Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever bought a quilt kit?

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    LQS is usually just an abbreviation for "Local Quilt Shop".

I have & do buy kits. Lots of them. I love to buy from Bonnieblue. I order online & buy from them every year @ the Houston Quilt Show. I've also been pleased with Connecting Threads kits. Matter of fact, I have 5 in there to do now from there. Lost track of how many I have already done & given away over the years. Some call me a collector but they will all eventually get done. LOL I hope. LOL

Once in a great while I will but a kit from my LQS but mostly would rather pick my own colors and size. Especially childrens quilts they are usually too small for my liking and there is no way to make them larger.

I'm not sure if it was a gift from a quilting friend or a door prize at some event .... but ...

I have John Flynn die cut Winding Ways kit. Haven't even tried to do it as was disappointed that they had die into the seam allowances for the curves!

I am a sewer/quilter and DO NOT cut into seams.

When I make my Winding Ways from scratch I just plain cut out the temp-lates and sew. That always works for me.

I will buy some kits on sale at my LQS because I know if there is any problem they will help me with it.

ali

That's what got me back into quilting. I had done handquilting years ago, am now stuck at home in a wheelchair, and when I went to visit my sister Aug. 09, we went to her wonderful quilt store, and there was a quilt kit done up, it had all my colors, so I got it, and am now addicted to quilting...have to sew, cut, quilt, or just look at magazines..... What's housework, don't do much of that any more...no time, I'm to busy quilting.

Blog Entries
    I've had two kits since I've been quilting. One I bought from a great shop in KY that was at the Maine Quilt Show a few years ago and the other from EBay which was a kaleidscope set all cut up for me which went together very quickly. Neither had backing but I'm going to buy the kaleidscope type kit again because it's so beautiful and yes, they are actual quilts.

I have used kits to get my color confidence going. I was so disappointed in how my first quilts looked. My color choices where not that good. I have done 4 Jenny Beyer kits and have about 5 more from different vendors waiting for me to put together. Doing those kits really boosted my color confidence.

I have bought kits and they have worked out really well. I like to have a kit or two on hand in case I need to make a quilt in a hurry. Having all the fabrics plus the pattern together is a huge time saver for me. Last year I made a nice queen size quilt from a kit and gave it as a wedding gift. It came out very nice.
    I have to admit, I really have more than just 2 unmade kits on hand. More like 10 - 15. But I have convinced myself I will get them all made eventually.

I have good luck with kits, but I know my vendors - I get upset when the picture is one thing and what comes is something else - this occurs more with BOM kits -

RDM
    Blog Entries
    I have used kits and like some. Many have been "In The Beginning" kits which were great. Currently I have two complete Mckenna Ryan quilt kits to do and I like using their kits as ALL the numerous fabrics have been selected which is very time saving. Kits are also easy to add to the retreat project box.

I buy kits all the time from quilt shops. They live and die by their reputations. I would not buy a kit from Joann's. The quality is not there (lesser thread count in the fabric). I look over very carefully what I buy there. Some of Joann stuff is just fine, but not all. I also enjoy finding fabric myself for a particular quilt or I would prefer different colors than the kit.

I've ordered several kits. Mostly the patterns have been correct. They have always been generous so a slight mistake didn't have any major hassle.

I abought Jo Ann Fabric BOM quilt blocks and kit to finish it in 2006 and didn't start it till 3 years later and 2 kits are short blocks and I have lost interest and all that money I spent. So don't ever buy any Jo Ann quilts kits I had my register receipts but they said it was too late and would not honor it.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Quilter
    I have bought kits and they have worked out really well. I like to have a kit or two on hand in case I need to make a quilt in a hurry. Having all the fabrics plus the pattern together is a huge time saver for me. Last year I made a nice queen size quilt from a kit and gave it as a wedding gift. It came out very nice.
    I have to admit, I really have more than just 2 unmade kits on hand. More like 10 - 15. But I have convinced myself I will get them all made eventually.
    :D The last paragraph sounds like a lot of us! Just change the word "kit" for a million other things ha ha

Like everyone else, I've had mixed luck with quilt kits. Usually I buy them while on vacation in a location and I know I will not be back there (if ever)but I like the colors/prints.

While these kits are from the LQS in those areas, the fabrics are not always the greatest. So frequently, I've had to substitute with something similar from my LQS at home.

I finally have pretty much decided to get the patterns from those vacation locations, and get the materials from my home LQS. That way I have a backup plan in case I run out of material. If I do purchase material on vacation, it will tie with the pattern being purchased, and I can see the quality when I buy it.

A number of those vacation LQS have the material you can buy and the kits below them so you can see exactly what you are getting. That's my preferred method for now.

I haven't tried to reach these out-of-the-area stores when I've run short (as of yet), mostly because the areas visited are only open for part of the year. Example - cruising to Alaska - many of the ports of call quilt stores are only open during cruising season. Most of them do have websites now and that is how I am communicating when I need to ask questions about the kits.

Good board on this topic - hopefully some of the LQS will keep these points in mind.

Have not tried a kit yet. I like the challenge of picking the fabric and cutting it. Wait a minute the $5 quilt club at the LQS can be classified as a kit, but I liked the colors and that is why I joined the group.

i just noticed kits and saw one that i really liked , thinking about buying one

I have never purchased a quilt kit. Somehow, it's like painting by the numbers. I like selecting the fabric and changing some things around in the quilt-block arrangement. I like the challenge of figuring out details.

Power Poster
    I usually don't. I like to pick out my own fabric etc.

Dee
    I have never bought a kit. I have heard some short on fabric or piece missing.

I have bought several quilt kits and have been pleased with them. They have been the fabric and pattern, not precut block pieces. Some of them have been a little skimpy on fabric, others have been over generous.

Blog Entries
    I bought a kit from Jinny Beyer, and although it was somewhat expensive, it was fabulous! It took a while to put together, but I had it quilted, and donated it to a charity fund-raiser, and I honestly think it was the prettiest quilt I have ever done. I almost cried when I had to give it up.
    The nice thing about the quilt kits is that you don't have to run back to the fabric store because you still need 1/2 yard of that one material that you need to finish your quilt. :)

I agree, the cost of block-of-the-month seems to be out of line for what you get.

I've bought quilt kits for some of the same reasons that others have mentioned.... not so great at putting color together and it's a timesaver when I don't have to run all over to get the colors that I want.

My first attempts at putting together color combinations have left me less than thrilled with the final quilt. I match things too much and don't have the contrast to make the quilt "sing." So someone else's expertise helps me with color choices.

Also, I live an hour away from a quilt shop and am currently staying with my elderly mother so my time is limited for making shopping trips. It helps me bunches to have everything I need so that I don't have to wait until I can make a trip to the nearest LQS. So quilt kits bought on sale or at ebay have been a real find for me.

Can't believe the deals that some of you have found at thrift shops and estate sales. My best deals have been old quilts that I want to replicate one day...they're cheap but pretty worn.

I have bought several from the that I get on Shop Hop's. You know the fabric is good ....I've had fun with them.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast