the soul!!!
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 09-23-2011, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by athomenow
Maybe I'll inherit both! Then find out how to fix the Singer.
Check the tutorials on here. Lostn51 has some great ones up that help us get machines cleaned up and ready to use. I like the fact that I do not have to pay $100 when things aren't going right, but can fix it myself. My DH has even begun to learn the process!
Old 09-23-2011, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by orangeroom
I, too, was wondering the answer to this. As I feel a little guilty for having two machines. I am only one person. I can't sew on two machines at one time.
Your argument sounds like my DH! But then I ask him about his fishing rods. You see, one is a fly rod, one for deep sea fishing, one for the lake - you get my drift. The treadle is for when the power goes out. The featherweights, for class and to give to my daughters. The vintage viking - wouldn't give that up... My DH bought it for me Valentine's day after we got married and it has all the fancy stitches I need. And the old Singer 206 sews heavyweight fabric like a dream.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:58 AM

Years ago when my mother in law past away in a car accident my father in law gave me a brand new feather weight sewing machine as no one wanted it. It was never taken out of the box by anyone. Well one of my sister's in law after changing her mind she made a big stink about it and had to give it to her. Guess what....she never sewed on it either and she sold it!!!
Old 09-23-2011, 05:23 AM

I prefer the newer machines personally.
I would never buy an 'old' machine.
They just don't compare to sewing on a computerized machine.
But we all have our personal prefference. :-D
Old 09-23-2011, 06:26 AM

They one thing - straight stitch - but they do it REALLY well! You can hardly beat an old machine for dead on accuracy.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:34 AM
Banned

they are like the old Timex watches...take a licking and keep on ticking...anything that you can service yourself is a GEM...machine repair people are now highly skilled trained Computer geeks, NOT the good old repair people we grew up with. Each machine company trains repair people on THAT brand machine and if a shop is a dealer, say Bernina, then that repair person can ONLY work on that brand of machine..so the rest are left with NO repair person!

Get an old reliable back up and see for yourself!
Old 09-23-2011, 06:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by quiltmom04
They one thing - straight stitch - but they do it REALLY well! You can hardly beat an old machine for dead on accuracy.
not true...I have several vintage machines that do amazing FMQ(called darning back in the day) and many have multiple stitches!