Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you cut a Storm at Sea using an AccuQuilt? >

Have you cut a Storm at Sea using an AccuQuilt?

Have you cut a Storm at Sea using an AccuQuilt?

Old 07-08-2014, 03:57 PM

Default Have you cut a Storm at Sea using an AccuQuilt?

First, I've been wondering if it is possible to cut a Storm at Sea using AccuQuilt dies? I am very surprised that they don't seem to have a die set for this. I am still trying to work on the size of the block that I want.

I have the Quilt in a Day Storm at Sea pattern and rulers even but I don't like how large the block size is (I think it is around 16 inches). I would really like to make it smaller (say 12 inches) but it just doesn't seem like there are cutting directions for this size (the free blocks all use a printed paper template and I don't want to do that).

Anyone?
Old 07-08-2014, 04:04 PM

They do - it's a free pattern download. Uses, I think, the triangle in a square.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

I haven't, but there is a free downloadable Storm at Sea pattern that uses Go! dies. Here is the link:
http://www.quiltviews.com/free-accuq...at-sea-pattern

It says all of the pieces can be cut with Accuquilt dies. If you scroll down the pattern a bit, it lists all of the Go! dies you would need.

The finished block size is 12".

Last edited by Prism99; 07-08-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:07 PM

Sorry - not currently a free pattern. http://www.accuquilt.com/go-storm-at...t-pattern.html

You can see which dies you would need, and probably figure the pattern out easily enough. Fabric requirements would be a guess, though.

Do you have an Accuquilt account? No cost, you don't have to buy anything from them, but they will send you e-mails of specials, discounts, free patterns, etc.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:11 PM
Power Poster

The pattern is free from the AQS website I posted.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:11 PM

When I made mine I used the Wendy Mathson trimplates. It makes an 8" or 9" block and they are very accurate. I have also seen regular templates on ebay that make 12" blocks, but I haven't looked in a long time. I hope you get your quilt made - SAS is my favorite pattern and I'm looking forward to your pics.

Darren
Old 07-08-2014, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I haven't, but there is a free downloadable Storm at Sea pattern that uses Go! dies. Here is the link:
http://www.quiltviews.com/free-accuq...at-sea-pattern

It says all of the pieces can be cut with Accuquilt dies. If you scroll down the pattern a bit, it lists all of the Go! dies you would need.

The finished block size is 12".

Thank you, Thank you!!!! That was the very quilt I was admiring a while ago on Pinterest and then again it was featured behind the AccuQuilt people in a Youtube video. I googled Accuquilt storm at sea many different ways and never could come up with this site.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:17 PM

I do have to say that it seems like the QuiltViews free pattern is written in a rather inefficient manner. Wouldn't the corner blocks be a square in a square? Why do they have it broken down as 4 HST? Is there something I am missing?

Also, the directions for the GO dies doesn't indicate a die for piece B (essentially gives you rotary cutting directions) but the directions indicate that the entire block an be cut with Accuquilt? I love this quilt and have a real love for rainbow designs like this so it is definitely on my must make list.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:03 PM

The designer of the free pattern from quiltview offers both rotary or die cutting instructions. It is a rather briefly written pattern, but it's free, so...

I do have the SaS pattern from when Accuquilt offerd it as a free download (2011). One of the benefits of a mmbership is that pattens you buy (including those that you "buy" when they are offered free) are linked to your account, so you can open them at any time, although the free ones do have a limited number of downloads.

The Accuquilt pattern uses the same dies. If you look in the blue box on page 60 from the free pattern linked above, you will see a note that the "B" unit is constructed of 2 pieces that were die cut with the Go!:
• B – For each B triangle cut 2 D triangles then join on the short sides (fig. 1)
• C – GO! Half Square – 3" Finished Triangle (55009)
• D – GO! Half Square – 1½" Finished Triangle (55319)

Perhaps when the pattern was written, the sizes that would seem to be more efficient had not yet been made?
There is an Accuquilt yahoo group; I am going to post a question for folks who might have used the pattern to see which method they used.

Last edited by peaceandjoy; 07-08-2014 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria View Post
First, I've been wondering if it is possible to cut a Storm at Sea using AccuQuilt dies? I am very surprised that they don't seem to have a die set for this. I am still trying to work on the size of the block that I want.

I have the Quilt in a Day Storm at Sea pattern and rulers even but I don't like how large the block size is (I think it is around 16 inches). I would really like to make it smaller (say 12 inches) but it just doesn't seem like there are cutting directions for this size (the free blocks all use a printed paper template and I don't want to do that).

Anyone?
A storm at sea has several different pieces. I've drawn up my own. But I don't see any reason not to use paper templates and then transfer them to heavy plastic or even some light weight metal.