Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: Have you ever bought a quilt kit?

I buy kits from real quilt shops, but never from Joanns! Kits are fun for charity quilts or a gift, always pick my own fabrics from my quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by rahaube
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiestitcher62
    I think the problem here was you bought it from Joann's. I have had awesome luck with kits purchased from Fat Quarter Shop. I like that I don't have to pick the colors. I'm one of those people who sees something on the wall or in a book and says yea, I want to do that one right there....give me that one. LOL.
    In defense of Joann's, I bought a quilt kit there last November and made it during the winter. The fabrics were top quality and there was plenty of every fabric to finish the quilt top and binding. I couldn't be happier with it. The price was reasonable and since I bought it the day after Thanksgiving I got it for 40% off the regular reasonable price.
    I have also bought a few small kits from Jo-Anns that I am quite happy with. At least you always get the fabric you were expecting ;-)

I have bought several kits. On a couple, I have been shorted fabric (17 by 22 FQ!!) or some of the fabric was so thin you could not use it. Ticks me off for the price you pay.

I mostly buy them when I see a quilt done in a colorway that I would have picked myself. My pet peeve is when the kit is in a package and once you open it, it is not exactly as the sample. If they are going to substitute, I can do that!

Another thing that irks me about kits is when they dont include the binding. Backing I can understand but if you finish the thing and then have to hunt for fabric to match for the binding, it's a hassle. I would just rather pay a few bucks more and have it all.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5