Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever bought a quilt kit? >

Have you ever bought a quilt kit?

Have you ever bought a quilt kit?

Old 08-20-2010, 09:37 AM

I have bought Connecting Threads kits and have always been pleased with them. Sometimes you can find a great kit on closeout there at a wonderful price. Two of the kits I purchased are the same - winter print quilts. One is done for one grandson, the other is waiting to be cut out. I've also done a sunflower print quilt from another site and have a kit from that same site waiting to be cut out and sewn. Having some difficulties with that one since the pattern shows one colorway and the quilt kit is another. Will get back to it when I am very rested and ready to tackle it!
Old 08-20-2010, 09:43 AM
np3
Power Poster

I love kits, especially when they are on sale. I don't have so much left over fabric that way. When I pick my own colors, I always buy too much. I will not do BOMs. The cost is way too high for what you get.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:46 AM
Dix

I have had good luck with kits. I ordered a Boy Scout quilt from Quilters World magazine last year. Lot of good feeling fabric and plenty of it. I made it and sent a picture to the magazine and WooHoo! it was published in the current issue on pg. 7.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:48 AM

I am always looking for batik kits on sale. Since batiks are usually exspensive I consider them a deal. I have gotten several from Hancocks of Paducah and have been very pleased with the way they turned out. Someone gave me a kit from JoAnns and I thought some of the fabric was poor quality so that kit never got made.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:18 AM

I have to put in a good word for The Whimsical Workshop collection by Heidi Pridemore. I just completed one of their kits for a friend's birthday present. I had two issues with it - one was their mistake, the other was mine. In both cases, they replaced the fabric the next day and, with just one exception, there was plenty of fabric in the kit. Their communication was prompt and very friendly. The fabrics were perfect for my friend and were something I hadn't been able to find elsewhere.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:40 AM

I have made one quilt from a kit and I have another one ready to start. I loved the kit that I have already made.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:55 AM

I've made a kit from Connecting Threads that I was more than happy with. Great fabric, and lots of it.

I've done one of the BOMs from Joanns (an old one where I picked up the months on Clearance from various stores and on-line - couldn't pay current prices!). I'd been warned that sometimes they short you on pieces, so I bought two extra "setting" kits (at $1 each). Sure enough, I was missing two pieces and one piece had a "run" in the fabric. I was able to substitute from the setting kit and loved the finished project, but would have been extremely upset if I didn't have the extra fabrics to use. I don't really trust the Joanns ones and haven't tried any others from them.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:57 AM

I bought one with the intent to make & donate the quilt to an auction to raise money for a memorial in the name of a schoolmate of mine killed on 9/11. I still have the kit sitting untouched in my pile of 'to-do's
Old 08-20-2010, 11:04 AM

I didn't like kits until I became disabled. They're a godsend.

I've always made my own patterns in everything I do. Just because you have a kit doesn't mean you have to follow the instructions.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:22 PM

I have bought several kits, a small hanging with kimonos which I made,One was in a sale for Hawaii type quilt it is great, loads of fabric but I haven't started it yet, a couple I was very disappointed with and they were not worth the money, the fabric being very skimpy, I have though used one of the patterns with my own fabric.. I would suggest you only buy from well known companies. We on this side of the pond do not have anywhere near the choices that you do inAmerica