Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have I painted myself into a corner here? >

Have I painted myself into a corner here?

Have I painted myself into a corner here?

Old 08-15-2012, 09:47 AM
Power Poster

You could split the backing fabric and add the border fabrics as strips - if you place them way off center, then it will look like a design element and you would not need to worry about matching anything -
Attached Thumbnails strips.jpg  
Old 08-15-2012, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Sarah in Brooklyn View Post
I'm making a baby quilt but as I went I decided to make it bigger, so I added two borders to the front, and it looks great. But I may have gone wrong when I decided to stick with the backing fabric I'd bought and add the same borders. The center of the top is patchwork and I figure I'll quilt that with SITD and maybe some straight lines. But how can I quilt the borders without making the back look weird? I guess I'll have to try to line them up - they should be pretty much the same size - and come up with something really simple that will work if the edges are slightly off? I hope I'm describing this so you all can picture my dilemma - I'd love any tips and suggestions from you wise people.

I'd not worry about the back. Perhaps do a wide zigzag on the front borders which would look good on the back too.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Sarah in Brooklyn View Post
Jingle, what is FMQ?

FMQ = Free Motion Quilting (done with a sewing machine).
Old 08-15-2012, 02:31 PM

Oh! good idea!!
Old 08-16-2012, 04:55 AM

Why not try the serpentine stitching? All you have to do is choose a serpentine stitch or decorative stitch from your machine and sew a grid pattern on your quilt. It doesn't have to be stitch in the ditch - just sew evenly across and up and down your quilt. Nice looks can be achieved.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
If you haven't sewn the borders on the backing yet, consider a different piecing arrangement for the backing to save you the agony of lining things up.

Dayle

My thoughts exactly, I am thinking you can use the border colors you want for the back down the center of the back and make it a strip backing, this means you will need to cut the backing piece down the center back, but this will work. This way you do not have to match the two border sections, and will still have the color on the back. If you don't want a center seam in the back, put the border section midway between the edge and the center on both sides in the back. There are so many ways you can do things, don't give up, just change up. lol. Anxious to see your finished quilt. Have fun!!
Old 08-16-2012, 05:43 AM

To help me achieve straight lines, either in a square grid or diagonally in a diamond pattern, I have had great luck using painters tape. It doesn't leave a residue and is reusable from line to line. I just stitch close to the tape (or use your presser foot edge) on each side and replace for the next two stitching lines. Hope this helps achieve that perfect look with just a simple pattern. You can use the serpentine stitch rather than the straight stitch and make it decorative too. Here's one I did recently.[ATTACH=CONFIG]355870[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]355871[/ATTACH] I pieced the back too, to add extra width and length. It didn't come out perfectly, but I was pleased.
Attached Thumbnails j-cs-baby-quilt-front.jpg   j-cs-baby-quilt-back.jpg  
Old 08-16-2012, 06:16 AM

Love this!!!! Very Smart!!

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
You could split the backing fabric and add the border fabrics as strips - if you place them way off center, then it will look like a design element and you would not need to worry about matching anything -
Old 08-16-2012, 06:45 AM

I really like bearisgray's idea of off-setting the borders on the back. The way I do FMQ "free-motion quiltling" is just running around with my needle drawing loops, going clockwise and counterclockwise. Sometimes I make little loops inside big ones.
And I found a site, I forgot where already, just a few days ago that gave a glossary of these acronyms. There were two pages of them! I wish they weren't used so much; they are very confusing until you really get to know them. There are a few that we use all the time, like WOF, RST. These even beginning sewers need to know, but how are they going to learn them?
Old 08-16-2012, 07:26 AM

Free Motion Quilting