Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have to ask >

Have to ask

Have to ask

Old 09-23-2011, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947
The are kind of like a classic car. Love the oldies but goodies. I have 2 old singers. They are simple, all metal, straight stitch. easy to maintain, quiet and I could go on. I also have one new model with bells and whistles but the old singers are my go to machine for most project.
Completely a personal preference!:)
Cheaper than a classic car?? (usually)
Old 09-23-2011, 08:07 AM

In my opinion, I love 'em because they don't break . They can get in trouble but they are all metal and because of that they can be repaired. I didn't know how till I joined here and found a tutorial on how to do it. It tells ya how to clean it and repair it. Anything not found on the tutorial can be found at a dealers. Any way, I followed the tut and the advise of the friends on this board and will have it up and runnin in no time. Thanks to all the help I got . :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 09-23-2011, 08:49 AM

I have 2 and hope to be acquiring the 3rd and final one for my collection. I prefer vintage machines for 2 reasons.

Firstly, sentimental. I inherited my mom's FW. I've never used her before and I inherited her before I started quilting. She needs a new bobbin case, but is otherwise in perfect condition. I hope to have granddaughters someday that would like to have it.

Secondly, it's economical. I am married and while hubby works FT, I only work PT. We have 3 young children, 2 with various abilities; so we don't have a lot of extra money or a way to save or anything. When I realized I couldn't quilt on my DSM because of it's TINY throat area, I started searching for a machine to accommodate FMQ or straight line quilting on a king size quilt.

Janome has a new one and the dealer here was willing to sell it to me for a grand. Babylock has a newer edition of their professional quilter and with a throat plate of the size I needed (at least a 9" x 6"), their cost was 1500.00. All the dealers around talked about their new machines and their computerized stuff. I am about as computer dumb as they come and I couldn't see spending 2 months rent on a machine. Hubby quickly shot down the idea too. I had given up entirely on my search for a large throat machine when I went into my machine shop to set up my Janome for her annual maintenance. I met my "new" machine there. I bought her with 2 boxes of accessories and a nice, original manual for $200.00. She is a 1954 Singer 66. Her throat measurements are 9 1/2" x 6, just a shade bigger than the new fangled machines.

She's a work horse and she goes FAST! I've already quilted a few tiny ones on her. I really love her and she is my go to machine for straight line quilting. She doesn't FMQ as good as I thought she would, but after a TON of research in the VMS we have on the board, I realized I'm going to need a 15 for FMQ. So, someday I'll have the FW up and running for piecing, my 66 for straight line quilting and the 15 for FMQ. All black beauties, all metal with no plastic or computers to damage. I don't have to be worried about my kids ruining a machine that's over a grand by spilling water or otherwise being themselves.

sorry to write a book.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by athomenow
I'm rather new to quilting although I have sewn at the beginner to intermediate level for the kids and grandkids. I have two machines but I need to know what the attraction is for the really old machines. Everyone seems so excited when they get these machines and I just have to know why?? What is it they do that others (newer ones) won't? Thanks for indulging me.
I agree with all the things people have said about metal parts, simple mechanism, straight stitch, et.al.; however, all those things can be said for Model T Fords and Model A Fords. I might love to own one of those old cars, but when I drive, I want a 2012 Lincoln. Of course, I can't afford to buy either of the old Fords or the Lincoln, so I drive a Ford Freestyle, just like I use a Janome 4800 for most sewing projects. It has lots of different stitches, can be lifted without a winch, and is super reliable. froggyintexas
Old 09-23-2011, 08:55 AM

And also, I have both my mom's and MIL's FW's plus another given to me by a dear friend. I just feel so good when I'm using one of them! Knowing such special ladies loved these before me urges me to keep creating.
Originally Posted by Lacelady
And in the case of Featherweights, small, lightweight, and just incredibly CUTE
Old 09-23-2011, 09:13 AM

When I was teaching my grandson to quilt, to start out with he used my newer machine & he wanted to try my old Singer. Once trying the old Singer, he wouldn't go back to my newer machine. He said the older one was much easier to use & sewed better with the thicker layers.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:15 AM

A very quality straight stitch and can fix them yourself. computerized machines are nice until they don't work if they can be repaired it can be tied up for a month most times in my area.

Good Luck

Suzy
Old 09-23-2011, 11:25 AM

Yes, I know what you are talking about...question the idea of antique sewing machines. Never sewn on one but I find the computerized modern ones wonderful. Please explain.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:27 AM

These old cast iron Singers are real workhorses and that is why we love them. They sew a really good 1/4 seam for quilting and plow through all kinds of fabrics. My Bernina has a special bobbin and special needles and has to be cleaned every 6 bobbins. The Singers just go on and on, very solid and dependable sewing machines. My DH can work on these and have them humming like new if I break a needle in it or something. Not so my Bernina, it would mess up the electronics. They are just good machines, what can I say ?
Old 09-23-2011, 12:04 PM

They purr like kittens.. They feel so gentle while sewing.. I have a Singer 66, and 99. Love both.
Barri