Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have  oneyou ever "farmed out" your quilt piecing? >

Have oneyou ever "farmed out" your quilt piecing?

Have oneyou ever "farmed out" your quilt piecing?

Old 06-30-2011, 05:52 PM

I learned to handquilt before I learned to piece. So I knew how to FINISH the quilts, but I didn't know much about making the top. I met a quilter online who didn't like to finish her quilts, but loved to piece. We set up an agreement whereby she made my tops and I handquilted her quilts for her.

For the first couple years that I "quilted" this was how all my quilts were made. Since then I've learned how to piece and now piece me own tops.

I don't think having someone else piece your top for you is "copping out". How is this different than someone piecing a top and sending it out to a LA'er to be quilted?
Old 06-30-2011, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I like your choices of fabrics - and the applique work is lovely.

Have you done some "practice piecing"?

If you can guide your machine that nicely on the applique work, I would think you could learn to guide your machine on seam lines.

However, if you would rather NOT do that, it makes as much sense to have someone else piece it as to have someone else quilt it.

If I understood the narrative in one of Kaffe Fasset's books - he did the designing and someone else did all the piecing.
Yes, I have pieced several, but I don't enjoy it, and I am the first to admit I'm not good at it. My seams are uneven and my corners are bunched. . . . I just don't like to do it. I even hand-bind my quilts.

The applique is hand applique, not machine. I would much rather do hand work than machine. I love to hand quilt and my favorite thing to do is whole-cloth quilts, or quilts with large expanses of plain fabric that I can decorate with quilting.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:00 PM

[quote=CherylseaHave you thought of adding plain white squares to the 8 applique - this would give you a canvas for your "intricate hand-quilting" and help balance out the size of your quilt. [/quote]

Brilliant! I knew I joined this board for a reason, and that someone would know exactly what to do.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:03 PM

If you want someone else to do it, that is your choice
Old 06-30-2011, 06:10 PM
Power Poster

That is hand applique? Your stitches are so wonderfully even!
Awesome!
Old 06-30-2011, 06:52 PM
Power Poster

If you set your applique blocks on point, 8 is the perfect number with either alternate white or coloured squares. If you don't want to do the piecing, I think finding someone to do it for you would be great. A well constructed top will make your beautiful hand quilting shine. A family heirloom in the making!
Old 06-30-2011, 07:25 PM

I have a good friend who is a longarmer. I can't afford her services, so I trade piecing tops for her quilting. It works for us. I'm a good pieces, and she's a wonderful quilter. It all works out. I also quilt on my quilting frame/machine, but for special pieces I like her to do it. She's much better than me!! :thumbup:
Old 06-30-2011, 09:07 PM

Beautiful appliqué. There are no rules so if you want to farm it out, that is up to you. As far as the setting, if you put the blocks on point then three rows takes the 8 blocks.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:09 PM

I see Tartan types faster than me, same idea.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by KyKat
Originally Posted by bearisgray
I like your choices of fabrics - and the applique work is lovely.

Have you done some "practice piecing"?

If you can guide your machine that nicely on the applique work, I would think you could learn to guide your machine on seam lines.

However, if you would rather NOT do that, it makes as much sense to have someone else piece it as to have someone else quilt it.

If I understood the narrative in one of Kaffe Fasset's books - he did the designing and someone else did all the piecing.
Yes, I have pieced several, but I don't enjoy it, and I am the first to admit I'm not good at it. My seams are uneven and my corners are bunched. . . . I just don't like to do it. I even hand-bind my quilts.

The applique is hand applique, not machine. I would much rather do hand work than machine. I love to hand quilt and my favorite thing to do is whole-cloth quilts, or quilts with large expanses of plain fabric that I can decorate with quilting.
And looking at your avatar you are a very very good hand quilter! Send it out and get to the fun stuff!!