Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever bought a quilt kit?

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Or other project kit?

Were you glad that you did?

And did you actually use the kit? Or did it just join your stash?

I like kits. For no other reason then someone else has put together the different fabrics. The one thing is, cutting on my part has to be accurate and does not allow for my silly mistakes. That part, well, is where I can have a problem.

Blog Entries
    I actually just ordered a kit and anxious to get it. I am not to good with colors yet so thought maybe this would be a good way to start.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Yes!! Never thought I would but Connecting Threads had one I just had to get! I'm having fun working on it right now.
    I also bought another one that was on clearance so that makes 2 for me :D

Most of my quilts are made from kits. You can get many fabrics from a line, but not buy as much yardge. Sometimes you have to avoid stripes or plaids because they are cut crooked. I usuall do my own cutting.

Blog Entries
    I've rarely had good luck with embroidery/cross stitch types of kits, so was reluctant to buy a quilt kit. I always ran out of the thread provided and had to try to match... when I bought my first quilt kit, a wallhanging...it came short on one of the fabrics. The store immediately made it right and I enjoyed the kit. When I bought someone else's stash, it had several kits in it, and I enjoy those too. Will I buy another kit? Yes...there are times when I just want to sew without having to think about the colors I choose...they're already chosen for me. :)

Block of the month is a different story....I won't purchase those just because of the expense involved!

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    Or other project kit? Yes a couple.

Were you glad that you did? Yes Jenney Byers I loved the colors.

And did you actually use the kit? Or did it just join your stash?
    One done 3 in process of being done.

The first time, I bought a quilt kit from Joann's. It was all the way in the beginning when I learned to quilt. There were so many pieces of fabrics that were too short that I still haven't finnished the kit.

The second time it was more a stack of fabric to make this nice pink and green strip style quilt. I bought it at a major quilter's convention from a beautiful booth that had the quilt displayed on the wall. All the fabrics in the booth where quilter's quality as where the ones used in the quilt. I asked if the bundle could be opened up but they would not let me. I asked if it was all quilter's quality and they said, "Yes!" Well you can guess it. Some looked like craft fabric cheese cloth and went straight into the trash. Never mind the number of pieces that were too short. It has been years but I have never bought anything at that booth any more and neither have my friends. Arghhhh!!!

My best experience has been with kits that came directly from the manufacture with the exception of the Joann's bought kit mentioned above. The same with stacks of fat quarters.

I bought one small wall hanging quilt called Funky Gecko (applique). Fabrics were excellent, more than enough, and as depicted in the picture. Was happy with it, and would buy one again. Not so sure about buying a large quilt kit unless it is one put together by my LQS who has fantastic products and makes good on their promises.

My first quilt was a block of the month kit. Now I design my own in EQ.

I think the problem here was you bought it from Joann's. I have had awesome luck with kits purchased from Fat Quarter Shop. I like that I don't have to pick the colors. I'm one of those people who sees something on the wall or in a book and says yea, I want to do that one right there....give me that one. LOL.

I have purchased a few of McKenna Ryan's, and done one block of the month at a quilt store.
    I do prefer to purchase my own fabric, as I just love picking out fabrics to go together. Lately, I try to limit my picking from my stash, and not from a store. LOL It is just displayed so much better at the store.

I've cut wrong on kits before and it's easy to get the right fabric if you buy a kit from your LQS that they put together. The one close to me will usually have a scrap bin where they toss the leftovers from kits. Depending on the size I need, it might be free or cost just a quarter.

I remember one time cutting wrong and could not find all the fabric I needed. But did find one of the fabrics and bought enough to make a large border so it looked intentional. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

I've bought several from my LQS that I have been very happy with, as well as a few from Keepsake quilting. I don't trust Joann's, so I've never purchased one there, and except for one kit from CT that didn't contain the required yardage according to the kit's instructions, the other CT kits I've ordered have been complete.

I love kits and have a number of them from Connecting Threads. I sew some of them right away and others I put away for a rainy day.

Blog Entries
    I like precut kits. I have bought two from John Flynn's site, love the laser cuts and the markings on his pieces :D:D:D

I have bought quite a few kits and have had good luck. I get most of them from online quilt stores, and have never been disappointed. A few times I have not liked a fabric they used and have replaced it. The major stores now sell a fat eighth kit to go with their BOM kits. It's a great way to be sure you have extra to cover mistakes!

No....never bought one.....don't think I ever will. I like picking both the pattern and the fabrics....don't like letting someone else get all the fun.

I have never bought a kit, i really enjoy picking my own colors out, of course if i found one with the colors i liked, then i would consider it, if it was from a local quilt store, that i was familiar with.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by judylg
    I like kits. For no other reason then someone else has put together the different fabrics. The one thing is, cutting on my part has to be accurate and does not allow for my silly mistakes. That part, well, is where I can have a problem.
    I love kits too for this same reason...I always check to see if they've given me the correct cuts. And I hate when they substitute a fabric...

I have bought Connecting Threads kits and have always been pleased with them. Sometimes you can find a great kit on closeout there at a wonderful price. Two of the kits I purchased are the same - winter print quilts. One is done for one grandson, the other is waiting to be cut out. I've also done a sunflower print quilt from another site and have a kit from that same site waiting to be cut out and sewn. Having some difficulties with that one since the pattern shows one colorway and the quilt kit is another. Will get back to it when I am very rested and ready to tackle it!

np3
    Blog Entries
    I love kits, especially when they are on sale. I don't have so much left over fabric that way. When I pick my own colors, I always buy too much. I will not do BOMs. The cost is way too high for what you get.

Dix
    Blog Entries
    I have had good luck with kits. I ordered a Boy Scout quilt from Quilters World magazine last year. Lot of good feeling fabric and plenty of it. I made it and sent a picture to the magazine and WooHoo! it was published in the current issue on pg. 7.

I am always looking for batik kits on sale. Since batiks are usually exspensive I consider them a deal. I have gotten several from Hancocks of Paducah and have been very pleased with the way they turned out. Someone gave me a kit from JoAnns and I thought some of the fabric was poor quality so that kit never got made.

I have to put in a good word for The Whimsical Workshop collection by Heidi Pridemore. I just completed one of their kits for a friend's birthday present. I had two issues with it - one was their mistake, the other was mine. In both cases, they replaced the fabric the next day and, with just one exception, there was plenty of fabric in the kit. Their communication was prompt and very friendly. The fabrics were perfect for my friend and were something I hadn't been able to find elsewhere.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast