Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever bought a full bolt? >

Have you ever bought a full bolt?

Have you ever bought a full bolt?

Old 06-20-2010, 06:27 AM

Where's that georgeous face!!?
Old 06-20-2010, 06:58 AM

My husband and I were coming back from Florida and I wanted to stop at Foust textiles in Kings Mountain NC. It's a big wharehouse (I could go crazy in there) bolts and bolts of fabric and all kinds of sewing stuff.I bought a bolt of 110" wide for backing.bought thread and quilt kits that were cut out and in packages.LOVE that place. Only trouble I don't get to go there much.
You can go there on line , but I really don't know if they sell to individuals. I have a small business and when I call them they ask for name of business. But if you know someone maybe you could use their business name. Only bad thing you do have to buy the whole bolt. But it's good prices.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:05 AM

The only one I've ever bought is a bolt of Warm and Natural. It was on sale for 50% off so I thought it was worth my while to have some on hand.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:21 AM

Thank you so much for those web sites. I will explore the possibilities. Linda
Old 06-20-2010, 08:58 AM

Does anyone know of a good online source here in Canada to buy Kona cotton....I would love to buy by the bolt but don't know if I should buy here or in the US.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:02 AM

Kona also has PDF fabric...do you think this would be OK to use just the way it comes for piecing...I don't want to dye anything right now..would it absorb colour from other fabrics even though they are colourfast?
Old 06-20-2010, 09:21 AM

I'm keeping my eye out for a tone on tone white or maybe even a Kona cotton white bolt as I want to do a cathedral window in white with black and red. I've been told I'll need around 10-13 yards, so I figure I might as well buy the bolt. But, I've not researched it much.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:01 AM

I buy full bolts of muslin, stabilizer and fusible fleece. BUT, there are no guarantees your bolt will be perfect throughout. That's the good thing about having the fabric cut, you can view both sides before cutting to be sure you're not getting any flaws that will affect your project.

If you ever get a bad bolt of anything, notify the manufacturer. I bought 3 bolts of fusible fleece made by Pellon, it's a little pricey but high quality and JoAnns sells it so I can use a coupon.

Well, I'm unfolding a bolt and get about 1/3 of the way through it and it's cut!! Not good if it's a quilting project, fortunately it wasn't so it didn't really cause me a problem. Got another couple yards into it and suddenly it's burnt - I mean like it caught fire on the roller or something, black soot, big burn holes, crinkly ashy stuff goin' on everywhere.

I took pictures, emailed Pellon (couldn't send the pictures on their customer service email but told them I had them if they wanted to see them), they replied quickly and sent me a HUGE bolt of the stuff for free.

So never think you're stuck, if the manufacturer is a quality one, they will make good on their product.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:01 AM

I bought a full bolt of Heat 'n Bond (not sure of the name--fusing medium) because I do a lot of applique. Can't remember where I got it but I think it might have been Joann's online. It was much cheaper than buying it in the little packages or even buying it by the yard. Now I'll never run out--at least I don't think I will.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:45 AM

Batting and muslin. Absolutely. Then when I'm snowed in - I have no excuse! 50% off - put me in coach.