Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever bought a quilt kit?

I bought 2 kits of JoAnn's years ago and it was the worse experience I have every seen. I made the first one up and it looked so bad I didn't finish the rest of it. the second one is still waiting for me to throw it away. I have never bought a kit since then.

I think going to a local QS is a good way to go.. You can always go back if the fabric, etc does not turn out to be good.

Yes, but only if I absolutely couldn't resist the fabric and it's the only way to get it!

I just bought one from JoAnn's -BOM + setting package for about $65 for the whole quilt - Haven't started it yet so home it turns out okay. The colors are great. I did by a couple for England Design and had plenty of material and good color choices.

Blog Entries
    I've done a few kits, and always enjoyed them. They had everything I needed and worked just fine.. I especially like to buy a kit when it's something I don't have much of.. like Halloween fabric.. Then a kit is very nice to do!

The thing I don't like is that I almost always want to change something.. like add an extra row so that the quilt is rectanglar rather than a square... that gives me fits now and then... so I'm careful which kits I buy..

Mostly I make up my own stuff so don't bother with a kit, but I'm glad they are offered.

I've ordered tons of kits, mostly from ebay and really do enjoy doin them. They usually have them all cut out and sorted and I just have to put them together and finish the edges and backing and stuff. My quilt in my picture was a kit that I loved because of the colors.Hope you enjoy branching out a little. Enjoy

I too have done several kits and loved them - only done them because I saw something and loved it so much have also done a king size quilt BOM over the course of a year which turned out beautiful - never had any problems but yes you do have to be extra careful with the cutting!!

I haven't been disappointed with the ones I have bought - but have to agree we don't have the same choices over here- and whats with all the brilliant deals at the thrift shops - I assume they are like out charity shops!!
    Quote Originally Posted by loopywren
    I have bought several kits, a small hanging with kimonos which I made,One was in a sale for Hawaii type quilt it is great, loads of fabric but I haven't started it yet, a couple I was very disappointed with and they were not worth the money, the fabric being very skimpy, I have though used one of the patterns with my own fabric.. I would suggest you only buy from well known companies. We on this side of the pond do not have anywhere near the choices that you do inAmerica

nope never bought a kit, I like to pick my colors and buy on sale

I have purchased 2 kits now; I will not buy another. In each kit I have ran out of fabric, a certain kind, then I haven't been able to find the same fabric. So, as of this time, I am done! :thumbdown:

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    Or other project kit?

Were you glad that you did?

And did you actually use the kit? Or did it just join your stash?
    No. The only kits I've worked with are the kits that come with classes. It's a bummer when I goof or when they goof.

I have done a few kits. They are great, all the fabric is there directions are usually good, and I don't have to worry about too much. You do have to cut accurately, usually there is not much "wiggle room" with the fabric included.

I have purchased a couple of kits from quilt shops and on-line. Had good quality fabric and plenty of it.

I know Joann's has good prices, but really I have had the worst luck with quality and I will never buy fabric from them again. Do not be lured by their prices - buy your fabric from equilter or your local quilt shop.

I have about 60 quilt kits I have purchased over 5 year period and am very happy with all of them. The price was very reasonable and glad I did with prices going up and up!

I have never bought a kit. Even on sale they are outside my price range as a rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Nona
    I bought 2 kits of JoAnn's years ago and it was the worse experience I have every seen. I made the first one up and it looked so bad I didn't finish the rest of it. the second one is still waiting for me to throw it away. I have never bought a kit since then.
    OHhhhhh don't throw it away!! Surely someone here on the board can do something with it. That and the first one are probably salvagable in some way. We poor folks can't bear the thought of throwing fabrics away. It pains us, LOL. Hugs and smiles, Linda

Never. It wouldn't be "mine" if someone else put everything together. But.........whatever works for everyone........different strokes for............

Quote Originally Posted by Jamiestitcher62
    I think the problem here was you bought it from Joann's. I have had awesome luck with kits purchased from Fat Quarter Shop. I like that I don't have to pick the colors. I'm one of those people who sees something on the wall or in a book and says yea, I want to do that one right there....give me that one. LOL.
    In defense of Joann's, I bought a quilt kit there last November and made it during the winter. The fabrics were top quality and there was plenty of every fabric to finish the quilt top and binding. I couldn't be happier with it. The price was reasonable and since I bought it the day after Thanksgiving I got it for 40% off the regular reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by bob1414
    Never. It wouldn't be "mine" if someone else put everything together. But.........whatever workd for everyone........different strokes for............
    That's true, BUT it can be a learning experience for a beginner or for one who needs to train their eye to good color combinations, etc.

I have bought some from Keepsake Quilting and Kaffe Fassett. They were beautiful and plenty of quality fabric. They come in handy since I am handicapped and can't always go shopping as I live in the country. I wouldn't bother making one from Joanne's or discount place. Buy a couple and gave them away to beginners. The fabric just wasn't up to snuff. Also, I am doing the Civil War Tribute and the fabric is fine. I have seen the quilts on Blue Bamboo and they appear gorgeous. Will try them next.

I haven't bought any. I'm afraid I'll make a mistake and they won't have any of the fabric left.

I have purchased one quilt kit, from Keepsake Quilting and I had plenty of fabric of very good quality, even had enough left over to make a wallhanging. the pattern was the Garden Twist featured in every one of Keepsake's books.

I have purchased a couple of quilt kits. Most that I purchase are from Fat Quarter Shop, my favorite OQS :D . I have never had any issues with their kits. But I also like to do my own.

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    Or other project kit?

Were you glad that you did?

And did you actually use the kit? Or did it just join your stash?
    I've only bought one, once. It was a kit for Olivia the pig for my tiny granddaughter who loves Olivia. I had seen the quilt and knew it was just what I wanted to make, then it was impossible for me to find every one of the different prints in it. So I found the kit on-line and boy was I glad! It was perfect, and she loves it to death. I'm glad I found it.

8-)

Yes. I have done a few. I like them. I have about 4 I have not done yet.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast